Voracity's New Realms
New Realms of Imaginings

Site Info

We are the home of 1 author - Voracity.
There are 202 stories consisting of 485 chapters and 7299256 words.

RSS

Most Recent


Random Story


Other Sites


Skins



Ancient History.

[Reviews - 2]   Author Profile: Voracity2   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Jane finally managed to come out of Science to find Darcy knitting on the couch. She stared at her. "How long have you been able to knit?"

"Seventeen-forty-two. A little old lady in upper Italy taught me." She grinned at her.

"Uh-huh. So the kids?"

"Five sons."

"No daughters?"

"Family curse on daughters, Jane." She stared at her. "Thanks to Frigga actually."

"Shit." Jane pouted. "Thor said she was nice."

"She probably is to most everyone."

"Hmm. That's nice. So you're not Asgardian?"

"Nope."

"But how?" She waved a hand.

"It's hereditary. I have no idea where my people came from. Mom didn't share that part. The books had a few different versions on that point." She stared at her. "I hadn't met Thor before this." Jane nodded, relaxing again. "I've met his brother a few times."

"We have?"

"I have."

"Like....often?"

"About every decade for the longest time until about the seventies. Then it'd been three decades."

"Huh." She nodded. "Okay then." She cleared her throat. "Five sons?"

"Yeah. Birth control has been around since the Egyptians were using croc dung and rocks as IUD's, Jane." She smiled. "There's some other helpful things too. Including making sure there's no daughters."

"Like ever?"

"If I do have one, I'll die when she's fifteen." She looked at her. "That's the curse they laid on my people."

"But you age."

"Slowly but yes."

"You joked you get more done in one of your years than most people do a decade."

"Just about." She smiled. "Kind of."

"Oh. Okay." She nodded. "So you saw a lot of history."

"I did."

"Did you do anything in the books?"

"I had a temper during the civil war and took out a few southern towns."

"Huh." She nodded at that. "I would've too I guess. Do you like Thor?"

"At the moment, it's not a bad thing. If it becomes a bad thing, I'll show you how to fake grieve at a funeral." She stared at her.

"I know most women weren't academics."

"No, but my mother had taught me how to read. The villagers where I grew up called me a witch a lot because I survived the plague that got my parents. Thankfully no one wanted our little farm so I was mostly left alone until I was a full grown woman and then a priest decided I had to be a witch because I didn't want to submit to a husband." She shrugged. "Mostly after that I had a lot of weaving jobs."

"Weaving?"

"An important skill and one that women could work at and not be talked about. It let us have a lot of independence. Also let us earn our own salary. I can't sew worth a damn, to this day, but I was an excellent weaver."

"Huh. I didn't think about that." Darcy grinned again. "And the sons would be able to hold money for you since women couldn't really earn or own things." Darcy nodded. "Very interesting. Huh." She nodded, getting back to science.

"Go shower, Jane. Please?"

"Fine." She went to do that and change clothes. She realized she did stink a bit on the sweaty parts.

Darcy shook her head but got back to making herself a new hat. Sometimes she wondered why she was drawn to brilliant, slightly weird people like Jane and Loki. Then she realized if she knew she might end it by accident and she'd be truly bored then.

***

Loki looked at his people from his newly elected spot. It wasn't a lot. It'd grow from here however. He could definitely grow from here. He'd prove himself worthy and wanted, an inspiration to many. Though he may have to finally getting around to marrying because his people seemed to like that ideal. Which was rather weird to him but he'd handle that he supposed. He did have a few pretty maidens at hand.

Of course he looked up and saw a sight he didn't want to see. His youngest son. Oh, dear. This may be bad. He smiled as he walked over to him. "Cousin."

"Do not," he warned with a smile. "I'll tell Mom on you." He patted him on the cheek. "Let me move again though." He walked off muttering on his way to pack and find a better, easier place to live. Before the city turned on the new mayor and him because of it. That was something he didn't need in his life. He did send out a message where his father was for the others to track him. Or tell Mom. She might be amused. She certainly needed it these days.

"I'll catch up with my cousin later," he announced, making people happy that it had been a relative and not a boyfriend.

***

Darcy looked at the message she got and sighed. "Yeah, sure." She answered and put her phone back down to go back to doing Jane's paperwork. Again. It seemed never-ending sometimes.

"Do you ever just want to run away?" Jane asked suddenly.

"Yes, very frequently when I have to fill out this same form nine times before they accept it." Jane looked at her. So she waved the last copy. Which she was repeating, the same as she had the others and they kept finding a different thing wrong each time. "Why? Is it tequila time?"

"Yes it is." They headed out together, going to the nearest college bar. They always had nice drink specials and as usual Jane was partially broke. Not like they were the sort of women that men bought drinks for. Jane and she settled at a back table with the bottle and two glasses. "Are you two exclusive? Like together?"

"No." She shook her head with a smile. "I've had other lovers. He's had a ton of them."

"Huh. That blows."

"Yeah but I'd get bored with him too, Jane. Especially since I only saw him every decade or so."

"Point. I didn't think about that." She sipped her first drink. Darcy got her own and sipped it too. They could watch the kids play around for tonight. There weren't a lot of students in there but there were enough to be amusing while giving them covering noise for any discussions. "Do the boys do the same sort of aging thing?"

"Bit faster and they don't have the curse so they just last longer. My oldest is nearly two hundred." She stared at her. "Otherwise...." She shrugged and took another drink. "Same old same old."

"Huh." She nodded. "I haven't dated one, right?"

"No, dear."

"Thank god. That'd be creepy." She got another drink to sip. "Oh, that poor guy," she said with a point. "The girl just dropped him harshly."

"Sometimes girls do that," Darcy agreed. They looked at the nerdy guy, who was now pouting while the girl cackled with her friends. Jane got up to go talk to the poor kid. He was clearly a student, and clearly mostly broke, but that happened. Jane talking to him make him liven up and babble about his own ideas. Apparently he was in physics. Darcy rolled her eyes but Jane had a soft spot for other geeks. She brought him back to their table. "Hi. I'm Darcy, Jane's assistant and unpaid intern."

"Ian," he said, shaking her hand with a smile. "Are you an abd too?"

"No. I'm in poli-sci, not physics science." She smiled. "Sit. Go ahead, let Jane babble at you. She'll start that about drink four." Ian settled in with them to talk science with Jane. They were engrossed and inhaling a lot of the bottle. Darcy got another drink but they had the rest. Which figured. Darcy went to pick songs on the player in the corner, nodding at her selections.

Someone complained so she glared at her. "Yes, I'm a master's candidate, dear." The woman piped down because that was a higher rank than an undergrad like her little self. So Darcy picked something jazzy but classical and went back to the pool table. She could definitely shark there and maybe she'd take someone home. She didn't mind some young thing. The contraceptive spells worked on everyone who had balls.

***

Loki looked at his son that night, staring at him really as he packed. "You don't have to move. We could catch up."

