Voracity's New Realms
New Realms of Imaginings

Site Info

We are the home of 1 author - Voracity.
There are 203 stories consisting of 486 chapters and 7315386 words.

RSS

Most Recent

Where It All Began. FRT
Where It All Began with the future bisexual disaster team members. And a fairly...

Random Story

Be Careful Where You Wish FRC
Just what the title says

Other Sites


Skins



For Want of Something Done.

[Reviews - 2]   Author Profile: Voracity2   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Xander looked at the judge a few days later. "Yes, Your Honor?"

"Are you their son?"

"Unfortunately, as far as I know. My mother was drunk when I was conceived so there's no telling who she screwed to make me. I asked her that once and she said she didn't know, she didn't care, and why would it matter to me because I was going to end up just like him anyway. Thankfully I hardly ever drink."

The judge nodded, making that note. "We have a request for the originals of the forms you gave that reporter? And I do use that term loosely."

Xander smiled. "I told them they could have copies. The copies were in a bank deposit box that the lawyer had broken into." He handed over the forms from the bank. "That's what their investigators found about the break-in. It was handed over to the FBI. Also in there is the account of the hacking attempt at my accounts. Which seem to lead back to them because they asked for exactly, to the penny, forty percent of it."

The judge took those papers from the bailiff, grimacing as he looked them over. He looked at the other lawyer. "It does seem to lead back to your law firm, sir."

"I have no idea, sir. I did not order that."

An agent stood up. "We're taking him in for questioning after this hearing, Your Honor. We traced it to his assistant and secretary. We've traced the hacking to a Willow Rosenburg, who was Mr. Harris' former friend in high school and the one who told his parents where he was and how wealthy he was. We found her emails with a warrant." He handed that paperwork over. "Where might she be, Mr. Harris?"

"She violated her bail by taking Gunn's shelter hostage," Xander said dryly. "I had to demagic her again. You'd have to ask the LAPD where they have her."

"Thank you." He looked at the judge.

"This young woman took a shelter hostage?" the judge demanded.

"She's an addict, Your Honor," Xander said. "To her magic and the power it gives her. It makes her think she's the Goddess and she's wrong. She was telling Gunn, who runs a homeless shelter, that he shouldn't do that while he was tied in a chair with his helpers."

"Oh, I see. One of those." He handed the papers to the bailiff. "He can have those back and wait for this hearing." The agent nodded, settling into his seat again. "Mr. Harris, would you pay them something to go away?"

"Only if I could put a curse on it, Your Honor. I'm not supporting abusive drunks."

"It's said you do a few bad things yourself."

Xander shrugged. "Mostly I use those kits to handle problems, like making a problem that would counteract an apocalypse battle or start to weed out the weaker, lazy wannabe evil ones."

"You can?"

"They don't do their own research, Your Honor," Xander's senior lawyer said with a smile. "It has helped a lot of places. Young ones that would accidentally cause problems my client would have to fix can't because they're too arrogant to follow directions. Or they used the genie summoning kit for something useless that ended up taking them down. If you wish for a million dollars, the IRS shows up very often."

The judge burst out laughing. "I hadn't thought of that use."

Xander smiled and nodded. "The real power users, they do their own research. The same as I do for protections on hospitals and shelters. The young and wanting but not going to be more than an annoyance, they can try and a few have proven to themselves what they need to do. A few have used the genie kit to do better things and to better themselves with it. Some are smart enough to include that the IRS has already taken their cut. Some have given themselves greater power, which means they suddenly learned how to research. A few of them have become very talented and a great effecting force in the world."

"That's interesting." He made that note. "What if you pay them ten percent of what you earned before you were eighteen?"

"Why should I?" he asked. "They haven't earned it. I wasn't living at home when I made it."

"They have that contract."

"Which isn't his signature, Your Honor," his lead lawyer said. One of them handed over a file. "This is a sampling of Mr. Harris' handwriting through the last ten years. Including some things he forged for the school." The judge took it from the bailiff. "It's not his handwriting on that note and even then, he would've been sixteen. That means it's not a legal contract."

"It has a semi-legal status," the judge said. "Other parents have signed legal agreements with their children for things like paying rent."

"Yes but that wasn't for that and by the time that was supposedly signed Mr. Harris wasn't living at home most of the time. He'd show up one night a week to make sure everyone knew he was still there so no one got onto DHHR and he got punished for it."

"He lived where instead?"

"Different friends' couches," Xander said. "Some abandoned houses. Sunnydale's high death rate meant there were plenty open most of the time. My mail went to a PO Box outside of official things that had to be sent to the house. Not like the school cared if I forged signatures. They had met my parents in elementary school the one time they showed up and they tried to kill me for breaking up a fight and saving another kid. The principal was appalled at them for it. He turned them into CPS, which barely worked in Sunnydale, yet they showed up." He pointed at the file. "That's one of the first in there."

"Where are the originals?"

"In a magic proof safe. There's another six copies in there as well, some of the have official copies instead of just photocopies."

"So you have official copies of some things," he said. Xander nodded. "Why didn't you hand them to their lawyer?"

"I offered him copies. He tried to get smugly evil with me. Pity. There went all my patience and upped my amusement."

"You're amused by them?"

"I am. I'm not paying their lawyer and they signed a contract for soul pieces, Your Honor. I wouldn't have done it at sixteen. I wouldn't have done it at six. I wouldn't have done it for my drunk uncle either."

"Can you prove anything about their legal troubles? Their former town never reported those to the state."

"They'd have to answer for irregularities," the head lawyer said. He handed the bailiff the file he dug out of his briefcase. "On all three, your Honor. They got them mixed up a few times. Somehow they mixed up Mrs. Harris with one of the two males."

The judge shook his head as he read the files. He finally looked up. "The judges up there?"

"No clue," Xander quipped with a grin. "Or their dirty police department that was dirty to the former mayor. I'm just happy I don't usually have to deal with them. I know one had been upstate. He pulled me over for no reason on my way to Tahoe once. We had to remind him I was the other Harris and I didn't drink."

"Is he still an officer?"

"I saw an article stating he had been picked up in an underage prostitute sting. Apparently his hands were in the wrong teenage girl."

The judge nodded. "That's bad." He let the bailiff have the file. "Look them up." He went to his desk to do that. "There were a lot of drinking related charges. There was also the notice that Mr. Xander Harris had been arrested once."

Xander burst out laughing, shaking his head. "They thought my friend Jesse was me, Your Honor. He had shoplifted unsuccessfully at the comic book store. They tried to arrest him and his mother beat the officer in the head with something for daring to think her son was me. I pointed out I hadn't been there but she defended her son. The judge agreed Jesse wasn't me and according to the owner of the comic book store I hadn't been there. Sunnydale was a small town. He had seen me in there to drive a parent home."

"You were six."

"I know that." He shrugged. "The judge ordered me to learn how to drive when I was five. It was better than another DUI because he was really tired of seeing my family."

