Voracity's New Realms
New Realms of Imaginings

Site Info

We are the home of 1 author - Voracity.
There are 203 stories consisting of 486 chapters and 7315386 words.

RSS

Most Recent

Where It All Began. FRT
Where It All Began with the future bisexual disaster team members. And a fairly...

Random Story

The Daughter Of the Knight Isn't A Lady. FRT
Xander has a daughter and the daughter has *ideas* thanks to her aunt. So Xander...

Other Sites


Skins



Changing Your Life.

[Reviews - 2]   Author Profile: Voracity2   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Brock took the next day off, not that he told Darcy. He still went into the city to go near the office, but instead he went to his mother's. He knocked before walking in, surprising her since she was eating breakfast. "Ma, I need some help."

"Of course, baby. What's wrong?"

He sat down across from her. "I'm serious about Darcy."

She smiled. "I figured when I heard from your sister that you were buying white wine." She patted his hand with her free hand, the other putting down her coffee cup.

"They don't do the wedding stuff. They do the tea ceremony only with wine."

She blinked a few times. "That's very old fashioned."

"It is. She showed me the necklace she picked out. Neither piece is a family heirloom but they're important to her." She nodded slowly. "The first necklace she picked out herself to put in there. A pendant made from a stone that's been her personal focus for years. And it's important to her."

"A stone?"

"Obsidian, Ma." She scowled. "No, it's special to her and I can see why. Obsidian is made from lava, like volcano lava, that hits water and cools really fast to form into a strong stone. It also flakes off into some of the sharpest flakes ever. People used to make tools and shave with the flakes."

"Oh." She considered it. "That's... that's not totally traditional."

"No, but it's meaningful."

She nodded. "I can see that and I like that sentimental bit about her." She stared at him. "I know you've put a few pretty necklaces in your small hoard, baby."

"They're all pretty standard. I thought they were pretty but nothing's sentimental or special. They're pretty but pretty average and Darcy isn't."

She patted his wrist. "I can go with you to look at them and then pick out something if you want."

"Thank you." He sighed, staring at her.

"Will I get a wedding out of you two?"

"Maybe a renewal."

"So...is it going on your neck or your head?"

He sighed. "My neck. She thought mating would be like an engagement but we've lived together for the last year and a bit. She knows I'm only going for a consortship placement." He stared at her. "I need to find a new glass too. The one she found won't be here for weeks. The family one has a crack."

"Does it need to be crystal?"

"Theirs was made in the sixties. It's a pretty wine glass with a ribbon of silver around the rim. A bit thicker than the current styles but not crystal."

"Hmm. You could take my wedding set."

"No, Ma. Those go to my sister for her wedding." He stared at her. "She'll need 'em. We only need one anyway."

She sighed. "That's romantic, Brock." She finished up, putting her plate and cup in the sink. "Let me shower and change. The bank won't be open for an hour anyway." He nodded, relaxing for now. She came down well dressed, making him smile.

"You haven't worn that in years, Ma. It looks good." He got up to escort her to the car. She locked up the house and he let her hold his arm to get down the stairs. He opened the door for her too. His mother had taught him manners.

***

Brock looked at his choices on the table, then at his mother. "None of them speak 'Darcy' to me." His safety deposit box's hoard was pretty but standard.

She touched one pendant. "That's pretty but that's for just any girl. One who's not picky and might like a hoard that's more expansive."

"Her hoard is mostly art she liked."

His mother smiled. "Really?"

"Really. She'd rather have things she can touch and use and like than something just to sit there. Most of them are in the attic for the moment because she's got to sort out her former aunt's artwork too."

"So she's picked things that are experiences and give her happy feelings."

He nodded. "It is. It's a lot of pretty art, mostly muted abstracts or things that would remind you of The Scream or something. Not realistic but pretty and emotionally connecting."

She nodded. "What about something to go with this then?" she asked, touching one ring. "We can put that on a necklace as a pendant."

He stared at that opal. "Aria adores opals because they hold rainbows." She grinned at that. He played with that ring, looking at it. "It could change with what she wears it with or her mood." He put that into his pocket and put the rest back in the box, keeping out two things. His mother stared at him. "Earrings, Ma."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. She's got solitaires so I was going to make them drops for those."

She patted him on the cheek. "It's good you know what she usually wears."

"A lot of leggings and bigger than needs to be sweaters," he said dryly. "She said she got tired of people thinking her IQ was 'breast' back in high school." She giggled, hugging his arm. "I love it when she dresses up for me but yeah, I appreciate the not too showy thing she usually has." His phone rang so he looked at it.

"Hey, babe. What's up? No, I'm with Mom at the bank. Picking...what happened?" he asked, hearing the stress. "Darcy?" He listened to the voice saying they didn't need to worry. She'd be taken by a proper mate. And then there was an explosion and her phone registered the security system saying 'Jane Foster portal engaged'. "Shit." He handed them to her mother, letting the bank employee lock it again.

"Sorry, gotta rush off. Someone invaded the house. Or Foster's new portal ate the house." He handed his mother the keys and headed out calling his people. They were waiting on him outside the bank so he climbed into the SUV and they took him right to the office to get a flight up. It'd be shorter by about a half hour.

They got there and found Loki staring at the house. "Loki!" Rollins snapped.

Brock put a hand on his arm. "He's been helping Foster." He stomped over. "She was on the phone, someone was threatening her, where's Fennel and Darcy?"

Loki smirked at him. "I'm glad the gift of a guardian soothed the child, but neither are here. Jane's portal ate the idiots, and Fennel was injured as there's a bit of blood, but she and Fennel are both in stasis inside the portal. I cannot bring it down without harming them." He glanced at Rollins then at Brock. "And I do not know how. Jane is presently knocked out by that same group. Her hand hit the machine controls when she went down."

"Who were they?" Brock demanded.

"Not the ones her uncle started but they seem to think the same way. Though one did pray to something weird."

"Like HYDRA weird?"

Loki scowled. "A what now?"

"The ones who had the cube originally," Rollins said. "We helped bring them down from the inside."