"Everything you've touched down here breaks somehow and then it turns on the others around you instead of on you." He stared at him. "That's how Mom lost one of us. Though that had been a daughter and the spell failed to identify it." Loki winced. "She might've been happy then too. Who knows. Mom doesn't talk about that stuff." He went back to packing. "I can visit but I can't stay. I don't want the villagers to show up like I'm the evil scientist when you piss them off."

"I don't plan on it."

"You never do but mischief isn't a great foundation for serious things." He stopped packing to look at him. "Beyond that, I'm still really upset about how you treat Mom. You show up, get some, then disappear for a decade? Is that any way to treat a lover? Did you expect her to wait on you?"

"Of course not and I've never said we were exclusively together. Nor has she asked."

"Uh-huh. Do women have to ask?"

"Have you had a wife?" Loki demanded.

"Two now. Thanks." He stared at him. "And I really could've used your help with the one that had the accident and left me with a son." Loki winced, looking down. "But yet again, you ignored all that. Even when Mom got so damn sick and nearly died from it, nothing from you until you showed up for some nookie. Is that the example you want to set for any of us who have kids?"

"I have grandchildren?" he demanded.

"Um, yeah. At least two that I know of. Jacob's last wife had a daughter but they disappeared one night. I always thought it was to protect them but no idea."

"He's running for his life from your mother."

"I heard why." He stared at him. "You attacked your brother?"

"He deserved it!"

"Uh-huh. Nearly got Mom killed. Yeah." He stared at him. "Most sons are fiercely protective over their mothers. Aren't you?"

"I...mostly am," he admitted then sighed, looking up. He looked at him. "I did want to catch up."

"Then we can chat while I pack."

"I wish you wouldn't."

"I wish it wasn't necessary but it will be. The same as it was in Geneva."

"Fine." He sat down with a sigh to talk to his son like normal people did. "Did your mother expect exclusivity?"

"I'm pretty sure she expected something considering when she was brought up." He stared at him. "There's been a lot of times you didn't see us struggling," he said quietly. "Living on Mom's tiny pay." Loki grimaced but nodded. "Not like she could sell the family heirlooms."

"No, she shouldn't and she may have to hide them more often."

"I doubt that'll happen."

"Me as well." He looked at him. "If your mother had wanted that I may have been willing."

"For a once-a-decade hookup?" he snorted. "Really? She's been lonely and alone for a really long time. She'll pick up now and then but it never lasts."

"It shouldn't."

"It could. She could tell a true lover."

"She may," he agreed. "But that's dangerous."

"So is living in today's world. Look at what she does." He stared at him. "So anyway, about the new girlfriend you have?"

"I do not."

"Uh-huh. The leggy model sort clinging to your front?"

"Publicity. They demanded the local beauty queen do such." He stared at him. "Am I the reason you're this bitter?"

"Watching Mom try not to be is." He stared at him. "So kinda. Yeah." He nodded. "If you're going to treat Mom like a pro, you should probably compensate her for that." Loki winced. "Hmm. Yeah. She's like a super fatty dessert you adore but only have rarely to keep in shape."

"Damn it."

"Yup. Not that she'd tell you that. We all heard her after you'd disappear again. You're like a bird that shows up to be fed, or to lay eggs, then disappears until you're hungry again."

"It would draw attention to her. My mother would find out and have her killed."

"Your mother needs the broomstick pulled out."

"Probably. I have no idea why she has such hatred but it is annoying."

"Yes but she'll probably meet your mom some day."

"I hope not. My mother is a fierce warrior and witch."

"Almost got that last part right," he said dryly, nodding at the doorway. He went back to packing. "I wish you and Mom would get along better. I really do. You'd make a great stepdad sometimes." He stared at him. "But I won't see Mom hurt. Ever. We all agreed you'd go bye-bye really quick if we caught Mom crying over you again." He gave him a pointed look. "Now, go greet your people, *Cousin*."

"Fine." He stood up. "I do not mean to hurt her so."

"At least that's something nice." He stared at him. "Really. Especially since the world gets more complicated and dangerous all the time."

"Point." He went to talk to the people there to see him. "What's going on now?" he asked politely. They led him off to talk to him about what they had heard. He explained it as a widowed cousin's wife he had flirted with for years. That led into the earlier lie easily enough and if Darcy showed up that was something they could understand.

His son rolled his eyes but finished packing and headed out to his car so he could find a better hiding spot. Maybe he'd pop in on Jacob in his mountain cabin.

Loki watched hin go, trying not to be sad. He had turned into the sort of parent he never wanted to become. His son was now bitter just like he was, but for more healthy reasons. It really had to be worked on before he turned into Odin for real.

***

The convergence was starting and Darcy was worried. Thor wasn't exactly late but he should be here soon. "Jane, do not wander off," she warned. "I don't want to lose you to this weirdness. I'd hate to find a real job."

"Fine." She waved a hand while studying her meters and measuring devices. Thor appeared with a thump, making her smile as she walked over to him. "Two years?" She punched him. "Two years, Thor?"

"I'm sorry, my Jane. My father must send me specially at the moment." He pulled her closer to hug. "Lady Darcy." She nodded and took the meter to go wave around for Jane. He looked down at Jane, who he hugged harder. "I'm sorry I ignored your needs." He kissed her.

Jane smiled and led him around to show him what she had found. Darcy shook her head but let her be happy for now. Later she could chew on Thor for Jane.

***

After the battle at the college, Darcy looked at Thor, who was sad. "What's wrong?" They were on the apartment's roof to stare at the mess being cleaned up.

"My mother was killed by the elves."

Darcy licked her lips. "I'm sorry you lost your mother but I'm not really sorry about it at all, Thor. Did you want me to sympathize?"

"You lost yours."

"At fifteen when that curse hit her."

Thor winced. "No one can remove that, Darcy."

"I know that. Even if she was alive she couldn't and wouldn't. I don't know why she hated us but it wasn't my business because it was well before my mother was born."

"You've met my brother."

"Yes, a number of times," she said dryly. "What of it?"

"Do you prefer him to me?"

"I'd prefer you to be from another family and to quit upsetting Jane. Apparently calendars and clocks don't work on Asgard?"

"The bridge is still broken from our battle."

"Yes, I know. I saved him."

He winced. "You do know of him."

"Um-huh. I saw him usually about once a decade."

"Oh." He looked down then looked at her again. "You're well acquainted?"

"Slightly. Why?"

"I'm wondering about his life down here, Darcy. I do care about him. Though Father wants him back to be put back into his cell."

She snorted. "Your father's fucked in the head, Thor, and needs to be shown that. After all, he did nothing to help your mother when she was attacked. Most husbands would've rushed to help her even if she could protect herself. As you did Jane."

He blinked. "I..."

Darcy stared at him. "Wouldn't you?"

"I would," he admitted, thinking on that. "My father has problems."