The judge stared at him. "Which judge?"

"Stephens."

The judge looked at his bailiff. "Committed suicide last year right before the judicial review panel got into him," the bailiff said. "Three others as well out of the seven total they had."

Xander shook his head. "It wasn't a suicide. One of the mayor's people was raising power and used them. The ME was one of his buddies and later got found out thanks to Angel's team."

The bailiff looked that up and showed the judge. "I see you're right. Who was Angel?"

"The head of the LA protection patrol until he died during the invasion."

"I see." He frowned and read over the results his bailiff found. "One's still working for the LA County Sheriff's department. Interesting." He put that aside. "We can talk to them later." He looked at the family. "I hate seeing things like this. Mr. Xander Harris." He looked up at him. "What are you going to do about this?"

"I'm going to sit back and watch them destroy themselves, Your Honor. If it was most others I'd help, but not them. Not with everything that's went on."

The judge nodded. "I can see that viewpoint. It's not very healthy."

"It's as healthy as I can get in my life."

"Point. Therapy?"

"Boyfriend."

"Fine." He looked at the others. "I find that contract may be valid and may not be valid but I find it unreasonable in this circumstance. I wouldn't pay them a red cent either. Mr. Xander Harris will pay them one hundred dollars each." Xander stared at him. "Without a curse on it. That way they cannot come back."

"That almost assures they'll come back," Xander's lawyer said. "They tried blackmail this time, Your Honor. Next time they'd probably try worse."

"They are not allowed to come back."

"People like them always come back, the same as they did this time," Xander said. "If I must I will but if I see them ever again I feel the need to assert my self defense in a fatal manner." He looked at them. They looked disgruntled. "Your choice of course." His mother stomped out. He stared at his father. "Well?"

"I'll get you, boy. You owe us for raising you."

"That's what parents are supposed to do and you failed at it," Xander said. His father yelled and tried to lunge at him but Xander let the chair catch him and then kicked him in the ass as he tripped over it. "I'm not going to spill your blood in this courtroom. I don't want that sort of karma on me. If you die, you die. You have fun with that." His father tried to stab him so he dodged it and broke his hand. "That was stupid." He tossed the knife in front of the judge's bench. Xander took out his wallet and tossed five twenties on his father then walked off. "Have a great life." His father screamed and tried to hurt him again. Xander looked at the bailiff as he held the man off. "Well?"

"If you assault him he can press charges," the judge said.

"I'm pressing charges against him for it." He slugged his father, knocking him out. "If I go to jail, I'll pay the fine."

The judge shuddered at the coldness. "Process the paperwork to arrest the father for multiple attempted assaults in my courtroom with weapons. He's not supposed to have one knife, much less two."

"Yes, Your Honor," the bailiff said, walking over to pick up the older Harris and cart him off with help from the other guards.

Xander nodded and left, going back to his house. Outside someone screamed and came at him with a knife. "Are you stupid?" he demanded. He ducked under the blow and came up to knee the guy in the gut then hit him down the stairs. "Thanks, I needed something stimulating today," he said sarcastically. "Anything else you want to try? And who sent you anyway? I know you're not a hunter in those dress clothes." He looked at the staring officers. "He's not a hunter."

"Are you demonic?" one demanded.

"No, I'm Harris. They hate me for protecting the hospitals and shelters."

"Oh, you're him. No, he's not a hunter in those dress shoes." He went to arrest the guy. "He's mumbling something about his boss is going to be mad."

"If I know who his boss is I can make sure of that," Xander said dryly. The agent dragging his parents' lawyer out paused to help the officer figure out who that was. "Any idea so I can go talk to them about their delusions?"

"He's got a security clearance," the agent said.

"Hm." Xander walked down there. "I'm dating a guy from DC who has political parents," he said quietly.

The agent nodded. "I've seen you two in the magazines, sir. I can look into that. Officer, help me get them back to the office please."

"Sure, Agent. I'll need a statement from you, sir."

"That's fine. It's not the first I've done." The officer grimaced but hauled off the groaning person. Another officer came over with his hand on his gun. "That officer wanted a statement about that idiot attacking me."

"Any idea why?"

"No." Xander shook his head. "It had nothing to do with the demon hunters network. The agent seemed to have an idea. All I know is I came out after having to fight off the greedy drunk parents and he screamed and tried to stab me." Xander checked his stomach and chest. "He cut my shirt. I need to get back to training." He looked at the officer, who was now giving him an odd look. "I'm Xander Harris, Officer."

"Oh, you're him."

"Yeah, I'm him. Which one did you hear about?" he asked with a slight grin. "The dragon and demons at LAX?" The guy nodded. "I'm glad the baby dragon got home and the peaceful demons were saved but I was in a foul, needing a nap mood that day. I was about to break out in evil. Thankfully the officers were okay, no matter what the other hunters wanted."

The officer shook his head. "You were here today for a hearing?" he asked, taking out his PDA device to take the statement.

"I have drunk parents who found out I have money. They tried to get some."

The officer nodded. "We see that a lot around here." He finished the statement, letting Xander read it over and sign it. "Thank you, sir, have a better afternoon."

"You too, Officer." He pointed with a cough. "That's probably a problem."

The officer looked back and sighed. "LAPD!"

Xander smiled and waved. "Demon hunters society member. Hi, why are you trying to hold a woman hostage?" The man fled. The officer ran after him. Xander left, going to see Gunn for a few minutes. The guys all glared at his jaguar until he got out. "I had to look nicer when I took the 'rents to court." He leaned on the hood. "Can you tell Gunn I need to be invited to sparring practice again, guys. I nearly got cut earlier by an idiot with a knife. He managed to get my shirt and I wasn't tired that time. I should be better." They nodded. "Thanks." He got back in and drove off.

Gunn's second-in-command looked at the other ones. "Hammond helped him pick them out." The others all nodded. TJ was all about the status things. So of course his boyfriend got a jaguar. Even a used one. "Usually Xander shows up in the navigator instead."

"I remember when we had Rosenburg," one complained. "Why is she out?"

"No clue."

"Think he knows?" another asked.

"No clue," he repeated but he sent that message to Gunn. Xander came back a few minutes later, handing over necklaces on a chain. "Thanks, man."

"Welcome. It's against more powerful magic. Just in case she loses her shit again. I've got one in there for Connor, Gunn, and Buffy too. If I'm short on you guys, because I only thought there were ten of you, let me know? I can make some more easily." They nodded.

"We'll need three or four more, plus maybe a few for girlfriends," one said. "I'm not sure what she'd do about that."

"She was dating a nice girl until she went to memory spells on her," Xander quipped.

"Yeah, please? Another seven or so?"

"I can do that in the next few days. I've got an extra one started." They nodded and put them on, heading off to do things and warn the others. "Thanks for the warning, guys." He headed to the bank to let them know. His account hadn't been breached again, that was nice of her. He went to the Community House. He walked in. "No one told me Rosenburg was out of jail."