"Oh. I did not know that. I have no idea if they're that sort." He pointed. "The only one that survived, mostly, is there. The portal threw him out."

Rollins went to look. "Yup, HYDRA."

"Great." Brock looked at Loki. "Can you get Jane up?"

"She's not remembering this year. She thinks she still dates my brother."

"Fuck!"

"Yes, quite," Loki said dryly. "I have no idea how to handle this. Her portals are not my thing as Darcy says." He stopped him. "If you step in there and get caught by the portal, you may not go to the same area they are. And if he's too injured he could hurt her."

"Fennel won't, even if he's rabid. Can we get Thor to help?"

"No. He's swearing at Jane. This let him know we are together."

"I didn't know until I came out to find you both making breakfast," Brock said dryly. "Okay, let's get Foster to undo this." He went that way with Loki. "Jack, deal with the rest of the agents showing up."

"Yup." He sighed. "This is not good."

"No, it's not," Darcy said, but it wasn't theirs. They stared at her. "Brock?" He came jogging back but paused to stare at her. "Yeah, not the one in the house. Jane's portal belched and I'm back here with the time stone." She held it up with a grin. "I'm here to give it back to the one we took it from later today to fix all this."

He smiled. "Can I have that, baby?"

"Yes you can and please save me from the damn portal since I'm panicking a lot. And Fennel's wound is pretty bad but his shoulder is worse." She stared at him. "I'm stressing over him instead."

"Got it." He took a kiss. "That me is still really lucky." She smiled but looked a bit sad. "Please tell me we didn't break up, baby."

"I have no idea where you are. Fury had you brainwashed and removed. With all of STRIKE. Janice and I are searching but he's getting in the way so I've called a few college buddies to bring down SHIELD." She grinned. "Only you can stop me," she quipped then disappeared.

He squeezed the stone. "How do I use this?"

Loki smirked. "That's a dangerous question, Commander." He strolled closer. "It could change much. Including their injuries and the future. That Darcy may not be yours."

"I'd hope not. I hate being brainwashed." He bounced it in his hand. "Okay, let's use this sucker. Jack?" He came over after telling a few others to guard against idiots like other agents. Loki used the stone to bring them back to handle the issue. They hid out in the woods that night, hunting the idiots that showed up before daybreak. The final one that nearly got Darcy Brock shot with a wink. Then they disappeared back to the current time. Well, a few hours later as time had passed. Rollins called that in and Brock looked at the stone, then at Loki. "Go help Jane?" He grinned, going to do that. "Tell them to leave him alone, Jack."

"Already did. Fury's not happy."

"We'll talk to him in a minute." He saw the staring sorcerer and knew who he was. "Hey, Sorcerer Wong." He tossed the stone at him. "Jane had to borrow it?" He changed, bringing Jack with him on a quick flight home. He dropped Jack onto the top of the team SUV then landed in front of Fury, undoing Loki's cuffs by cutting them open. "Go check on Jane. We don't arrest helpful sorts." He stared at Fury.

"You're letting him go?" he demanded.

"Yeah! He actually helped and he loves Jane." He changed back, staring at him. "We've seen him plenty. He's been seeing Jane now for almost a year." Fury glared. "He's not done a thing wrong and he was the way we solved everyone being hurt earlier. Otherwise Darcy and Fennel would still probably be stuck in a portal while injured and Foster would have a concussion and short term memory loss." He looked at the STRIKE people. "Any of them show back up?"

"No, sir," they said. "Only bodies."

"Good. Let's arrange for them to go home to be shown as martyrs to stupid ideas, boys. Darcy's probably freaked the fuck out and I hate that. We need to prove how much I hate that."

"Yes, sir," they agreed, looking at Rollins, who gave specific orders about where to gather any missing ones so they could return them and make them a very visual point.

Brock looked at Fury. "So why did HYDRA do this?"

"I think they wanted to make sure you weren't happy."

"Well, they fucking suck and are stupid," he said dryly. "Pity for them." He looked at the house as Fennel came out. "You okay, boy? Let's look you over." Fennel came over to let himself be checked over. The one shoulder was still warm. "That looks sore. Did you hurt yourself?" The wolf lapped him. Darcy came out with a large glass of something clear. "Baby, you good?"

"No," she said, her voice squeaky. "And I'm about to have a fit."

He walked the wolf over and hugged her. "I will make sure they won't come again." She let out a tiny squeak. "Why are you so freaked out? HYDRA or something else?"

She blinked a few times. "They were HYDRA?" He nodded. "Well, fuck them!"

"I'd never have that bad of taste, but maybe we can find someone who can summon a real hydra so they can worship in person." She snorted, looking up at him. "Hey, I'm here, calm down." He cuddled her. "You good?" he asked in her ear. She shook her head. "Just freaked or injured?"

"Freaked. Panicking and freaked."

"Go check on Jane?"

"I'm not going to interrupt the time honored girlfriend checking." She blinked then went 'oooh'. He nodded with a smirk. "Oh, I'm sorry."

"Baby, they're going to be sorry. I'm just glad that you landed back here."

"I... What?" He hissed in her ear. "I probably called Doug and maybe Tommy and Horton. He hears a who through the internet." She grinned. "And I'd totally do that." He nodded, kissing her gently. "You need to go do macho agent stuff."

"I'm the guy in charge now. I don't have to lift bodies." She grimaced, sipping her drink. "Vodka or tequila?"

"Tequila. Jane introduced me to tequila and I only drink vodka in mixed drinks." She rested against his chest. "This is all screwed up."

"We are still doing it this weekend. They can bite me if they try again and I'll make a hydra appear my own damn self." She burst out in giggles but it went to hysterical so he walked her inside to cuddle her with the wolf helping.

Fury looked at Rollins. "Shouldn't he be out here handling things?"

"I can do it! I've done the same stuff for years, Fury." He scowled at him. "Fuck the hell off for now. Let us finish taking down more of HYDRA."

Fury glared at him. "Do you want to keep being employed?"