"Everyone has problems. Some people have a ton of them though."

"True." He considered it. "I would not treat Jane that way."

"You'd better not."

He scowled. "You could not harm me, Darcy."

She snorted. "Do you know what it's like to butcher for the fall, Thor?"

He winced, stepping back. "You had?"

"I grew up in a cottage in a country village. Are you sure that I haven't?" She smiled. He slumped. "You will treat Jane like a precious thing in your life or I will teach her how to fake mourn."

He nodded. "I will not treat her poorly, Darcy. Not ever."

"You'd better not. The same as you'd better learn how to tell times and dates. Two years?" She walked off to go back to their apartment downstairs.

Thor considered things. Darcy was quite fierce. He was not feared of her, but he was worried she would find him unworthy and he would suffer greatly before he managed to defeat her. Though, if his brother knew her he may come to her aid. He really had to talk to his brother about her. Perhaps he knew why she was that way.

***

Loki looked up as Thor walked into his office, staring at him oddly. "What are you doing here?"

"Brother." It had taken him weeks to find him thanks to some new friends in SHIELD.

"Not likely." He leaned back to stare at Thor. "We both realize that, Thor."

"Mother still cared for you."

"Yes, most of the time. What's going on now?"

"You know of Darcy."

"I do."

"She said you've talked often?"

"Quite."

"She is not displeased that our mother died."

"Were I her, I wouldn't be either. She did cause Darcy to lose her mother. And many other mothers in her family lines." Thor slumped, grimacing. "If I had her skills, would I have let Frigga last that long?"

"She is but a paper doer."

Loki snorted. "Are you certain?"

"She..."

"Thor, she had avoided the daughterly curse for decades. Do you believe she did not read a single thing? Did not learn a single thing?" Thor grimaced but nodded once. "I would treat her as you would any other woman, and with more kindness than you're known for. Do not tamper with the ones she protects."

"She nags muchly about how long it took me to get back to my Jane."

Loki nodded. "As I would. I never made a time promise to her. Did you?"

"I said I would return when I could."

"And it was two years?"

"She said the same thing," he huffed.

Loki nodded. "Remember the lessons on making promises, Thor?"

"Yes." He grimaced at his feet then at his brother. "Could you have a life with her?"

"If she wishes she can tell me thus."

"It may not be something she wants as it may set off the daughter curse."

"Or there's ways around that," Loki said dryly. "She's had a son."

"There are?"

"Yes, Thor." Was his adopted brother really that stupid that he didn't understand birth control spells?

"Oh." He considered it. "How old is she?"

"No comment in case people listen in." He stared at him. "Do not mess with Darcy. She will not spare you. Even if I wanted to and begged she would not spare you. Even if Jane asked she would not spare you."

"She would not hurt me. I treat her as if a sister."

Loki smirked. "Do you? Well, that's probably better than you do a brother at least." He stood up. "You will not win against her, Thor. She is not an enemy."

"Mother cursed her family."

"Your mother was a bitch, Thor. That proved it. She wiped out a whole group of people because one of them wanted to leave her service to get away from your father being a groping asshole. She left before she was molested by Odin." Thor winced, slumping again. "It started a war thanks to your parents being evil assholes of the ages. Whole groups died because of it. Are you proud of that history?"

"No." He looked at him. "I would make peace."

"Is there a way to make peace? At least she tolerates you. You should feel proud. At least you have not died for dating someone she claims as family."

Thor looked at him. "Could you talk to her about it?"

"I have. It's why she has not taken out all of us."

"She could not."

"You'd be shocked."

Thor made a face. "I do not wish to harm her more."

"And yet, each time she sees you, she sees the family of the ones who took out her family, Thor." He stared around then at him. "She is exceptionally strong of will to not smite you."

"I understand. I will speak to her of thus."

"That's fine. I would assume you'd be on good behavior with the one she claimed as family."

"Do you believe she would attack me?"

Loki shrugged. "I have not any idea, Thor. She is not the typical woman."

"Does she battle?"

"No."

"Then that may help me if she does." Loki stared at him. "I would not plan on it but I may need tactics to get out of it alive."

"Yes, you would." Thor winced again. "As would I. We're...friendly but I would not guarantee I would survive. We did her family wrong. On purpose. She has every right to loathe us. To fight against us. To avenge her family. The fact she has not... well, she does have some mercy."

Thor nodded. "Thank you for your counsel, Brother." He left, going back to London. He had much to think about. Could he continue to see Jane with Jane's near-sister hating him?

Loki shook his head, sending Darcy a message. Magically so no one like SHIELD could trace it. He did not need them staring his way either.

***

Darcy saw the small scroll appear, taking it to read. Then she sighed. "Thor's worried I'm going to smite him."

Jane looked over. "I'm proud you haven't."

"Me too." She looked over. "It's nearly time for me to change lives so marry away, Jane. Just be careful of Odin."

She nodded. "I saw when I was up there." She got back to her math. "You change lives?"

"Yeah. I can't be this young and pretty forever, Jane."

"Point I guess." She looked at her. "How long do you have?"

"Few years at the most probably."

"Huh." She nodded. "Going back to college?"

"I seem to do that a lot." She smirked.

Jane frowned. "Really?"

"Really. You can't get a good job without it these days."

"Do you have another degree?"

"Yeah. Three of them." She smirked with a nod. "No comment beyond that though."

"Is one computers?"

"No, that was a matter of necessity. It comes in handy."

"I guess it would." She frowned. "Any in science?"

"No comment."

"In physics?"

"No. Comment." She smirked and pointed at the door, making someone yelp.

Jane got up to see who that had been. "It's the thieves from New Mexico, Darcy."

"Hmm. I hope they got what was coming to them," she quipped, getting up to go stare at him. Agent Coulson stared back. "You needed to eavesdrop?"

"What are you?"

"Really patient with you because you're not dead yet."

Phil blinked a few times. "Could you even do that?"

She smiled. "Don't tempt me to try. Men like you want to make me become the witch I was called many times." Phil stepped back, nodding at that. "Anything else today?"

"Can we speak, Lewis?"

"No." She smiled, shaking her head. "Not at all. Because you're the evil in my life." He nodded at that. "I'd hate to have to go into hiding from you and your people. I would and then I'd repay it by being the next evil thing." She smirked. "Anything else today?"

"Are you a real threat to us?"

"That depends on you and yours."

He nodded. "We are interested in having you and your boss work for us. We can hide your...condition."

"No. Because you're not going to do that and I don't want to be a test subject. What I am, I was born as." He slumped. "And I don't care what your people want. You're threatening my existence and I'm not going to go extinct like some rare species of animal you've hunted to extinction. Or I'd have to repay the favor like I was a tiger."

"Are you why we found HYDRA?"

"I think that was someone else." She smiled. "I doubt you'd find him to talk to him."

"No, we cannot find our former agent."