The demon council stared at him. "What?" one demanded.

"One of Gunn's people told me Rosenburg's out. I've been making a lot of protection necklaces against her going full blown pissy mood again and handed them over."

"How did she get out?" one of them demanded. Xander shrugged. "When did you hear?"

"Forty minutes ago. I stopped in to have Gunn invite me to sparring lessons. Someone nearly managed to stab me earlier at the courthouse. I need more training and gym time. One of them texted me on the way out toward my house."

"I'll find out why she was released," one said, getting up to go to her office to call someone in the PD. She came back a few minutes later. "Someone intervened to get her out." She looked at Xander.

"Not me! I want her to get help, not get out of help."

"It came from DC."

"I'll call TJ but he wouldn't have either."

"It came from his father.

Xander called him, putting him on speaker.

"Speak to me, I'm bored," TJ quipped, sounding happy.

"My parents won a total of a hundred bucks each and my mother stomped off before receiving it. Someone with a security clearance out of DC tried to stab me at the courthouse, and your dad's people got Willow released. I was having a happier day earlier, and could use a cuddle now."

TJ groaned. "Seriously?"

"Yup. Are you nearby for a cuddle?"

"Not for another six days, Xander. I'll talk to him. Are you okay otherwise? Has she tried to kill you again?"

"Not yet. I gave over some protection necklaces I made. Yours is in the mail."

"I'll be watching for it in a few days. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm tired. I need to do more training. The guy managed to cut my shirt earlier." He looked at it then at his phone. "Want me to come to DC?"

"No, I'll see you in six days. When I get in I'll cuddle. Otherwise you have to put up with my grandmother."

"Eeeeh," he said then sighed. "It's almost worth it."

TJ laughed, a happy sound. "Thank you, that was a great compliment. I'll talk to someone about two of those. Your parents?"

"Their lawyer got arrested for hacking the bank and hiring someone to kill the records I had in the safety deposit box."

"Great! So you had an okay morning and then you went to deal with stress, and now you're cuddly?"

"I am, yeah."

"Am I on speaker phone?"

"Yup. I'm at the council's meeting room about Rosenburg."

TJ snorted, but he still sounded pleased. "Go get a really good, fatty dinner and I'll call you later. Let you read me a bedtime story?"

"I can do that. You be safe in case there's more of them?"

"Of course I am. Mom's a bit pissed off about some things and it's not even my fault. This'll just please her to no end. Be safe, Xander."

"You too, TJ." He hung up and put his phone back, smirking at the looks he got. "We're cute together."

"You are," the head of the council agreed. "Very cute together. Go get dinner and then workout in your home gym. She can't get in there."

"I hope. Depends on what she sucked on to get power this time. If she got one of D'Hoffryn's or their level of demon to suck off of, there's no telling where she can go."

"Why have that thought?" one of the councilors asked.

"No idea," Xander admitted. "I had the same sort of idea to put the protection necklaces into the car too."

They all nodded. "We can check," they decided, all nodding. "Go home, be safe." Xander nodded, going home to be safe. The council looked at each other.

"He has visions," one said quietly. "We've known that for years." They all nodded. "It's possible it was that."

"Or that someone's not allowed to personally grant a wish but it's acting anyway," another agreed. They all sighed and went to figure things out. One summoned the slayers in to make sure they were still all right. Faith was upstate handling a problem with a few of the good hunters. Buffy walked in pouting. "Are you all right?" that councilor asked.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Willow's out," one said. "We do not want her in this community, still."

Buffy grimaced. "She said she's going to rehab and therapy. She's trying, guys."

"Our patience," the head of the council said gently. "Because we do not believe she is willing to do what she must do to heal. It is a hard thing and she would have to nearly give up magic completely until she healed the damage the black magic did. That could take years, Slayer."

Buffy grimaced. "She said she didn't have to. Giles won't talk about it."

They shook their heads and one of the magic using ones came to talk to her about that, and about that incidental thought that Xander had. They couldn't get one of D'Hoffryn's people to check.

***

TJ walked up to his father and his father's present girlfriend in the restaurant they were having a date night in, smiling at her then looking at his father. "You got a major menace out of jail. She's nearly been an apocalypse battle on her own, yet you got her out of jail. She had violated her bail by holding a homeless shelter hostage and you got her out of jail," he finished quietly. "The whole of LA would like you to go back in time and fix that before the whole city dies thanks to her. Also, your former helper sent someone to kill my boyfriend and I'm going to do it to you instead." He walked off, going to find the guard outside, who had guarded him once. "Did you guys get Douglas for sending the assassin at my boyfriend?" he demanded.

The Secret Service guard blinked but called that in, nodding. "Yes, we have, Mr. Hammond. Why else did you show up today?"

"Somehow Dad got Rosenburg out of jail. The whole community, normal, hunter, and demon, are all worried about what she'll be doing next."

"Shit," he said, calling that in. "The office out there is said to be aware, they have moved your boyfriend out of the area, with his vault. We were horrified by his weapons storage area as well."

"I only saw the outside of it."

"Not that one. He had a larger one, Mr. Hammond. We're going to talk to him to see why."

"Did you see the invasion?"

"Yes."

"Xander wanted really hard to have been able to use artillery then."

"Us too. I hope he never has to use it."

"Me too. Is he okay?"

"Yes. He's out of the area and in Las Vegas at the moment. His vault was put into a sub realm somehow." TJ nodded. "Can she destroy LA?"

"Yeah, she can. Xander said it depends on what she pulls on. She's the one that closed the hellmouth each time it acted up. He also thinks she might be able to pull from the Devon Coven without their permission or acceptance. We had a talk about her one night after she went back to jail. Kind of out of the blue."

"Sir, your boyfriend is known to have visions," he said quietly. "Did he have one?"

"No. I've seen those. Is there one that comes up as random thoughts? I have no idea. If so, he might have that kind too."

"Great. We'll alert the office out there."

"Xander was working on protection charms against her but it was going to Gunn's crew because they'd be hit first."

"Wonderful. We could all use those." TJ nodded. "I'll let you know if we find out more, sir, and if we have to move your boyfriend out here. If you hear something please let me know."

"I can do that. Thank you. Have fun with that problem."

"I hope it's an easy one." He watched TJ walk off and get into his car to drive off. He called that in and Xander admitted he didn't know if there was a sort of vision that way or if the thoughts might be prompted. The various agents on duty all got called into a conference call with the LA office. This might be bad. Especially with his last bout of random thoughts that worried him.