"Not sure at the moment. Seems like shit's coming soon." Fury walked off rolling his eyes. He called someone, waving the phone around slowly. "Came to threaten Darcy to get back to Brock," he told the woman. Who grimaced. "Thankfully we ran into an incident with Foster's portals two ways. Including one that brought a later Darcy back."

"Interesting," she said. "At the house?" He nodded. "I can be there soon."

"He wanted us to give 'em back." He smirked. "Said they should become martyrs to the stupid idea."

"Yes, they should," she agreed. She looked behind her. "Thor is not going to be helpful."

"I found out earlier Foster's dating his brother. Rumlow said they're happy."

"Huh." She nodded. "That's a good thing if it calms Loki down."

"Who is that?" Thor demanded behind her.

"Agent Rollins from STRIKE. They had to take out HYDRA agents who showed up to hurt Darcy."

"Why would they?"

"Because Rumlow's getting ready to do a consortship ritual with her," she said impatiently. "Demoralizing an enemy was a known tactic even when you were a child, Thor." He slumped. "And frankly, if Loki understands her science and desires toward it, then he's probably good for her life. Maybe it'll make him more calm and less apt to invade places." She looked at Rollins again. "When do we bring them back?"

"Tonight good for you?"

"An excellent time. I'll ask Steve if he wants to go with us."

"Please do." He smirked as he hung up. He looked at the staring director. "Romanoff said she'd love to help the handover." Fennel came out to sniff people, staring at one. "We know, Fennel. We don't know who replaced 'im yet but we know he's not him." The wolf stared at the guy until he backed away slowly and changed back to himself. Then the wolf smirked and changed to Loki, punching the guy. "He after Foster?"

"Yes! He's the one that laid the devices that spy on us and the main house. It's what let the idiots earlier to know when to show up. It's what broke some of Jane's machines. I would rather not see her destroy this realm. It'd mean less amusement." He strolled off again.

"I guess he'd know since all royal thrones have politics around them," Rollins said. "Let me check the couple." He went into the house. "We hate that they did this because of us, Darcy. Don't blame him for that?" he asked.

She snorted, waving the glass around. "They didn't say a single thing about you guys. Not a one." Brock moaned. "My father opened his huge ass idiot mouth again."

"They're going after your grandfather, aren't they?" Brock asked. Darcy nodded, taking another drink. "We can stop that too."

She looked at him. "They did a better background check than Fury did since they wanted to know if I still did chemistry." She finished that glass. "Vowed they could bring the family heirlooms there so I could mark the mate they'd give me." She got up but Brock gently pulled her into his lap. "I'm fine."

"I'm not." She stared at him. "Can I have your father arrested on something non-serious and have him tortured in jail?"

She giggled, hugging him. "Don't tempt me!"

"I can do that," he said. "Just ask, Love."

She sniffled, staring at him. "This didn't drive you off?"

"Nope. Not in the least." Someone outside landed and he sighed.

Rollins looked. "Darcy's in here, Lady Sif. Loki's protecting his girlfriend out back."

She came up to stare at them. "What has happened and what is this about Loki dating?"

Darcy blinked at her. "Loki's been seeing Jane for a year now." She grinned. "He's so sweet to her and helps her with idea problems by backrubs."

Sif blinked a few times. "Heimdall said that Fennel was injured."

"His shoulder is a bit sore," Brock said. "We're taking him to the vet tomorrow. Today's been a day of someone trying to invade. He's been favoring it a bit for a few days but it feels like it may be arthritis. I gave him a heat pack the other day and he liked it a lot."

Sif blinked a few more times. "He has what?" Fennel got summoned and she squatted to test his shoulders, then nodded. "That is fairly standard for larger beasts. I can bring him home."

"If you do, Aria will sob and I'll let her up there to cry on you," Darcy said, staring at her. "Fennel is her friend and she panics if he's not nearby when she gets home. He's got a vet to take care of him, Sif. But thank you for the offer of having him treated for it."

She tipped her head. "He may not be able to protect her."

"Sif, Fennel makes people piss themselves just because he's big." She stared at her. "The same way Thor makes girls drop their panties because he's tall and blonde." She burst out giggling but nodded. "Fennel's a good boy and we love him. He's staying. We'll have his shoulder looked at tomorrow so you can tell his breeder about it."

"Fine. I would not rob Aria of her friend." She petted him before standing up. "What has happened?"

"My biological father was an idiot and got me notice from HYDRA because they wanted to know where his father was and he doesn't know."

"Does he have special skills?"

Darcy stared at her. "I can't tell you because there's some people who're probably watching who'd want to kill him for existing, Sif." Sif frowned. "Seriously. Including Thor. I heard his story about some hunt in the snow lands...."

Sif stiffened. "A true dragon?" she hissed.

Darcy nodded. "Yup, that's what they were looking for. Which they won't get and neither will anyone else." She stared at her.

"We did not know that they still existed. We consider them fouling up the energies of the planet."

"If it wasn't for them, none of us changers would be here," she quipped. "Including me and my daughter." Sif stepped back. "All us dragon changers have a true dragon in our bloodlines. That's why we change. Though they really did that because the Romans were trying to get things by flattering them. They taught them about the human women they thought were property." Darcy grimaced. "So they created changers."

"I thought that was magically gifted."

Darcy shook her head. "Nope. It was not." Sif shuddered, shrinking away from her. "Not like I've done that, Sif. The start of my line was a woman who wanted to be able to take care of her family. She offered to bear a true heir in return for it." She shrugged. "She gave up the kid and left once she had delivered."

"That is still a bit foul."

"Wasn't my generation," she quipped. "I only sleep with Brock." She nodded at him. "His family's been changers now for over ten generations."

Sif shuddered. "I cannot imagine."

"And yet you asked Loki if he could change to draw off a giant spider by his wiles." She stared at her. Sif walked off shaking her head. She looked at Jack. "Aria needs to be picked up in a half hour."

"I can go do that," Brock said. "But my car's in the Bronx with my mom." She looked at him. "I took her to pick out which thing I'm putting on you this weekend." He took a kiss. "Let me go pick her up in the team SUV." He moved her so he could get up, walking off with Jack. "Find them for me, 'kay?"