She shrugged. "I've told his parents."

"Are you one of his parents?"

"No," she lied. She looked totally honest. She had learned how to lie excellently back before she had moved on from her first village.

"All right. If you should find more?"

"I don't like HYDRA. I only deal with them when I run into them though."

"I can understand that." He nodded. "All right. We would still like you to work for us."

"So you can steal more of my work?" Jane demanded. "No. Thank you anyway, Agent Coulson. I'd never work for SHIELD. You're thieves and you're dishonest. I don't need that complication because my work has bigger implications that could bring harm if it's misused. Your people would definitely misuse it. As the one who stole it from you when you stole it from me did just yesterday."

"That thing in Ireland?"

"Yes," Jane said with a nod. "That was something old that I had worked on. It got stolen by your people and then someone somehow got it from you. Then they used it to nearly destroy a city. That's not *my* fault since you stole it."

"I understand, Dr. Foster. Is there a way we can help you guard it?"

"Yes. End SHIELD," Darcy said. "Before you steal more harmful things."

He grimaced. "It was not for that reason."

"Yes but that was what happened," Jane reminded him. "You stole it. They got it from your agents. It's your fault and I'm not going to be blamed for that. I've already noted to the agents that showed up here what it was and how you stole it from me back then. I'm pretty sure they're trying to talk to some of your people." She walked off. "C'mon, Darcy. We need to move somewhere safer. Again."

"I've got some ideas." She nodded politely at the agent before slamming the door in his face.

Jane was ranting in the kitchen, mostly to her phone to her mother. Darcy was settling in to pack up the notes, finish what needed to be finished today, and then make plans to have them moved. She always worried about sudden moves, about her stuff being left behind for Jane's. About losing family heirlooms or everything really. But this time, they needed to get away from SHIELD. Before she had to do something drastic. SHIELD really needed to end for good. And take HYDRA with them.

She heard the agent still out in the hallway and huffed but he walked off a few minutes later thanks to someone else coming up the stairs. She smelled the familiar scent and smiled because that was her favorite grandson. He was such a good boy - when he wanted to be. If it wouldn't endanger them she'd introduce Jane to her boys but that would put them in trouble because Jane got drunk and chatty.

***

Loki showed up that night, staring at Darcy where she rested on the couch. "They really are quite pushy," he noted quietly, sitting by her feet.

She nodded. "They are. Most everyone is. Unless you're not talking about SHIELD?"

"No, I was." He stared at her. "Thor is worried you'll smite him."

"Thor should be worried. The first time he treats Jane wrong, I'm there." She stared at him. "The same as I would be for the sons."

"Do you claim her as your adult daughter?" he joked.

"No because I have the feeling that would set off the curse."

"I do not know," he admitted. He nodded at Jane as she came out. "Foster."

She stared at him. "Who're you?"

He grinned. "Loki."

"Thor warned me about you. Are you here to annoy Darcy? We've got to plan a move soon."

"I had plans of perhaps taking her to bed if she wanted." Darcy snorted, shaking her head. "Your son said it's been a while."

"No, there was a coed the other night," she quipped. He stared at her, one eyebrow arched up. "Did you expect me to wait?"

"No," he admitted. "As I know you didn't expect me to wait."

"You're the one who set the visiting schedule."

"True." He sighed. "I do not wish an argument."

"I'm all for hugs and cuddles." She sat up. "Otherwise, I'm sleeping on this couch."

He held out a hand with a grin. "Then come to my suite. It's most generous." She looked at Jane, who rolled her eyes but let them go together. He took her with him to his rooms, letting her look around. He smiled. "It's very nice here."

"It is. Cleaner than the ones in London too." He snorted, kissing her. She cast the spell that wove around his balls, preventing him from giving any female producing sperm. He wiggled and winced but nodded it was well set. She cast the one on herself that wouldn't allow a female pregnancy to progress. He stared down at her. "Never can be too careful."

"True, you never can be." He kissed her again, making her sigh and lean into him. "I'll use a condom anyway."

"Thank you."

"Did you at least disease check the young thing?"

"Of course. Did you with your last one? It was on the news with that leggy blonde hanging on you."

"She was a local beauty queen they made do that, Darcy. Are you jealous?"

She shook her head with a smirk. "You're not around long enough for me to have a reason to become jealous." He rolled his eyes but did take her to bed, making her a happy woman a few times that night while he got his own happiness. They laid there together, thinking thoughts about their families and the future plans they had to make to protect them.

They weren't the same thoughts. Or even in the same vein. Which might cause a huge problem for Loki and his sons. Or maybe just SHIELD to protect the sons.

***

"So, let me get this straight," Jane said while Darcy was making her walk around the park.

"Not where there's people who could listen, Jane."

"Fine." She looked at her. "You two are the epitome of slow burn, aren't you?"

"Yeah, pretty much." She nodded. "Not my choice. It might've been nice to have someone there but like many men, he disappears as soon as he's gotten fed his desired amount of puss."

Jane nodded. "I'm hoping Thor doesn't."

She snorted, shaking her head. "I'll kill his ass."

"Darcy!"

"I will!" She smirked at her. "Really."

"Uh-huh. I should get to give yours a shovel talk then."

"He shows up once a decade to get sex, Jane. He's more a long term one night stand."

"That makes sense I guess." She put her hands in her pockets. "The weather here is a lot different from New Mexico."

Darcy nodded. "I love the countryside too. A lot of foggy mornings, dew dampened grass, all that stuff." They shared a grin then at the man walking toward them. "Jane, did you wish up an engineer to appear in front of us?"

"No." She stared at him oddly. "Mr. Stark."

"Dr. Foster. Dr. Lewis." He stared at her. She quirked up an eyebrow. "That was truly fantastic."

"I need to go eat SHIELD's files."

"Wasn't. I did a better background check and ran into your daughter?"

"Not hardly. Curses on having daughters in my family."

"Huh. Okay. How...." She shrugged. "Asgardian?"

"Apparently at one point in time my people came from up there but Frigga cursed my people to that daughter curse." She grimaced. "And if you tell people I have to take you out to protect myself."

"Gladly, kid." He waved a hand. "SHIELD's still coming, ladies."

"We know," Jane agreed. "We're working on a move."

"And you work with a lot of them," Darcy reminded him. "They're infesting your building."

"I'd love them to stop that." He stared at her. "We can guard you both."

"For what price?"

"I like to have geniuses around me who could solve problems I create," he said sarcastically. "Really, Lewis."

"I don't know. Jane, New York?"

"I can't find stars in the city from the light pollution."

Stark looked at her. "We have other facilities. We're going to try to keep Thor anyway for upcoming battles."

Darcy nodded. "I'm so glad I defeated one by not letting Thor torture his brother some more." She walked around him. "You two talk, Janey. I see a person I know." She strolled over to where her grandson was watching. "Such a pretty day for a pretty boy to be out here staring at dowdy women in heavy jackets," she said dryly, smirking at him.