***

Dawn woke up with a gasp, looking around. She called her sister. "Get out of LA!" she shouted. "Now! Right now, she's going to explode at being thought of as unable to control herself. She's going to set off something huge. We're going to be lucky if she can put back the city. Get yourself and Gunn's people moving, now, Buffy. I just had a vision! Now!" She listened. "No, it was daytime. Just...go. Thanks." She hung up and called Xander. "I hate visions. How do you cure this headache? She's going to get huffy about being thought of as unable to control herself." She relaxed. "I can do that. Thanks, Xander. Where are you? I didn't see you. Oh, Vegas. That's cool. Call the hunters?" She yawned. "Yeah, I'm going to crash. Good luck." She went back to sleep, dropping the phone.

Halfrek appeared, hanging up the phone for her. "I'm sorry I had to prompt that vision, child, but it was necessary. Someone had to have it and he's too guarded." She tucked Dawn back in then went to stare at Xander from the outer room area.

Xander spotted her and came out. "Halfrek, another one that needs a protection?"

"All of LA. The vision was prompted."

"Is my random thought problem one?"

"No, it's your subconscious pointing out ideas. It knew she'd be one. This time it's a bit self fulfilling. Call the hunters. They won't listen to us."

"I've already started to call them. Can you talk to Gunn?"

"I can. Connor is still one of mine."

"Have them get to the council and have the council start the protections we put up during the last wildfire. That should help protect a lot of the city, including downtown."

She lit up and hugged him. "Thank you, Xander." She went to tell them that herself. "People." The whole council looked at her. "A vision was prompted to Slayer Summers' sister. Rosenburg is going to lose it. Harris suggested the protections you put up during the last wildfire."

"That will be a lot of problems holding it for over a day," one of them said. "Do we know when?"

"It was seen during daylight. We're not sure."

They nodded. "We can handle that and go on a sudden outing as a community tomorrow. Thank you, Halfrek."

"Welcome. Protect the hatcheries." She went to check on Connor. "We saw it during a daytime."

"So we have hours at least, if not days," Gunn said. She nodded. "Could it not be a true one? Dawn hasn't had one."

"D'Hoffryn had someone prompt it, Gunn." He slumped but nodded. "You need it to start today."

He nodded. "We can work on that. Is it tomorrow?"

"No idea." She looked up. "Two days." Gunn nodded. "Tell the community." He called that in. She went to tell Xander so he could tell the hunters. They'd never listen to a demon, even her kind. If someone changed it to discredit them, then they'd handle it.

If they moved it up, the vision would hold true.

***

TJ was out in LA, thanks to the Secret Service sending him to handle things. They wouldn't let Xander get close to her to handle her, just in case it got emotional or something, or so they said. They said he could handle it so he was. He was taken to where Willow was being held. He stared at her. "Willow." She glared at him. "Everyone's been having visions."

"I'm not bad!" she shouted. "I'm not out of control."

"And yet you're acting like a toddler," he said bluntly, staring at her until she looked away. "Everyone with visions, from Dawn on down, has seen you destroying most of this city. They saw you doing it today."

She shook her head. "I'm not. I have more control than that. I know I do."

"Which is important for any addict," he agreed, moving closer. "But you're glowing."

She looked at herself then frowned. "No I'm not." He pulled her closer to where he was, which was a darker part of the room. "Oh, I am."

"You are." He stared at her. "Addicts have to learn to handle the urges. In your case, you need to let it all go for a bit. Before you destroy the city and maybe parts of the state. Remember, most of the country eats off of this state's output."

She swallowed, shaking her head. "I don't have any extra power. My shields aren't down."

"How do you know?" he asked patiently. "Xander said there's ways to check yourself."

"I knew you're Xander's boyfriend."

"Yup and I got sent because I know addiction." She glared. "I've had some problems myself and so do some of my family. Xander actually saved my ass one night when I got given demon drug laced cocaine. I was really lucky Lorne sent him to hit on me."

She blinked a few times. "Lorne, that Host guy, set you two up?" He smirked and nodded. "Huh. I thought he picked you up in a sleazy club."

"No, we just go to those to have fun. Can you check yourself?"

"I...."

"Let me guess, that's a beginning lesson you skipped?" he asked dryly. He sent Xander a text message, getting one back almost immediately. "Scan yourself like you're sick, Rosenburg. That's what he said."

She closed her eyes and did that, wincing at the things she saw. "I'm holding the hellmouth." She concentrated. "I can't let it go. It won't let me."

"Is that what's giving you that glow that's getting darker?" he asked dryly.

She looked at herself then sighed and tried again. "I..."

"Let's get you up there. If you destroy the town more, no one's going to mind and it won't turn LA into an island." He waved at the guards. "We need to get her to Sunnydale so if she does vent it won't hurt anything."

"We hadn't thought about that." They walked her out with TJ following. "Sir?"

"They won't let Xander come handle it. They think the former friendship will cause problems and they don't want to see the people that help guard the city depressed. So they sent me and then told Xander. He threw an awesome fit I'm told."

"Probably. Young guys are often emotional," one of the guards said.

***

Xander leaned his head against the wall then looked at the guards. "She's going to need help dumping that."

"Sir," one of the guards said. "You have to stay here."

"If she hurts TJ I'm going to destroy her and whatever she's standing on," Xander vowed. "I protect people, especially my boyfriend." They nodded they understood that. Xander looked at his phone then called in one contact. "It's Xander Harris and it's a bigger emergency," he said in greeting. "No, Rosenburg's been sucking up black magic and can't figure out how to dump her link to the hellmouth in Sunnydale. TJ said they're taking her home so she can't destroy most of the state." He listened.

"Yeah, that's her. Actually, Sunnydale's a ruin now; it can't hurt it much more. His idea. No, he doesn't deal with that stuff. Magic kind of freaks him out." He listened. "TJ's message said she didn't realize she was glowing in the dark or how to feel her own magic to find the problems." He listened. "Please. Before I have to get there and stop her somehow. Thank you. No, we've evacuated half the city with the visions that came about her.

"The urge to panic about her is still around too. No, I let her be arrested the last time, she had people hostage to nag them for doing the right thing. No, Gunn about the shelter his people run. Exactly!" He sighed. "Yeah, I used that potion on her and it should still be in effect. Would that matter? No, she's never had control. She went from floating pencils to closing the hellmouth to resticking Angel's soul curse within six months. Then I left shortly afterwards.

"She just picked up books and stole them from Giles from what I heard. I walked because I became an unwanted being. Buffy actually joked with a few vampires she wanted me eaten instead of having me help her on patrol. Willow grew during it though she's always had problems with seeing ways other than what she wants. No one ever told her 'you can't do that' because her parents weren't ever there. Yeah, that's her parents," he said with a grim smirk at the wall. "Exactly, and now she's going to explode. We're hoping it doesn't make LA county its own island."