"Already looking." He looked at him. "Romanoff said she'd love to help hand them back."

"That's one classy lady, she could probably even write a nice thank you note." He nodded at Hill as he walked past her. "Going to pick up Aria."

"Fine. I noticed your car isn't here."

"My mom was helping me at the bank. She has it." He got into the team SUV and drove it off to the school. He had forgotten to look in the back but there wasn't a body. Just an agent typing on his computer. "Pat, tell me if you find 'em."

"Gladly. Its nice the town has wifi."

"It is. Means I get to read on my phone in the park with the kid while she's on the playground."

"You don't play soccer with her?"

"She considers that exercise and nasty." He grinned back at him as he parked. "She hates to run and jump and play but she'll sit on my exercise bike to read while pedaling because she can't handle a regular bike."

"Trike?"

"She said she's too big until she's old enough to get one like the motorcycle one she saw."

"Those are sweet." He went back to typing. He looked behind them. "We were followed."

He looked. "That's Stephens. He lives on the other side of town." He got out to talk to him. "Hey."

"Commander." He glanced around then looked at him. "Why do you have a SHIELD SUV here?"

"Had to come up to remove HYDRA from the house." Stephens winced. "Everyone's fine. Darcy drank the panic attack away so I'm picking up the kid."

"That's good. Are you on her list?"

"Of course. I'm going to be her stepdad."

"Aww. That's sweet. I'll tell the wife." Brock grinned. "Any other traumas?"

"Hill and Fury are both glaring at Loki, who's been dating Jane Foster. Thor's not pleased when he heard today. And apparently Lady Sif didn't realize how changers came to be. All in one afternoon."

Stephens snickered but nodded. "Darcy is the ultimate protective mama dragon. It'll be okay I'm sure. Even if she does change and sit on Thor." Kids started to come out. He waved his over. "Donald, this is Commander Rumlow of STRIKE. They're part of SHIELD."

"Also known as Aria Lewis' stepdad." Brock smiled and held out a hand. "Nice to meet you, Donald."

"It's nice to meet you too, sir." He smiled and shook his hand. "She got called to the office twice today."

"Oooh," Brock sighed. "I did that many times though." The duo walked off laughing. He went inside, smiling at the school secretary. "Is Aria in detention?"

"Someone wanted to talk to her but she refused and went to hide. We had to call her back out to get her back to class. She should be right out."

"Thanks. Who wanted to talk to her?"

"He said he was her grandfather. The principal wasn't so sure so she said they had to do it in front of her."

"Yeah, her grandfather's a crank that's trying to start a movement with changers taking over on others. I'd rather he not ever get near her. Her mother will kill her father for that."

"Good! Darcy's always so nice but overprotective."

He grinned. "I like her that way." He winked and walked outside. "Hey, shorty, SUV." He pointed. Aria beamed at him. "Let's go check on your mom. Bad people tried the house again so she's a bit drinking," he said once they were inside.

"Like the same one that came to see me today?"

"I think it might be related, yup. Which means I get to change form and stomp on someone." She hugged his arm. "Let's go home. Homework?"

"Nope. Did it earlier," she said happily. "Recess was super boring."

"That happens sometimes but you should always take the time to play."

"We were inside. I didn't want to play with the balls in the gym."

"I can see how that happens." He took her back. He parked and got out, nodding at Fury. "Her grandfather was here? Tried to talk to her at school."

"The fuck?" Fury demanded.

"Shut your whore mouth around me," Aria complained. "Only assholes swear around little girls."

"Excuse you?" Brock asked her with a smirk. "Who taught you that?"

"Auntie Jane." She walked off. "Let me check on Fennel then I'll check on her."

"He's in the house. He's going to see the vet tomorrow for that shoulder thing."

"That's good. I know it's warm and I tried to give him an ice pack but he didn't understand." She spotted Sif and ran over to try to hug her but Sif held her off. She pouted. "I'm sorry if I upset you, Lady Sif."

"It wasn't you, Aria, but it's not a good day for cuddles."

"That happens. That's why someone mean tried to talk to me at school. Is Fennel okay?"

"I think his shoulder may have a problem. Sometimes his line does."

"We'll figure it out then. He's a very good boy. And a great friend to me. Even when I sneezed on him." She ran inside. "Fennel!"

Brock looked up there at the "EXCUSE ME, WHO TRIED TO TALK TO YOU TODAY" that came out of the house. "Shit," he said. "Darcy, let me handle it please?" he called, walking up there. Nope. Darcy came out, changed, and went to find her father to kill his dumb tail. "Darcy, let me help!" he shouted.

"Watch the egg, Brock. It's my father and I'm having a talk with him."

"Yeah, sure." He nodded, nodding at two of the dragon changers in STRIKE to follow. They changed and followed her to help. And hopefully arrest. He looked at Sif. "You just took out a prejudice on a little girl who did nothing but be born." He gave her a pointed look. "None of us want Aria to realize that people are like that." He walked inside to cuddle her. "Your Ma's going to go stomp someone into the dirt, princess. We should work on dinner for when she gets back." She cheered, going to wash her hands to help him. "My mom wants to see you next weekend."

"She's a neat grandma," Aria agreed with a grin. "She tells me all sorts of stories about you when you were my age."

"She's been waiting a long time to tell those." He washed his own hands, looking in the fridge. "I think your mom had plans for those meats. So ...carbonara?"

"Too much. Mom will be mad later and won't need anything too big. Salad?"

"We can do that. Grilled veggies as salad?"

She nodded with a beaming grin. "That's a good idea!" They got to work chopping while he helped her learn how to saute vegetables.

Outside Nick Fury looked at Rollins. "Is it always like this?"

"Yup. He's a good da to her. Darcy's an excellent mom. She's a good kid who doesn't realize that bad people do things that we have to end. No kid should ever know what we have to do sometimes."

"No, they shouldn't," Hill agreed. "Agent Stephens wanted to make sure that we didn't need him."

"His kid goes to her school," Rollins said.

"Interesting." She gave him a weird look.

"He lives in the same town. Rumlow looked up people near here."