"We're guarding you two from HYDRA," he shot back with a smirk.

"Aww, thanks, baby." She blew a kiss. "Yeah, that's Jane."

"I noticed. Is that Tony Stark?"

"He's trying to seduce us to come work for him."

"Hmm. He gets a lot of attention." He stared at her. "What about when you have to disappear next time?"

"You know, there's a lot of people who're going back to hippie living styles." She winked, strolling on. The SHIELD agent gave her a dirty look so she zapped him, making him yelp and get away from her. "No SHIELD agents near the Jane," she said in a sing-song manner. "You know better!" The guy fled. She sighed, going to pet a dog across the park.

"Such a pretty puppy," she cooed. It sniffed and all but curled up in her lap to get cuddles. "Good puppy." The owner looked amused. She smirked at him. "Yeah, Jacob told me about you, dude. If you're looking for him, he's hiding. If you're looking for me, I'm hiding." She grinned. "I should take the dog though."

"Don't touch the wife's dog, Lewis," he said dryly. "There's a ton of agents around this park."

She winked. "Are you sure?" She got up and pet the dog one last time before walking back to Jane and casting some magic at the agents. She had to avoid hitting her grandson and one other one was apparently related. She stared at that young woman. No, she wasn't one of them. She was some sort of other semi-Asgardian or not human being apparently. She went back to Jane and Stark, walking Jane off. Stark huffed but followed. "We have a lot of agents in the park, Stark. Let's get somewhere less under surveillance. Before I have to rescue myself and Jane?"

"I'd help," he offered.

She smirked at him. "SHIELD would prevent it probably."

"I don't listen to them, Lewis. They had someone come in to corporate espionage me and my old stuff." He smiled at them. "So, lunch? My treat?"

"We can eat," Darcy said. "Jane forgot breakfast and lunch."

Jane sighed. "Sorry, Darcy."

"It's fine, dear." She patted her on the arm as they walked past the other agent. "Hey, SHIELD lady. Do I have to zap you too?"

"Um, hopefully not. We'd like to talk to Dr. Foster?"

"No." Jane smirked and shook her head. "Hell no in fact. Have a great day on some other realm." The agent stepped back with a nod. "Thanks though." She looked at Tony as they walked. "Does that package come with a paycheck for Darcy? I've had her as an unpaid intern for years and she deserves a paycheck."

"Yeah, we can do that." He looked at her. "Are you wanting to stay with Jane?"

"Yup. She'll starve or die from not showering otherwise."

"Do you have a beef with Thor?"

She shrugged. "Not totally. As long as he treats Jane well." She stared at him and he shivered because he could see the age in her eyes now. "He knows that though." She hid it again. Jane was sighing and looking up at that. "Paps," she warned with a subtle point.

"They know I collect geniuses," Stark quipped. "I've got a great collection of them in Stark Industries." He winked at Jane, who grinned back. "So, maybe the new one I'm building upstate? Or maybe the facility in Malibu?"

"The US is a bit dangerous with SHIELD around," Jane reminded him. "They can get to us easier there, Stark."

"That's reasonable." He nodded. "We have a few other places but they're mostly manufacturing instead of labs. We can look at that over lunch, ladies." He got them into his car and got in to drive. Jane was in the backseat for some reason. He glanced at Lewis.

"I fit back here and she doesn't, Stark. She's slightly taller."

"Plus it's a safer spot in case of a crash," Darcy agreed.

"You two are clearly together," he joked.

"Nah, Jane doesn't cuddle. Jane's into abs and rough hands. I like me some smarts but catty and sarcastic ones."

He glanced at her. "Seriously?"

"Yeah. I know Thor's brother. And he does realize this."

"By myths that was Loki?"

"Yeah, chaos god."

"Oooh." He winced. "Is that the one that would've invaded New York?"

"Yup. Longer story there."

"Is that longer story why we had a lot of frogs suddenly?"

"They'll revert in a few hours."

"Okay," he decided with a nod. "You're dangerous, Lewis." He grinned at her.

"Yup, had to protect myself for a long time, Stark. Usually by myself."

"Jane mentioned the possibility of a son?"

"Jane!"

"Sorry, it slipped out."

"Yeah, I do have a son. He's fine. Hiding like hell from SHIELD too."

"The one you talked to?"

"No, he's from a different agency and he's very nice. I ran into him years ago and ended up helping him during a case or whatever. He's cultured, snarky, smooth, and absolutely the man you'd never want to introduce to your mother. But he's cute and he can cook better than some chefs."

Tony hummed. "That's good. His agency?"

"UNCLE."

"Fuck, that was a show."

"Yes, they were amused." She grinned.

Tony sighed, shaking his head. "Great. Just...great. Do you know Mork?"

"Nanoo, nanoo," she quipped. "But no. They seem like neat people though. That backward aging seems neat."

"Huh," he said quietly, then blinked a few times. "Wow." She grinned when he stared at her when he had to stop for a light. "You're...real original, Lewis."

"Of course I am."

"Okay. I can put up with that. We'll work out how to protect you guys from SHIELD. If your...son shows up we'll see if he's employable so you can have kiddo time with him."

"He'd run from me. He's got a bad taste in girlfriends," Darcy quipped. "The last one was okay but she was a pageant girl and very greedy. From what he pouted she was good at being his little girl but she was also one to a few other guys to earn money on her back." She shrugged. "It happens. We see plenty of it in men too."

He nodded. "I've met plenty of that sort of woman. And men too." He parked and got them out so they could go inside to eat. He noticed one agent and sighed. Darcy carefully cursed her to have to run to the bathroom suddenly. The waitress was confused as she rushed past her but oh well. They settled down; Tony grinned at her for that move. "Cute."

"Yes we are." Jane nodded to agree with her.

***

Darcy looked up as the new lab's door opened, nodding at the agent there. "Hey, it's boyband jack booted thug!" she chirped. Jane glared at him.

"Not here for SHIELD, ladies. I'm an Avengers member most of the time now," Clint Barton said. "Can we interest either of you into coming for movie night? Thor's back."

"And he hasn't called me?" Jane asked. "Uh-huh."

Clint grinned. "He said you'd fuss."

"Ya think?" Darcy quipped back. "You have fun, Jane. I'll finish the filing and putting away."

"Okay. Thanks. Have fun on the train."

"Of course."

"You could live here," Clint said. "Stark would let you."

Darcy looked at him. "I don't worry about Stark, I worry about SHIELD being nosy fucks, Archer Boy." He grimaced at that. "We've already removed a few bugs and threw them off a balcony. They can have fun picking up the pieces."

He winced again. "That's gonna cause a fit."

"Oh well!" She grinned. "Have fun and guard Jane like I would."

"Of course." He walked Jane off while Darcy finished filing and putting things into locking cabinets. And a few safes. Which she changed the combination on. She also added something she had made so even if they could open it, it'd stop them. She gathered her things and headed for the nearest subway station.