He nodded, making notes on a piece of paper. "I can tell TJ that. No, the Secret Service sent him instead of me because they didn't want one of the protectors that injured or depressed according to them but if she hurts TJ I'll call in that owed favor with D'Hoffryn." He smiled. "Yup. He does. Two actually since I saved one of his people from a slave auction the other week. Oh, yeah, that was me too. TJ was back in DC, I was bored. It's the right thing to do. Beyond that, how do I tell him to help her or can you send someone to help her without smiting her? Because I'm pretty sure that'll mean that hellmouth explodes in an uncloseable way. That was my vision last night." He nodded. "Thank you. Let me know if I can help you with a problem. Please. Thanks." He hung up and sighed. "He'll go help her." He sent a message to TJ.

The guard looked at him. "What could that D'Hoffryn do?" he asked casually.

Xander smirked evilly. "He's the demon lord over the vengeance demons." The agent shuddered. "Yeah. And he owes me twice now." He went to stare outside toward Sunnydale. This was bad. Gunn's people were up the hotel from them so maybe it'd be safe later on.

***

TJ looked over as someone stomped up to them. "You must be the guy that Xander said was coming."

The man nodded. "He did," he said in a slight British accent. "You step back before Xander vows to avenge you by destroying people."

TJ rolled his eyes. "We're not that together yet."

The mage looked at him. "Harris gets deeply affected by some people. That's why he helps some of Gunn's people more than most think. A few of the kids they protected were just like him only now they got saved." TJ blinked a few times. "He's a good boy. Go sit down before he has to mourn."

"I think I'm the voice of addictions to help her get right."

"You could be. That's a good reason to send you, that and you wear protections against her." Willow was staring at him. "He could have sent someone else," he said dryly. "Like Ethan. The dear chap is foaming and locked up right now so he can't come smite you for Janus' pleasure." He moved closer. "I'm Mage Archibald Maypers, Miss Rosenburg."

"I worked with the Devon coven," she said.

"They're weak and clearly messed you up more." He took her hand. "How did you link to that sacred temple?"

"Um, it's by the coven? They sent me there to meditate once."

"They clearly thought you had more training than you do. Let's start back at the beginning so we can free you before you do as the visions state and send this state into the ocean."

"Might cure some of the drought but not a great idea," she muttered, looking at the hole. Then at him. "How do I let that go?"

"We'll start with freeing you from all of those." He walked her to some rubble to sit with her and teach her how to touch her magic and let it go.

TJ started to scratch. "Something's growing. I'm feeling this urge to run."

The mage considered it then nodded. "That's a really large demon showing up."

"I can fight that," Willow said. "I helped Buffy for years."

The mage looked at her. "Which will create a wave of magic that will send this state into the ocean," he told her. "We will handle it with you however." She nodded. "TJ, go ahead and go. You can talk to her tomorrow about the true path to getting clean. Boys, take him before something dangerous happens." They nodded, walking TJ off. He looked at her.

"He's not like us. He's like Xander, normal."

He snorted. "Xander Harris not normal, Miss Rosenburg. He never has been. He soaked up an amazing amount of this hellmouth's energy before he walked away from you and afterward he turned his unique skills into a method of problem correction that most don't even realize." She grimaced. "It works, trust me." She nodded. They went back to her dumping the power. When the demon appeared, she let it go on him instead while the mage channeled it. The demon died and they finished it off by sunup. She was free of the hellmouth and all the other links but she was still full of magic. "Now to teach you to dump it before you become sacrificed."

"Was Xander?"

"He saved himself and destroyed them," he said bluntly, staring at her. "You cannot fight that same way. He learned before he left. You learned to float stakes. That's not exactly a helpful skill in the real world." She huffed but he taught her how to dump the excess magic.

"Can I channel it into rain?"

"Only if you wish to flood these remains and not the areas that truly need it."

"Can we go there?"

"No."

"Fine."

"The protections that hold the radiation in are holding your powers in, Miss Rosenburg."

"Can't you call me Willow? I hate being their kid."

"Your parents are a trauma you will have to deal with but I can do so. Now, let's get back to dumping it, Willow."

"Yes, sir."

***

An agent walked up to where the hunters were gathering. "How do we fight the giant worm? One came up when her doing whatever created an eclipse."

"Is it over fifty feet long?" Xander asked. Everyone was staring at him. The agent nodded, showing him the picture. "That's what Mayor Wilkins turned into. You have to remove the head. Buffy was going to blow up the school with him in it to do that. Vesuvius did the other known one. He must've taken advantage of the sudden eclipse because the last step can only happen during that."

"That's an ascension?" one of the hunters asked, looking at the pictures. "Huh. That's gross."

"Yeah, it is. Wilkins was about ninety feet. He chose to become the biggest version," Xander said. Buffy stomped over. "Someone doing an ascension took advantage of it."

"Great." She looked then at the agent. "Have fun with the artillery."

"I'd suggest something like the tank you guys stored in LA for the next invasion," Xander said. "Blow below that dent. Or just pulp the head."

The agent nodded, calling that in. He got live feed from it. The hunters watched, even the few stupid ones that hated Xander and Buffy. "Jesus," one said, backing away a few steps.

"Yup, that happened at my high school graduation," Buffy complained. "Then Xander's plan came in to fight him so we didn't have to use the senior class." Xander smirked at her. "Did you ever graduate?"

"Yeah, I did correspondence classes and graduated a year late thanks to Sunnydale being so far behind."

"Oh. That's good. Mom would've been proud," she said quietly. "Have you seen Dawn?"

"She's up the road at her apartment," Xander said with a point. "She just started at UNLV and they're here."

"Cool. Maybe I'll stop in to nag her about boys and stuff. Mom would've."

"Your mom didn't nag that much," Xander said, looking at her.

"To you. We got it a lot. It's how she proved she loved us."

He patted her on the arm. "Talk to her about boys instead."

"I can do that. I hope she finds one since I can't." They watched the tanks fire on the demon worm. One hit a building when the demon worm moved. The other one pulped the demon's head and they took artillery to make sure it was off. "At least he couldn't eat anyone," Buffy said. "Ours ate the principal and we all cheered because the guy was a troll."

Xander nodded. "Yes he was. I sent him a 'congratulate me for making my first million' card to annoy him." He grinned at her. She hit him on the arm. They all looked toward LA when a rumbling started. "Earthquake?" he asked quietly.

"Please let it be natural," Buffy begged.

"Release of magic," one of the hunters said, looking at his protection necklace Xander had made him.

Xander looked and nodded. "Not chaos magic though." Buffy relaxed. "I wonder what they breached."

"Maybe the rest of Wolfram and Hart's sacrifices," Buffy said. "Gunn had to save some of them." The agents all stared at her. "What?"

"We never heard a thing about that."

"You're agents. Of course not. That would've been LAPD's job and they walked off shuddering."

"If they're kidnaped its ours," one of the agents told her.

"Oh. Well, ask Gunn. He'd know." They went to find him to ask him about that.

"They breached a temple to a goddess," one of the agents said, holding his earpiece.

"There's a few in Sunnydale," Xander said. "One to Proprexia or something like that. One to an ancient demon queen who was over nurseries. That's under the former elementary school. It's what kept Wilkins from eating out of it. The other's under the bandstand in the park and it's to a party god of some kind."