"Oh." She nodded. "That makes sense." She looked up at the feeling of a draft, getting out of the way of the body falling down there. Then the hovering dragon landed and turned back into Darcy. She kicked the other dragon until it changed back. "Lewis, can we arrest that notorious crank?" she asked.

"Not yet. He wanted to have my little girl hurt and me hurt and kidnaped, so he could hurt his own father for daring to let him be born." She kicked him again until her father turned back to try to defend herself.

"You're...."

"My mother was Abigail. Yeah, you're my sperm donor," she said dryly, staring at him. "Want the DNA test we had done to make sure? Even Ancestry knows that." The man looked horrified, backing away from her. "And you went after my damn daughter!"

"She's just special to my father!"

"Duh! Motherfucker, of course my grandfather has met my daughter!" He shuddered. She punched him a few times but Rollins kept him from running away from her. She manifested claws and went after him again, making Jack bounce away from her a few times. Her father was making begging noises but couldn't defend himself. Brock came down and shot him in the stomach, then looked at Darcy. "Hey!" she complained.

He grinned and kissed her. "My turn? We're making vegetable salad tonight because Aria wanted it."

She blinked a few times. "You're getting her to eat vegetables? She quit doing that for me last month."

"I gave her a choice. She picked that over carbonara because it might be too heavy for you after you kick his ass." He shot the guy again, this time in the leg, when he tried to move. "Not done with you yet." He looked at him and the guy shrank away from him. "Baby, why don't you go wash your hands and we'll eat." She rolled her eyes. "I'd like to have a manly talk about how real dragons don't abandon their baby mother even if it was just a midnight fling."

"You'd have to teach my mother that too."

"I can do that too. I certainly wouldn't abandon you even if it was just a midnight thing. My mother would've killed me." She kissed him. "Go wash your hands. You got them all messy." She nodded, going inside to do that. He looked at the guy. "You're such a failure as a parent and you think we want to follow you? You don't even do what you talk about, Frederick."

He stared at him. "I mean, hell, she's the one that broke the weak asses in the confederation councils when they tried to sell her into marriage against her will. You're not even as good as your daughter and now you want to have her and her daughter tortured because you've got daddy issues?"

"Where's her baby's father?" he sneered.

"She was raped, asshole." The man flinched back. "One of your minions had a crackhead idea about suppressants and stole hers while she was on a college campus. So you're directly responsible for her raping and your granddaughter, who you tried to kidnap from school earlier today so I know you knew about her, coming into being."

"I only knew that she was special to my father!"

"Uh-huh. Yank the other side, they play Jingle Bells." He moved closer. "I'm at least thousands of times the man you are, and at least double that as a dragon. Your daughter, better than I'll ever be and more than I deserve. Hell, your father doesn't even remember your name anymore but he bought a phone to talk to his granddaughter." He stared him down. "You will not come near my girls again or you and I will go round and I'll do it the traditional way."

"I can take you now even with the injuries she did," he sneered, changing.

Brock changed and stomped his ass until the guy was unconscious. Then he slit his throat with a claw, just deep enough to scar and bleed but not kill him, staring at him. "Never come near my girls again. I'm not merciful. I've taken out terrorist groups by myself and you're not even bad enough to get a single agent watching over you.

"Be damned if I need to baby your granddaughter through the trauma of meeting you." The other one flinched away from him. "Now, go the fuck away. Never come near them again unless you're offering a bone marrow transplant to them or an organ they need, and shut the hell up.

"We don't need your shit in the community. There's already too many failed men like you out there. It's why your daughter was single so long and all the other daughters you fathered probably are too." He sucked in a breath through his nose.

"Kill me then!" the asshole demanded. "You think you're so hot, kill me."

Brock changed back and shot him in the head. "You're not worth the death by fire." He walked off putting his gun back into the holster. "Jack, I made that veggie salad thing for her. You want some?"

"Please." He walked over the body, going up to eat. The rookies could clean up the mess Brock had made.

Fury looked at Hill. "When did I lose control of this?"

"When you showed up assuming you had control," she said, staring back. "You can't tell Foster she can't date whoever she wants. Even if it's Loki. You can't tell Lewis not to handle things to protect herself and her daughter. The same as Lady Sif can't say what happened back in a past bloodline matters now." She looked at her. "Please don't upset the child, Lady Sif. She's fairly delicate for being five." She looked at the waiting agents. "Clean up their mess, people. We'll go deliver the HYDRA bodies back to them to prove they're idiots as requested."

"Are we just ignoring Loki?" Fury demanded.

"If they've been dating over a year and our surveillance hasn't caught them yet, I doubt he's planning on using her to destroy the earth," Rollin's new second-in-command, Doug the medic, said blandly. "And really, our surveillance is illegal as we have no reason to watch our own person or his personal relationships since she's not turning him to another side, sirs."

He stared at Fury. "Especially since our devices led them to her. I've already helped stomp one person who thought about selling pictures of the kid running around." Fury flinched back. "Be damned if SHIELD should support that sort, sir. If it does, maybe we'll be reformed under Rumlow. Even if that does mean a lot of PT daily."

"New wife, it'll distract him," another on the team quipped. "So we've got at least a year before he decides to beat us all for not being as fit as he is." He looked at himself. "Maybe if I was, I could find a woman like Lewis. She's one hell of a woman. Even if she is a goofy mom sort." He walked over the new body, going to get a bag for it. They had a trash bag he was sure. They scraped him into it and tossed him with the others, letting that agent finally leave the scene.

Nick Fury left behind them, letting Hill finish the clean up.

Maria looked at the agents. "Behave, be on shift by tomorrow at noon, don't make Lewis stomp you, bring me a report on if Foster is getting married soon so I have time to find a present." She left them there.

Lady Sif shook her head. "They'd accept him dating Thor's former girlfriend?"

"They were over with over a year ago," one of the guys said. "They broke up back when they were in the science labs in the Tower, Lady Sif." She grimaced. "She hasn't been Thor's for years and Loki seems to genuinely like her. He listens to her, helps her with her progress, and keeps her from going overboard and dying from not eating for days on end. She's a lucky woman to find someone decent, even if he was evil and tortured and stuff."