It meant taking a train a few stops to transfer but she didn't want to walk up to that station tonight. She acted like she had her iPod on and she was bopping to the music but it wasn't. So when someone grabbed her bag to try to take it, she spun with the move and kicked them in the knee. That made them fall. She walked on faster, shaking her head. "Muggers," she complained loudly. "Just what I need today."

The agent she had kicked reported that in. She wasn't just a simple woman apparently.

On the train, Darcy noticed a redhead staring at her and stared back. "You're very pretty but I'm not into women, dear. Sorry." She smiled slightly. "Or agents for that matter." She got back to watching the walls zip past outside the train.

The redhead moved closer to her. "I'm supposed to make sure you get home, Miss Lewis."

She stared at her. "That's nice, but you won't. Any agent gets near my place and the security system comes up."

"How can you tell an agent?"

She smiled. "I know." The agent raised a manicured eyebrow. "Don't you worry about that, dear. But have a great night. Stark said they're doing a movie night since Thor's back." The redhead snorted. Darcy got up because this was her stop. She got off and got onto the transfer train, which was about to leave. The agent didn't manage to make it on so that was nice. Of course, she probably reported that so Darcy could watch out for other agents.

She casually looked around, smiling and petting the dog in a bag next to her. "Good pupkins." The owner looked at her. "I love dogs." The guy grinned back. She got off a few stops before hers and then got onto another train. It'd make her night atrociously long but it was safer. She finally made it home by the station that was a few blocks from her apartment, heading up and turning on the security system as she walked in. Someone in her kitchen yelped. "Oh, dear, an agent," she sighed. "Whatever shall I do, future frog?"

"That thing is worse than your little lightening toy," Loki complained, coming to the doorway to stare at her. She grinned at him for that. "You're later than you usually were?"

"Agents on the train. Not happy being a mayor?"

"Making sure you haven't smited Thor yet."

"Not yet. He just got back."

"He left my office two weeks earlier after trying to find a way around you smiting him." She grinned at that. "He thinks you simple, Darcy."

"Of course he does. I'm not like him. I don't need a hammer to channel my powers." He grinned at that. "So, how's being a mayor?"

"Fairly decent. Not many problems so far. I'm making chicken and rice."

"Cool. I could eat." She came in to wash her hands and set the table. He stirred the chicken pieces in the frying pan, smiling slightly at her as she moved around and turned on music. Something loud and shrieking made him yelp but it meant that the listening devices were dead apparently. He served and settled in to eat with his babies' mother. It was peaceful and no one had any complaints at him. She looked nice enough and ate for a change. "Jane is running you ragged," he said quietly.

She shrugged. "It's the whole moving process. A lot of moving things and unpacking things." She waved her fork around in the air then got more food on it to eat.

He nodded. "I've had a few days like that. Our youngest was back near there. Apparently he had a relationship that he broke when he moved suddenly."

She grimaced. "I stay out of most of it, Loki."

"I know. It lends you sanity." He dug in again, smiling at the plate then at her. "You need to relax."

"I'm surrounded by agents but it's good for Jane's career. I'm leaving this life in a few years though." She stuffed her mouth again.

"You can come hide among my new people."

She stared at him. "Didn't we do that in Geneva?"

"Do hush," he ordered with a huff at the end. "That was not my doing or my plan."

She hummed but nodded. "I was thinking a cozy little farmstead thing." She went back to eating, getting up to get seconds. He held up his plate so she split it with him. "Thank you for cooking tonight."

"It's not a problem. I needed to cook anyway." They had their seconds then he leaned back to stare at her. She finished her last bite, sipping her water to clear the food from her mouth. "It's a good night for a dance," he said casually.

"It is." She smiled. "But we have no room in here."

"There is a roof, Darcy. I can cast an illusion so none can see us."

"Then I accept. Though I have no idea how to get up there."

He smirked, getting up to take her up there. They settled in to dance under the moonlight with his illusion covering for them. Not a waltz, but the music from a nearby apartment was jazzy so that was good to sway to. It was good between them. He twirled her around and pulled her closer again, ignoring the one that was flying past. Thor could mind his own business. Preferably soon. Darcy zapped him so he fell with a yelp as the leather thong on his hammer broke and she fell out of his hand. Loki snickered into her hair, cuddling her closer. "So damn mean," he said in her ear.

"Thank you, dear." She leaned up to kiss him. "He's too nosy." He nodded, smiling as they finished dancing because the music had cut off. He led her back down to her apartment to get to the usual comforting things they did together. It meant Darcy didn't get any sleep that night, but neither did he, and he was energized by it. The spells always worked for them thankfully.

***

Darcy strolled into the lab the next morning. "Morning, Jane."

Jane looked at her. "You changed the safe combos?"

"Yeah." She plucked the device off to hold up. "Because someone tried to get into it." She grinned. "They're not happy with their lack of feeling in their hands."

"It doesn't EMP, right?"

"No, Jane." She opened the safe to hand her the laptop she used. Jane sighed as she got into it. "Saw Thor out for a fly last night?"

"He got bored and went to find something to drink," she sighed. She looked at Darcy, who shrugged. "Yeah, I'm..."

"Okay. We can handle that." She settled at her desk, checking it for new additions. Which got put into her empty coffee cup and then thrown down the trash chute in the hallway. She came back to get to work on Jane's paperwork.

Thor stomped in and huffed when he saw Darcy. "Are you why I fell last night, Lady Darcy?"

She looked at him. "Why would I have done that, Thor?"

"I saw you and my brother sharing a moment."

"He's an excellent dancer. It was nice of him to blow off stress by dancing with me." She stared at him. "Why were you in Brooklyn?"

"I was looking for mead."

"You won't find it," she offered. "Order it online."

"Fine." He walked over to kiss Jane on the cheek. "Are you busy all day?"

"I have to finish calibrating and setting up the machines, Thor." She looked at him. "I waited up for you last night so we could reconnect." He winced but nodded once. "Dinner tonight if you're not handling something?"

"That would be nice, Jane." He nodded at Darcy. "Of course I will watch over her for you."

"I know you will. Especially since someone tried to get into her work safe last night." He winced but went to talk to Stark about that. She looked at Jane. "Have fun. I'm probably making popcorn for dinner while I watch something fun."

"Why do you look so tired?"

Darcy grinned. "If he hasn't done that to you at least once, he needs a long lecture on how to treat a girlfriend, Jane." Jane blushed and ducked her head but she was smiling.

Stark stomped in. "What was that device? They said it was explosive." She held it up for him to look over. "No wonder that guy has no feeling in his hand." He looked at her. "You said he was a spy."

"Ah, him." She grinned. "I'll see what his bosses thought they were doing later." Stark handed it back. "That one's dead. I've got another one and I can rebuild one later."