"It's in LA," the agent said.

"Oh, then you've got seven," Xander quipped. "Four temples to various Gods and Goddesses. One to an off-world deity that the portal making ones go to and where they put their immigration portals. One to Discord in Hollywood to try to channel it. There's one to Aphrodite too but I'm not sure where. It was created by some B-level actresses back in the thirties."

"Wow," Buffy said. "Could you always do that?"

He looked at her. "I did the spell to read the languages Giles had books in. The same as he did on Willow."

"You did it on yourself?" she asked.

He smiled and nodded. "Yup. Not that hard. Potion based and he didn't use that part so hers faded as she learned it."

"Huh. Can you learn it without that?"

"I can read nine languages without it, Buffy. I could read four when I left Sunnydale." She slumped, staring at him. He grinned. "Yeah, me." He looked at the hunters. "I know a lot of you know Latin."

"You bet," one agreed. "That spell?"

"Not that hard. I can find you a copy."

"Thanks," another said. "How many languages are there?"

"Ninety that you see examples of from demon societies," Xander said. "Plus all the human ones."

"Ninety?" Buffy asked. "Giles said thirty."

"I have examples of seventy-four in the vault," Xander said. He smirked at her. "All really cheap but useful."

"Huh. Can Giles look at those?"

"He never asked."

"I'll let him know." She walked off calling him. "It's me, we're okay. Xander called someone to help Willow besides his boyfriend." She looked at Xander. "Who did you ask?"

"Archibald Maypers."

"Some guy named Archibald Maypers." She blinked. "He's choking."

"That's because he's the guy above Ethan," Xander quipped. "And he's a mage."

"Oh. Okay." She waited until Giles quit coughing. "Are you okay?" She nodded. "As long as he helps her, Giles. Xander said he has examples of seventy-four demon languages in his vault. He said you never asked. When can you get the vault back up?"

"As soon as I get home and if the subrealm is slightly broken by all that I'll have to make a deal with the demonic mafia to get it all back but they don't want it. It'd make them work harder." The hunters were staring at him. "A lot of portals are tuned to go there if they break as a safety measure. Otherwise it's lost into the void. And if it's lost, we've got bigger problems than that demon worm."

"What did you have in there?" one of the hunters demanded.

"I have seventy parts of various demons that can't be destroyed but they're needed to call back fifty-two demons." They blinked. "Including a few goddess level ones. Like Chiana." One of the hunters stared, shoulders slumping. He grinned. "I've got sixteen stuffed artifacts with everything from a few imps to genies to two possessing style demons."

"Like Moloch?" Buffy asked. "The one we put on the internet by accident?"

"Yup, and he's now on Match.com." He grinned at her. "Spotted him one day. He asked me if Willow was still around. He misses her." She groaned. Xander looked at the hunters. "I've got all my research materials in the outer levels. In the very inner area I've got three I summoned and trapped because I stopped the idiot doing it," he said with a pointed look at one guy. "So he couldn't call them up instead."

"I beat my son for that until he ran away to be a priest," he admitted. "And my daughter got some too even though she didn't help. Three?"

"Yeah. He wasn't the only one. One of my former coworkers before I made decent money was doing one at work. I hated that hotel's manager a lot but not enough to let it take all the guests hostage. The other one I found out Wolfram and Hart were summoning and summoned it first. He thanked me and agreed to stay down there because his wife was trapped in a vase near where he was. I moved her closer so they could chat."

Buffy looked at her phone then hung it up. "He went back into filthy, Ripper language. I don't need to know how guys his age used to swear." She walked off. "I'm going to visit my sister."

"I can drive you," one of the younger hunters said, following her. "Before my mind rots."

Xander grinned and waved at their backs. "Don't worry, I told the succuba following you that you weren't interested."

"Thanks, Harris."

Xander looked at the others and shrugged. "She tried to entice TJ too. Pity but I gave her to someone else who wanted a playmate then let the LAPD watch what the serial killer wanted her for."

"No wonder you don't let people into your vault," one agent said.

Xander smirked at him. "Those are the nicer things in there. Of course I wouldn't." The hunters all groaned. "I'm keeping them out of harm's way. Because if I have them no one can use them."

"Can we make sure that demonic mafia group can't use them?" one of the older hunters sighed.

Xander called them. "It's Harris. I'm checking to make sure I don't need to make a deal to get my vault back."

The demon snorted. "We made sure it would not rip or banish things to our realms, Harris. We like you keeping it all out of harm's way, including our higher up that is an annoyance who wanted to do drugs. Your house is all safe. So are the refuges and the nurseries."

"They didn't move them?" Xander demanded.

"They did, but the protections held. Gunn needs to do some cleaning up. The protections held but the attempted ascending one hit the shelter with his tail. Plus the wave of magic from the exposure of those temples."

"The ones in Sunnydale or the ones in LA?" Xander asked.

"Ours. They're not pleased. It woke up one. Are you local?"

"Las Vegas. The agents insisted. Can it be diplomatically solved?"

"It can, but we do not excel in that and all the council is gone."

"TJ's local somewhere. Agents had him to talk to Willow about addiction things."

"I will have him found. Thank you, that may save us all." He hung up calling out to find TJ Hammond. He could talk to the Goddess about going back to sleep.

Xander put his phone up. "They're actually really nice guys, just really tough and a warrior culture. They're only mafia related by structure. It made sense to them."

The hunters all nodded, giving him looks like he was crazy. But he was used to it from them.

***

TJ made it back to DC the next day, after another talk with Willow about how to handle getting clean. He walked up to his mother and hugged her briefly. "Thank you for teaching me what diplomacy means. I needed it."

"For that witch?"

"For the goddess that witch accidentally woke up," he said. "Xander suggested me to talk to her since no one in the community could from where they were hiding from that witch. Apparently no one else in LA has tact." He walked off. "I'm going to nap then talk to my boyfriend about threatening people if I got hurt."

"Boyfriends do that, darling." She smiled at his back. He just waved a hand. She went to giggle in her office while getting reports. The Secret Service was most complimentary about her boy. Her older son was amazed and pissed but oh well. It had been a good job.

***

Agent Toliver showed up after Xander had the vault checked over, staring at him. "Let me in please, Mr. Harris."

"You know the system won't let me do that and me bringing it down to include you as I rebuild it means it'll be vulnerable for a day and a half."

"Just inside please." Xander put the cuff on his arm and he walked in. "You're keeping three demons summoned?"

A demon leaned out of a side room, staring at him. "It means others cannot summon us to do icky things they want us do. They didn't even offer me willing sacrifices, as I desire. I didn't want their cast-off slaves." He pulled back, cuddling his wife's vase.

Xander looked at the agent, shrugging. "He's right."

"That's dangerous."

"Only if they find someone to break the protections. Which means it'll go back to that sub-realm or possibly the demonic mafia's realm if it totally breaks things."