She stared at him. "You know of him how?"

"You know, most people think I look like my father," he quipped, staring at her. Her eyes went wide. He grinned and wiggled his fingers. "Tell Pop I said hi."

"Your mother..."

"Oh, no. No, there was a battle and alcohol, and ...." He shrugged. "My stepmom knows though. I've talked to her more than once." He grinned. "Tell him I said hi?"

"I will do such," she said, staring at him. "Loki does not bother you?"

"Men in love don't make wars unless they're forced to."

"True. The other thing..."

He shrugged again. "They are not their ancestors. And really, most of those maidens used were slaves of the Romans trying to get favors. Did they have a choice?" She slumped, shaking her head. "Then they are what they are and who they are. I'd feel creeped out if there were present day ones but again, not our job. I know that teaching that little girl that people hate you for how you're born is evil though."

"Point," she admitted. "I would not want to do that." She sighed, looking inside. "I'll have someone ask about Fennel's shoulder in a few days." She looked up and got sent back home by Heimdall.

The agent looked at the others, who just shook their heads.

"Tell your dad I said hi and I'm going to tickle him again the next time I see him," Darcy called from the house. "And you do look too much like him. I almost expected you to hit on me like he did." The agent burst out laughing as he walked off.

***

Brock smirked at his mom the next morning. "I've got two hours before I have to appear at the office, Ma."

"Good." She handed over those things he had left, letting him look at them. "C'mon. I know just who can do that by this weekend."

He nodded. "She's upset today because her dirtbag of a donor showed up." She poked him on the arm. "Seriously! Knew he had a kid and didn't even care. Thankfully he's gone too." She hugged his arm. He kissed her on the head. "Fennel's going to the vet today. He's got a shoulder thing."

"That's good it's being taken care of." She walked him off. Someone tried to rob them but she stared at the young idiot. "He's a federal agent, boy. Go home!" She pointed. "Before I tell your mother you're out here acting like an idiot!" He ran off. "The neighborhood has slightly fallen down some."

"It happens everywhere. They see it on video games and decide it's cool." She giggled, patting his arm as she led him to the family's usual jeweler. He stared. "I didn't think they were still here."

"Barely here. The owner's nearly eighty so it won't be too much longer probably. It'll be a shame to lose them." She opened the door and let Brock handle it. She smiled at the old, stooped man at the counter. "Brock, this is Mr. Evans. He's the one who made my engagement ring."

He smiled, putting down the three things. "I need a chain to put that opal on as a pendant. And the two stones to be made into drops to fit onto solitaires if you can."

The man stared at him. "How soon is the wedding?"

"We're bonding this weekend. I can wait for a few months on the earrings but I'd like to present them at the same time if you can."

The man smiled. "Setting that ring as a pendant won't be that big of a problem, or putting settings on those stones, young man. Come look at necklaces."

Brock found one that he was drawn to. "Ma?" He looked at her. She came over to look. "Not the shiny one, she's not into twinkly things and her hoard isn't all that glittering."

"The one that looks like a rainbow? The herringbone."

He nodded, standing up to look at her. "Is that a lighting thing or is it actually painted?"

"It's different types of metal actually." He let Brock see it. "That's a great bonding necklace but the opal might look odd." He pointed at the chains. "There's a few pretty types we can string that on easily."

Brock got down to look at them. "I like the Palma style. It looks pretty sturdy yet pretty. But the Figaro style is more delicate."

"I can put those stones around the opal if you want," Mr. Evan offered with a grin.

"We don't get out much. We live a bit more in the country and she's the new family matriarch."

"Hmm. Most of them would demand bigger things."

Brock smiled. "Hers to me is more sentimental and meaningful to her than stately. Also, she's about thirty."

"Go with the figaro style. Get the palma one for something else." He smiled. "It could be a pretty bracelet. So would the herringbone one you were drawn to."

"I..." He considered it then looked at his mother.

"I doubt she'd be returning such a big gift," his mother said. "Darcy's not acquisitive. She always wears the same pieces of jewelry."

"I... Yeah, I like that idea. Let's do the figaro chain with the opal. We'll do the other two bracelets so she has daily wear stuff too." He smiled at his mother. "She'd probably wear more if she had more, Ma."

"Good point. They'll look pretty with her usual leggings and baggy sweaters."

He smiled. "That's what I was hoping." He put his arm through hers to go back to the work area. "Have you seen those stone-less rings they wear sometimes?"

"Yes but they're very carved usually," Mr. Evan said, smiling at him. "This one's a nice band but it'd probably look better with another stone instead. Perhaps something more substantial than an opal though. It was definitely too delicate for that setting."

"Maybe for our next anniversary." Mr. Evan smiled and nodded. "She's really not the sort I thought I'd end up with. She's not a career woman. She's a helper sort. She's very womanly and not into fitness."

"Sometimes opposites do attract, dear, and you're alike in many ways," his mother said gently. He nodded. "And you do adore her daughter."

"Aria's the neatest kid I've met. A bit mouthy like her mom but a great little girl." He grinned at her. "She said I could give her siblings when I told her I wanted more kids to join the family. But she said I couldn't expect her to do girly things with it because that would be like playing with dolls and she wasn't that sort of girl."

His mother burst out giggling. "She walked up to someone's motorcycle and petted it like it was sentient, including talking to it about needing a bath like her poor dog Fennel, who hates baths. The biker was very amused but promised he'd give her a bath later. We had to explain all bikes were girls."

"Awww." She smiled at him. "She's a good grandchild."

"She's one hell of a girl. Did I ever tell you she messed with something in her aunt's lab and nearly destroyed the moon? She was being helpful by putting in numbers."

"That figures," she agreed, still smiling. "She is one very interesting young girl." She rubbed his arm. "Has she scaled up yet?"

"She did that at four, Ma."

"Really?"

"Her mom fully changed at seven."

"Ooh." She blinked up at him. "Do you two get along on that level?"

"I learned a few things from her and her family." He grinned. "They don't have a one or another side. They do both at the same time."