"I want to see if I can make it better." He stared at her. "Romanoff said you avoided her on the train."

"Yeah. I don't like being followed home." She stared at him. "Especially not by agents. They don't need to know where I live or anything, though I did throw out a few devices of theirs last night too."

"They're mad about that. Those things cost money."

"Then they shouldn't throw them away by putting them in our things," Jane said dryly. "I threw out a few in the lab and in my bedroom, Stark."

"I'll have someone remove them." He walked off humming, bouncing that device in his hand. He really had to talk to people about all that. He didn't like it any more than the ladies did. He ran into the director, Nick Fury, staring at him. "Leave Foster and Lewis the hell alone, Fury. We all hate you putting devices in their things and trying to steal their work. I'd hate to see what your people do with a portal to another realm."

He walked around him. "JARVIS, any listening or taping devices that aren't our security system, they go up immediately and any new ones go up as soon as you see them please." All along the hall, devices went off and so did smoke alarms. He grinned at Fury. "That solves most of that problem. We'll find the remains to hand over later. Have a good day." Behind him Nick Fury was complaining until he started to bark. Stark looked then laughed. Fully human but barking instead of talking. "Lewis," he said happily.

"Not me," she called. "It came from upstairs. Ask Thor if it was him."

Stark grinned, going to ask Thor about that. "Did you cast the spell or whatever that's making Nick Fury bark like a pomeranian?" he asked.

Thor blinked a few times at him. "My gifts do not go towards magic, Friend Stark. Was it perhaps my love's friend?"

"She said it wasn't. It came from up here."

Thor looked around. "I do not see my brother but he is a master of illusions." He called him. "Was that spell yours?" He listened to Loki complaining he was busy with sewer updates. "I see. Thank thee, Loki." He hung up. "It was not him. I have no idea, Man of Iron."

"Okay. If you find out, let me know. All the listening and taping devices that aren't supposed to be here are gone," he announced toward the kitchen. "Fury could use some help too. He's barking."

Natasha Romanoff went to check on that weirdness. Fury was swearing in many barks; the director was about to lose his shit really. "Interesting." She walked off, taking film on her phone for now. "This will make some agents very happy to see." She hummed as she walked off. Fury was trying to catch her to grab the phone but she made it into the elevator before he could grab it. She sent it to her whole contacts list, the one of agents. The others wouldn't care if Nick Fury was borking a lot.

***

Darcy stared at that same agent that night. "Agent Romanoff, I didn't know you lived outside the tower," she said quietly but sarcastically. "Are you going to make my night longer by having to try to ditch your people?"

"We are making sure you get home safely, Miss Lewis."

"Hmm. I don't worry about that."

"They worry about you."

"Why?"

"HYDRA seems to think you're interesting."

"That's because someone blew up one of their bases, and I know who they were?" she asked with a smile. "I believe you talked to Jacob after that."

"Yes but they cannot find him. They can find you."

She snorted. "I can disappear into the ether and they'd have to put up with it, Agent Romanoff. They do not worry me. SHIELD worries me."

The agent tipped her head. "That is probably wise. They are very confused by you."

"Good. Keep them that way please." She smiled as she stood up to get off. "Once I'm more secure I'll start taking a cab or something. Okay? That way you're not forced to ride the subway every evening?"

"That could be nice. You could have lived in the tower."

"Why would I want that level of attention and all the spying going on?"

"Point I suppose. But most people wouldn't be aware."

"Yes but most people weren't nearly kidnaped by SHIELD a few times," she shot back. "We really wish they had died."

"They have their uses."

"Not when they're trying to steal Jane's work they don't."

"Perhaps. We can help you get home in a safer manner. You could drive."

Darcy snorted. "Drive a car in *this* city?"

"Point I suppose. You could live closer."

"No, I needed more than four hundred square feet in my apartment. Thanks though." She got off with half of everyone else. "Have a good night."

"Fine." She watched her go, calling that in. Thor had said that Darcy Lewis was not the average woman and could become a threat to him. She wasn't sure why, yet. But it was interesting. Why was Thor worried about that one young woman who was not trained to even defend herself properly? She knew Stark had something on her but not what because whatever it was he hadn't written down. So it was very odd. She would worry about the girl getting near the team but she seemed to want to avoid them almost completely.

***

Darcy looked over as the door opened. "Captain," she said with a nod. She glanced at Jane, who was stuck in science land. "If you need her, it'll take an act of coffee and food probably to get her attention. Her dinner should be here soon if you want to wait."

"No, I was going to invite whichever of you is Jane up for the team dinner? I didn't know she had an assistant."

"I'm Darcy," she said with a smile and a wave. "As for dinner.... She's got to talk to an observatory later tonight. Not sure how that'll work. Her order can sit in the fridge though. JANE!" Jane flinched, staring at her. She pointed. "Team dinner night?"

"No thank you." She pushed her hair back. "I need to figure out this anomaly before I talk to the Peruvian people tonight. But thanks. Tell Thor I'll see him tomorrow?"

"Sure." He looked at Darcy. "Thor's awfully worried about you for some reason."

She grinned. "That's because he knows I'm going to kill his dumb, blond ass if he hurts Jane." She shrugged a bit, looking every bit like the twenty-something she was pretending to be. "I'm creative and we had to have a shovel talk after he said he'd be right back and took two years."

He winced. "Even I know that's too long. So that's why?"

"Yeah, probably. If it's for some other reason I'll poison him some day soon."

"Can you?"

"Yeah. It's not that hard to poison someone, Rogers. Ask the SHIELD people." He just nodded as he walked off. She looked at Jane. "No wonder I've been followed home by SHIELD people!"

"Shit," Jane muttered. "What did he do?"

"I don't know. I really don't." Darcy grinned at her. "But I suggest he stop it." Steve walked back in. "What's up?"

"Why doesn't Thor like you?"

"Because his mother cursed my family to die if we ever had a daughter," she said bluntly. "She's just a bitch that way." Steve looked confused. "Getting in way old arguments, Rogers. Just...get out of the way if I have to go after him for him hurting Jane. Okay?"

"Can you really poison him?"

"Yeah. It's not that hard." She stared at him. "Ask the agents."

"They're really confused by you."

"Good!" She smiled. "That's better than bugging my damn bedroom like they keep doing. They must really have a lot of tech budget to throw away that way." He flinched back. "And I'm really over SHIELD's whole shit, Rogers. Okay?" She smiled again. "They brought it on themselves by stealing things from us.

"Then something *somehow* got out of their grubby little hands and got sold to someone who used it to almost take out a city in Ireland. This lab is very anti-SHIELD agents. Of any kind." He nodded at that. "And if Thor's trying to poison people against me, that's between me and Thor. Got it?" He nodded, leaving it there again. She got up to lock the door, staring at Jane.

"If you hit him, I want film." She got back to work. "Dinner?"