"Can we prevent it from going there?"

"Yeah but that means it's totally gone into the void and that means those parts I'm keeping people from getting to can be gotten to and all my research stuff is gone."

"Okay, that's probably bad."

"Considering what can be put back together and come down to enact their revenge? Yes, it is," the demon said. "At which point in time my wife and I will gladly fade away so we don't have to see what they do to the humans."

Xander pointed with a grin. "He's very wise too. Philosophers used to sacrifice themselves to him."

Agent Toliver stared at him. "Really?" Xander walked off and came back with a book to show him. "Oh, they did." The demon laughed. "Fine." He handed the book back. "How do we stop that from happening again?"

"Most of the community has differing protections and they're getting together about those things. The regular humans? I'd suggest they maybe talk to someone like the community's protection specialists about how to protect important buildings. The ones I did in the hospitals would've held against most of it but nothing can fully protect against a wave of magic. It'd be like protecting against a water wave."

"Can we end whatever she was pulling on?"

"Sure, if you can heal the structure of this realm so there's no more rip. Which ...maybe some day some physicist will figure that out and work with a mage to do it. I can't. None of the mages I know can. We're not advanced enough to do that yet and the few demon realms that might've been have been decimated by wars over the knowledge and how to use it."

The demon leaned out. "There's one that may be able to help but they consider humans to be fun toys and snacks so they wouldn't." He sat back up again. "Xander, we're bored."

"I got you guys new coloring books." He went to find that box, carrying it in there. They smiled and patted him then picked out the ones they wanted. "I noticed you guys pirated the cable too. Just borrow the tv from the research area if you need to. Reconnect it when you're done."

"We can clone it," the other two said. They got together to do that and suddenly their confined area was bigger, had a great entertainment system, and a sound system. Each of the demons had comfortable lounging areas with pull over desks to help them color on. Xander got a splitter for the cable line so they could run it in there. That helped and made them happier higher beings.

Agent Toliver stared at Xander. "That's weird."

"They're helpful and out of harm's way. Plus they can't be used this way."

"I understand why. It's still weird to normal people."

"Only Buffy and Willow think I'm normal, Agent Toliver. So thank you." He smiled.

The agent nodded, taking off the bracelet as he walked off. "Mr. Hammond."

"Is my boyfriend hiding in there?"

"Helping the three beings settle in better. I think he has to put the bracelet on you himself." He went back to report to his boss. This time the body camera had caught a few images, though most of them had the overlay of a smirking demonic face over it like a trademark symbol.

"Xander?" TJ called.

Xander came out to pounce him to hug. "You came back."

TJ looked at him. "You can't threaten people who might hurt me."

"Bullshit."

"You can't because I'm not owned."

"Point."

"Thank you. Now, let me in there?" Xander put the bracelet on him and led him inside. TJ looked up and around. "I've seen smaller libraries in colleges." The three demons laughed so he looked. "Hi, guys."

"I'm protecting them by keeping them in there," Xander said.

"I get that." He looked around then at his mate. "Wow. No wonder you can hide in here. If you had a kitchen you could live in here."

"I have a mini fridge and microwave," Xander said with a point.

"I stand corrected." He pulled Xander closer. "I'm a boyfriend, not a pet."

"You're only a pet if he puts a collar and leash on you," one of the demons giggled.

TJ looked in there. "Sometimes humans like to play like that but they're not really pets." He looked at Xander again, who was trying not to laugh. "I can protect myself."

"Of course you can. You were just doing things I should've been doing. It could've gotten you dead. Willow nearly killed me once."

"Probably twice," he said. "That's why the healer made you rest." Xander winced. He pulled Xander closer by his belt loops. "Tone down the overprotective parts," he said quietly. "I can fight for myself."

"Yes, TJ."

"You can even teach me more about how to make sure succuba leave me alone. I might like that." The demons giggled. TJ stared at him.

"It really does keep them safe and us safe from them being used to do bad things. They're all really smart and we're like a soap opera to them. They like to scry Gunn's gang to watch them."

TJ smiled. "I'm not a soap opera kind of guy. Never had amnesia or had a baby that showed up suddenly after I left it somewhere." Xander burst out laughing. "Are you going to help Gunn's crew repair the building?"

"I hired the crew to repair the building. I barely know how to build things after a few weeks at a construction crew. I liked the work but I threw my back so badly I couldn't walk for a month."

"Good to know." He pulled him closer again. "Let me take some of my own fights. It makes me look weaker if I don't."

"I can do that."

"Thank you. You owe me dinner and a night of being spoiled rotten." Xander grinned. "Including a backrub please. The plane's seats were miserable this time. No first class." Xander cuddled him. "How far does this let me in?"

"To here."

"Is there other weird stuff I don't know about?"

"Yeah. A lot. But if I told you it'd put you in danger." He took another kiss. "Where do you want dinner?"

"Out."

"I can do that." He walked him out, taking the bracelet from him. "It has to stay in there."

"I guess that makes sense," he said dryly. He and Xander went into the house, where he got properly pounced. "Still pissed off that you were acting more like an owner than a boyfriend."

Xander kissed him then rested his chin on TJ's chest since he had nicely pounced him onto the master bed. "I know I don't own you. You'd hate to wear a pretty leash, TJ." TJ scowled. He grinned. "I know a few people who like that sort of thing."

"Uh-huh." He shook his head. "I'm not one."

"I know. Neither am I. I just went protective because I know how fragile life is. I've lost a lot of the important people and I'm not ready to lose you yet."

TJ stared at him. "That's really mushy and a lot more commitment-like than I'm really ready for."

"I do for friends too, TJ," he said dryly. "I did for Cordelia."

"I get that," he said, nodding slightly. "I can accept that level of relationship." Xander smirked at him. "With benefits of course."

"Of course because you're spectacular at it," Xander agreed. He kissed the nipple next to his head and got back to his good pounce. Then they could have dinner. Xander's stomach decided to speak up to reprioritize itself but Xander just shook his head. "Sometimes the inanimate is perverse and noisy."

TJ laughed. "Yeah, stomachs can be that way. Mine's about to answer it."

"I can order takeout."

"Take me out, Xander, not order."

"Okay." He took a kiss as he got up, going to clean off in the bathroom. "Pick somewhere nice but not too high class."

TJ watched him go. "I like some of the higher class places."

Xander leaned out, staring at his boyfriend. "Do you really want to tutor me in the manners I never learned tonight?"

"No." Xander grinned and got back to his quick cleaning up. TJ looked up mid-range restaurants near them. For some reason a burger place made that list. That was weird and he didn't want to stoop to common food. "How do you feel about Korean?"

"A lot of belching," Xander called back, and you could hear his razor in the background. "Ow! Damn it!"

"How did you cut yourself with an electric razor?" TJ called patiently. Something got thrown out of the bathroom so he stared at the little thing. "Is that a lizard?"