"That's interesting. I've never heard about that. I'll ask Darcy when I see her next time." He nodded, letting her hug his arm again. He paid for the work and said he could be back Friday when it was offered. They shook Mr. Evan's hand after paying then went back to her house for a few minutes then he had to get to work.

Brock walked in and saw all the looks in his direction. "I can go home again," he offered with a point. They got back to work and he made it to his desk. He had a few emails waiting about the report he sent in. His desk also had two cards on it and a new mug with candy in it. "Thank you," he called. He grinned as he opened them and put the candy into his bag for Darcy and Aria. He texted her about Fennel. They were taking x-rays.

He told her about the cards and she said to say thank you for her too. She'd write letters later if he wanted. They'd handle it pretty well. "Low cartilage," he muttered. "That figures. My knee feels like that sometimes. Can they fix it?" he muttered as he typed that. He winced at the suggested surgery.

"Hmm. Will that cause later problems?" She asked that already and they said probably not, it didn't usually, but they referred her to an orthopedic specialist who had done some zoo work as well. He was in Syracuse. So that was an easy enough day trip. He agreed to that and she agreed with the vet. Fennel got two shots too. She noted Aria had an upcoming shot appointment too and she might need someone to help hold her down.

Jack looked over. "Big things?"

"Fennel's at the vets. He's got a shoulder with not enough cartilage."

That got a nod. "Seen others with that sort of joint. Specialty vet?"

"Yeah," he agreed. "One in Syracuse. So we'll probably see within a week. Darcy asked for backup for kid shots too."

Jack nodded. "Remember when she was so bruised from the last set?"

"Ooh. Yeah." He nodded. "I do remember seeing that bruise. We'll have to help with that. I'd hate to handcuff the kid."

"You can't do that," another agent said. "That's considered kid cruelty." He grinned. "Aria hates shots?" Brock nodded. "They'll probably help hold her down."

"Maybe I can talk her into meditating through them," Brock said.

"Maybe," the other guy agreed. "But doubt it at her age." That got a grimace and a nod. Yeah, they'd handle it he guessed.

***

They finally got time alone on Saturday. Jane was crying on Aria, even though she and Fennel didn't understand why. She was determined to make her aunt feel better.

Darcy was making the special almond bites when Brock came out of his workout area, all sweaty and a towel on his shoulder. "Hey." She took a kiss with a smile.

"Can I help once I shower?"

"Not a lot I can't do. If you want you can handle the mixing things for this. The pork belly is already marinating from the braise time and is ready to roast at any time. The venison is already ready and melding together. The other stuff is ready to be put on the grill once we're ready. I just have to finish these."

"Okay. Let me shower really fast." He went to do that and came out with just a simple pair of pants. They looked good on him, riding a few inches low to show off his hips. She showed him how to use the almond paste to surround the berry mixture. He remembered to put the wine in the fridge and came back to help her form little almond bites. He watched. "Why the ground up bacon fat?"

"To take the place of the butter or lard that they'd usually use." She smiled and took a kiss. "It means it matches better with the rest of dinner too."

"Okay. That makes sense." He kept making little dollops of almond paste surrounding the berry mixture. It was hard to keep them together but she showed him how to dampen his fingers to help with that. He grinned, making more of them. He could see her eating a few of these. She moved to put the pork belly pieces into the oven while they finished the little dessert bites.
The pork belly came out and got set to cool down. He'd look at them but they were covered for now. He went to set up the room, smiling when he found all the candles laid out. Two pillows to sit on around a small table. Beside it was the table with the grill and the platters for the meat dishes. He adjusted them slightly to put the grill on its own so it wouldn't get other things too warm. Also so it was on metal instead of on top of a wood table. They did not need a fire today.

Darcy came in to fuss at things. "That's a good idea. I couldn't find something safer to put the grill on." She took a kiss. "Thank you."

"Oil?" he asked. He lit the grill to get it ready.

"In the warm water on the back porch. I put the new cushions on the chaise out there." She took another kiss. "Things are in the oven. I'll be right back." She went to shower and change.

Brock went to look around the kitchen to make sure nothing burned. The almond bites were getting a bit brown so he took them out, letting them cool on the wire rack waiting for the pan. Darcy came out winding up her wet hair and smiled at him for that. The foil was off the pork belly and they were in under the broiler at the moment.

He brought the special glass and the first wine bottle to that set up room. It was the least he could do since she had cooked so much. He settled himself on the pillow with his back to the door. It showed he trusted her. Her necklace was in his pocket with the bracelets. The earrings would be done in another week. He calmed himself when he heard her bringing in things, smiling at her. He was ready for this. He was ready for her. She was calm so he could not be giddy and dance around.

She went back to bring in the other few dishes, finishing with the pork belly that was still sizzling. She settled herself on the other pillow, smiling at him. "Together, we will join our nests," she said quietly, taking his hand. "Make a new line of our own."

"Our own line," he agreed, squeezing her hand. He had looked this all up a few days earlier when he realized he should say something. "Your nest is mine and your eggs are my eggs, even the one born before us."

She smiled and nodded. "Our future eggs will be protected by both of us."

"I'll protect you and them, Darcy. Always." She grinned. He tried to remember if there was something else. Oh, yeah. The providing. "I'll give our nest what it needs to survive, thrive, and mature into a long life of being healthy."

She relaxed and nodded. "I'll take what you bring me and make it for us." She let go of his hand and moved to put the plate in the center of the table. She put the first meat on there, the venison tartar, with a few pieces of pumpernickel bread waiting for them. She put the thinly sliced, marinated beef on the ready grill, and put two pieces of pork belly on the plate. It only took a minute for the beef to cook so she pulled it over and rolled it up with the fork. She held up the first bite of the venison, letting him eat it from her fingers.

He moaned at the flavor. "You did great, babe. That's...I've never had that."

She smiled. "I added a bit more herbiness than I would with the steak version." She held up the beef roll, letting him eat it. He smiled as he barely had to chew. Then the piece of roasted pork belly in plum sauce. It was crusted from the baked glaze. Pork belly was what bacon came from so it was fatty and soft and just melted for him. He moaned again. She grinned. "Does it go well?"