"Should be about twenty more minutes." She called down to the desk to alert them that they'd be getting dinner delivered soon and she could come get it. Then she went back to collating data. She'd figure out what she wanted to do to Thor later that night. When she wasn't under surveillance. Or at least not as much of it.

***

Darcy came in a few days later and the thing she was carrying set itself off as she walked into the lab. The shriek made Jane cover her ears but all the listening devices exploded. One of the laptops had a small fire but Darcy got that handled and the faulty thing that had been slid in got tossed out too. She put it on the desk and looked at Jane, who grinned and got back to work. The AI hadn't complained but Stark strolled in a few minutes later. "Bug killer?" she offered, holding it up.

"I heard the shriek, Lewis." He looked it over. "Very compact." He handed it back. "Let me go do my lab." He took it back to do that. All the nasty bugs went off. "JARVIS, are there any others?"

"Two cameras were both rendered unable to tape but they're still whole, sir." He put a tiny light on them. Tony got them to throw out. He went back to check on Lewis' lab. "Sir, there's only one camera and it is not rendered unoperable." Darcy got up to look at it then got it with her tazer. That finished that thing off. It exploded and destroyed itself.

Darcy put her tazer back into her bag and took the device back with a grin. "Thanks, Mr. AI."

"That's JARVIS," Tony said dryly. "I want the plans for that, Lewis." She shrugged but grinned at him. "You're not a bimbo. You made that."

"Perhaps."

"Yeah, uh-huh." He stared at her so she did cough up the plans for him to build his own. "Thanks." He walked off going over them to see if he could improve them. She was okay but not great as an electrical engineer. Clearly just an undergrad level of skill. He could make it more effective, wider ranging, and smaller probably. He ran into Romanoff in the hallway. "What now?"

"What was that device?"

"Bug killer." He went into his lab, locking the door after himself. Just in case she tried to steal more things.

"How did Lewis find that?" she demanded.

Darcy leaned out of her lab. "Sometimes we gotta find weird things to keep Jane safe, Romanoff. What did you expect me to do, keep flushing the damn things?" She pulled back in and then tossed the device into the hallway. All those bugs went off too. A few labs came over to look at it. "To kill e-bugs."

"Cool," one chemist said, taking it to do her lab. Yup, she had some too. The other labs all borrowed it for a few minutes to clear their own labs. They knew they might miss a few but the AI helped with that.

Romanoff was very confused. Why was the lab bugged? No one had told her about that. She tried to get Stark's attention but he was in the middle of working to heavy metal music again. She did gather up the remains of the devices to look them over. Yes, that was mostly SHIELD's designs. She handed them back to the assistant director that night, getting a dirty look.

"From the labs at Stark's building. They were not happy and destroyed them with something Lewis found." She walked off thinking about Darcy Lewis. She was not usual and not normal, even though she appeared to be a quirky young woman.

She was clearly not a spy, she had strong attachments for Jane Foster.

She wasn't a scientist like Foster. She was a humanities person apparently.

She had a displeased tolerance for Thor, when most people seemed to take to him almost immediately. Thor felt threatened by her as well, which was odd in itself.

Her internet history was practically clean but she had been looking at universities in Europe. Perhaps to help Foster go lecture, perhaps not. Many students did seem to want to study abroad and being in the humanities that made sense to her. You got to know more people that way.

She was pretty enough but didn't really show off her body at all. She wasn't scared of it, but she did cover up for modesty she didn't profess to believe in. And she did not date even though she was fairly pretty. She didn't go to bars to talk to people most of the time either. Thor had reported that Lewis knew someone else he knew and they had seen each other a few times. No names had been given though.

She had contacts that made that one agent flee for his existence before they ended it. That agent had fallen completely off the grid when he started a new life. Unless they ran into him on the streets they'd never be able to find him. That same agent had helped blow up a HYDRA base because his parents had apparently asked. It was probably that agent who had told Darcy who was a SHIELD agent around her to protect herself from them.

She had been seen talking to a spy from another group once in London, even had kissed him on the cheek, but that agent was known to be flirty so they might have had a fling or something for all she knew. If that was her taste, no one in the tower was going to be on her list to date so that was a good thing to know. Though the harmless ones that most women drooled on seemed to set Lewis' hackles up. Rogers hadn't even gotten a gooey look from her.

She wasn't Asgardian. Thor had said she wasn't. Could she be from some other culture up there? That could be possible and why she hated Thor. It would explain a few things about her behavior but she was still not fitting well into that mold of a recent immigrant to earth.

So who or what was Darcy Lewis and did she have to worry about her?

***

Jane followed Darcy home that weekend. They had things planned for so she was staying on her couch for the night. Jane started to ask a question but Darcy shook her head. "We're not at the tower."

"SHIELD and others can hack into any publically sourced video system for security reasons. It was part of the 9-11 authorizations, Jane," she said quietly, waving a hand at the camera.

"Oh, I didn't know about that." She considered it. "What did chemistry and computers have to do with weaving? I saw something online about that."

Darcy smiled. "Weaving would also probably include the spinning parts and the dying parts, so that's chemistry there. To make the wool or whatever stronger, the dyes better, all that. As for computers." She crossed her feet, staring at her buddy. "The first computers, you've seen them and the punch cards?" Jane nodded, of course she had. "Well, those are the same as the cards that weaving machines use to make the patterns when it's not a woman using the loom herself."

"So all that came from weaving. Which is why so many women were into computers originally," she realized. Darcy smiled and nodded. "Interesting." She considered it. "Are you weaving?"

"I am. I finally got the loom set up. Just the table top one so it's only scarf width. I can't get my big one out of storage because it'd never fit in my apartment unless I gave up the couch and the bed." Jane nodded she got that.

"What are you planning now for next move?"

"College town probably. I thought about going after a history degree but I'd have to smack someone who dissed peasants." Jane nudged her with her shoulder so she grinned back. "Seriously."

"I know you would. Go for something like IT so it uses your skills."

"Yeah but that stuff bores me greatly."

"It pays well."

"It does." She considered that. "Maybe network admin or something then. Or maybe something like PR work for social media. Speaking of, I was asked if you had any social media." Jane shook her head quickly. "I told that college that you didn't because it was a distraction and people stole stuff and threatened you so you only had a small facebook presence to keep up with some friendly geeks." Jane grinned at that. "He'll send you things the normal way to show you about coming to talk to their university. Which you probably won't want to do. It's a conservative college and they'd hate who you're dating. They had a huge demonstration."

Jane grimaced. "We'll see then. I could open a lot of minds." Darcy nodded. "I guess I could also get a lot of those comments from men that make me want to open their skulls instead."

"Don't tempt me, Jane." They got up to switch trains, Darcy holding onto Jane's arm so she didn't get lost in all the people. "C'mon, we've got to switch tracks." She led her to that one and it got them closer to her apartment than the usual ones. It did mean they'd have to cross a busy street but it was a block closer. Jane would appreciate that more.

***