"Apparently it thought it lived in our shower."

TJ shook his head, getting up to release the lizard back outside before it bit someone again. He didn't want to spend tonight in the emergency room. He went to check the bite, just in case. Xander was horrible about those sort of things. He'd never let him know because it would interrupt the night's plans.

***

TJ looked at Xander as they came back that night. "Mom pointed out that we've been ...together for eight months now."

"Really?" He considered it. "I guess we have. Do you have any idea what you want to do for our anniversary of whatever you decide we're doing together?"

TJ swatted him on the arm. "We can be dating." Xander smiled at him. It was a goofy kid grin that made TJ's insides ache. "Quit that." Xander took a kiss and parked the car, getting out to make sure the garage doors were locked so they could go inside. "Do you want to do anything specific?"

"I'd like to go to an amusement park," he said. He stared at his boyfriend, locking the doors behind them.

"We have security systems," TJ said.

"That doesn't mean someone can't get in, or another lizard. The next one might nibble on you."

"Point." He took a kiss. "Like Disney?"

"Or Paramount's."

TJ considered that. "That's kind of kiddy."

"I wouldn't know. I never went." He walked off to check the other exterior doors. He ran into a problem with one of them, staring at the hunter out there being petted by the tentacles. "Did you try to break into my work area?" he called.

"Turn them the hell off, Harris!" he shouted. "Before I kill your dumb ass!"

Xander stared at him. "You trespassed, dude. Feel lucky it's only petting you. It does feel intent." The hunter shuddered, trying to get away. "You could've just sent a message. I had my phone with me."

"Get them off me!"

Xander came out to pet one of the tentacles. "Let him go for a few minutes please, dear." It let the hunter go. Xander stared at him. "You didn't call. I would've answered."

The hunter glared. "You have a demon held in thrall?" he demanded with a point at the tentacles.

"No, I have a kraken nicely stashed in a security portal." He smiled. "They really like to pet people since they don't eat them." The hunter glared. Xander stared back. "It's very handy as a security system."

"Whatever! We did try to call." Xander looked at his phone, showing the last calls and messages, nothing. "We used the number Gunn has."

Xander called Gunn. "For some reason I never got anything from you guys. Are they tapping your phone or mine?"

"Mine," Gunn complained. "We handled it. Is Hunter Bob up there?"

"Yeah, he was being petted by the security kraken."

Gunn shuddered. "That's so mean, Xander. We had a huge infestation and nest situation earlier."

"Do you still need me? TJ's here but I can show up. He'll only get mad at me."

"We used your spare holy water grenades," Gunn said dryly. "It's handled. Connor wanted you to make him more."

"I can do that tomorrow. I've only got one rune to work up for someone tomorrow so I can do it after that. How many does he need?"

"Probably a few. Bob, sorry. I didn't realize that the kraken would pet you."

"That thing's disgusting."

Xander grinned. "It sure keeps people from the less lethal protections."

"Still gross, boy."

Xander nodded. "Yeah but if people who break in to burn things keep going on, I'm going to think about running for political office." Bob backed off shaking his head, hands up. Xander grinned. "The kraken's only the second step of the security system. The next one would've slowly killed you. Want the antidote? Gunn has a lot of it."

"I'll get with him," he said, hurrying off.

Xander grinned at the phone. "Let me go back to being TJ's good boy. Let me know if you need me, Gunn." He hung up and bounced inside, locking the doors behind him. TJ had seen the whole thing but was only shaking his head. "The tentacles are really a distraction and holding thing so the lethal protections can act before they destroy my work area."

TJ held up a hand. "That's really weird and kinda wrong in a lot of ways."

"It's a very protective kraken."

"I'm sure it is." He walked off shaking his head. Xander followed to cuddle his boyfriend into the bed. TJ was good at cuddles. It was the greatest thing about him.

***

TJ looked around Xander's work area's outer area again. It still looked like a large library to him. "How do you know all of these?"

"About half I've had to skim through," Xander admitted. "Some I've read a few times. That section's the working runes section. I've got it separated out by subject."

"Like the library system or just by subject?"

"I did learn how to file by Library of Congress lists," Xander said with a smile. "But I personally hate it so I simplified by subject. I even have a free reading section in here for when I need a break." That bookcase was small and under a window. It was stuffed with obviously read paperbacks, and a few graphic novels tossed on top of the rows of books. TJ wandered over to look at those. A few were very well read. One looked almost brand new. "You haven't read that one yet?" he asked with a point.

Xander looked then shrugged. "I started to because everyone said that every geek should read that. It kinda knocked me out hard." He hugged TJ from behind, pointing at a section. "These are language research ones. It comes in real handy since half of everything is in Latin."

"You read Latin?" TJ asked.

"I read a few languages," Xander reminded him, smiling at him for it. "I only speak a few though."

"Anything that could get you diplomatic service?"

"I'd hate to have to release a new apocalypse kit while I had that sort of job," Xander said, looking confused.

"Why are you putting out a new apocalypse kit?" TJ sighed, staring at his boyfriend. "Is it the sort to take out another competing problem?"

"Almost but it's to take out a huge problem that's coming up in a year. It'll slowly gather power but it'll definitely take out the next few ascension attempts. It might compromise a few people but they're the sort that'd do it anyway."

TJ considered it. "If you tell someone about the other ascension attempts coming up, will they stop them?"

"It's not against the law."

"No but it's against good sense. Especially if they're politicians." He turned Xander to stare at him. "People would hate that."

"They've probably hidden it really hard. Otherwise the sacrifices would have been caught."

"We can still tell someone. See if they can handle it instead. That way people don't give you dirty looks for that kit."

"I've had a few demons who volunteered to be put into kits so they can get new minions." He shrugged a bit and grinned. "Plus they make a lot of money."

"But it's unethical."

"So's a lot of things depending on where you stand. A lot of people hate that I do protections. That's why we have the heavy security system."

"I saw the tentacles. That's weird."

Xander grinned. "But handy and it's not being destroyed."

"I can see that." He sighed, staring at his boyfriend. "Do you really need the money that way?"

"No but they pout if I can't do it. A few even want to fight off other problems. One's even for hunters, so they have a helpful spirit to go with them."

"Would they use it?"

"Some of them, yup. Those are good works so I don't charge much for them."

TJ shook his head. "See if you can do it some other way, Xander. If not, release away." Xander nodded, going to his desk area to look people up. TJ looked at the staring demons. "People would like him more if he's firmly on the side of good."

"Warriors aren't always good," one said. "Fighting does that to one."

"Point I guess." He took Xander back to his music room. Xander grabbed a book on the way but they went to relax in there. TJ ignored that it was work related. Xander did have to continue part of his career, the more legitimate part of it.

As long as the dangerous hunters stayed away and Xander quit doing the dangerous hunting things that drove him nuts. Worry did not look good on his face. He wasn't that sort of boyfriend.

The End.