"It goes very well," he said, staring at her. He licked his lips. "It goes very well and you did a fantastic job." She beamed. He poured the wine into the single glass, taking a sip of it to taste it. It was subtle but not too light. It had a good flavor and a bit of acid. He held it out to her. "Drink, my consort."

She licked her lips and sipped then ate in the reverse order he had. He smiled, letting her pick up the glass to sip then let him have some. This was starting to turn him on. The candles, the low light, the food, the tastes, her smiling at him. Now he knew why they did it this way. She served more food and wine, letting them finish what they wanted.

Then she opened the other bottle and pulled over the tiny almond bites. They were about thumb-tip sized. She held up the first one, smiling at him. He knew it was traditional. He sucked it from her fingers, then moaned at the taste. A bit burnt tasting but that was almonds being baked. The berries gooshed out as he bit down, leaving his tongue coated with sweet and the bacon fat and a touch of honey. He moaned again as he swallowed. She let him have the wine to sip. "This goes well with that especially."

She smiled. "I'm glad I could do this the right way. Grandma Russie taught me to make these but I haven't since I was sixteen." She fed him another one and he fed her the next one. She moaned a bit, nodding she had done good. She sipped the wine, letting him have the glass back.

"Should've saved some of the berries so I could spread it over you later to lick off," he teased. She giggled, shaking her head. "I know, I'd need to cook it but I could probably blend it into a pudding to spread over you. I'd love to lick that off your breasts."

"Brock," she sighed, blushing. "Seriously?"

"Seriously." He stared at her, feeding her another almond bite. "Do we usually do this naked?"

"No. In the old days you'd be surrounded by family members or maybe monks singing if you were wealthy enough."

"Monks?" he asked with a grin.

"There were monks everywhere back then."

"Is that why we have music playing?"

"Yup, just some light instrumental stuff."

"It's pretty. Just like you." He stared at her. "Take off the shirt?"

She shook her head with a smile. "You're supposed to strip me off."

"I can do that." He took another sip of wine and fed it to her. Then another almond bite. She smiled at him. "Let's put this up so I can oil you down, my queen?" She blushed again but got up to help him do that. The rest of the wine got poured into normal glasses and went with them out to the chaise on the back porch.

Brock stripped her shirt off her, then shoved down the light cotton pants she wore, leaving her naked. He oiled his hands, working them over her skin slowly and gently, making her shiver and lay down. To them, that was like a submission to his will in this. He grinned, oiling her down all over. He kneaded each muscle, making sure he got every crack and crevice as well. Just taking his time to appreciate her body and how the skin felt.

She motioned him down and got the oil for her own use. He laid there, letting her oil him however she wanted. She was more erratic about her path but she teased him by avoiding the hot spots she knew he had. The second pass got a light teasing stroke nearer to them. The third got a touch on them. The fourth he moaned and made begging noises so she oiled where he wanted. He flipped over to loom over her, staring at her. She wiggled some when the staring got intense.

Then she changed to her smaller form and got free of him, taking off for the sky as she moved to her full size form. He smirked, changed to follow her. They met high up in the air, him twining around her body but she wiggled free and sped off. He followed, teasing her and she taunted him back by getting free of him. He knew that couples usually landed in dragon form and started the consummation from there but he wasn't sure about her issue with that. He finally wrapped her in his paws, nipping her throat with his snout. "Ready?" he purred.

"Yes," she moaned.

He got them to the ground softly. She stretched out and he leaned against her back. "Move the tail for me, sweetheart. Let me in," he said in her ear. "Just let me in." She did, swishing her tail side-to-side. He wiggled his way closer as her tail moved, letting him have a small opening to mount her. He managed it with impeccable timing.

She stiffened but he nibbled on her throat. "Brock," she whined.

"Want to change already?" he asked. "I will let you lead there, Darcy. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable with me." She looked back at him then took off again. He rushed after her, watching how she flew. She wasn't exactly fighting it but she wasn't making it easy on him. She was the most challenging woman he'd ever had but the enjoyed that about her. He finally caught her again and held her tight while his wings held them up, mounting her again, staring at her eyes.

"Like this?" he asked quietly. She reached over to bite him on the throat, making him moan and nip back. He thrust in harder, making them shift position because they were in the air free floating on his wings. She moved her wings to help them stay up. He finally had to land them, still holding her tight against his front as they rutted. "Mine, Darcy."

"Yours," she begged. "Brock, please."

He licked her throat where he had bitten her. "You are mine and I will do whatever you need me to do, Darcy. Take me and make me yours." She tightened around him, making him work harder to be able to move. "Ooooh, Darcy. Please!" She relaxed slightly, turning around to change back into a human form. He changed back, lunging to get her back. He put her on his lap, thrusting hard up into her until she clawed his shoulders with her hands. His head dipped down to taste her nipple, his hands going to hold her hips down in place. "Darcy," he moaned. "Please, babe."

"Nearly there," she panted, riding his motions. "More, Brock." She reached for her arm but he stopped her hand and held it instead. She blinked at him.

"That wasn't me wanting the patch off, Darcy. I want that sucker to stay right there."

"Are you in rut?" she panted.

"No, just happy to see you." He grinned, pushing in harder, making her shiver. "Just come. Let me do what I want to do. I want to make you scream in pleasure tonight, mostly on my tongue. Please come so I can do that."

"You..."

"Won't be coming for a few minutes. Please, babe, just come." He teased her clit, making her wiggle and tense up until she finally went over and bit him hard on the shoulder. "Oh, baby." He panted, getting control of himself. He picked her up, picking up their clothes on the way to the bedroom carrying her. She gave him an odd look. "It's in my pocket."

"I put mine in the bedroom."

He grinned. "I didn't have that forethought." He dropped the clothes next to the bed on his side, then carefully put her onto the bed. She had changed the sheets so the leftover oil and sweat on her skin wouldn't stain their usual one if they got too messy. He stared down at her, then stayed staring at her as he leaned toward her nipple. She giggled, wiggling away from him. That helped his angle anyway so that was good. He licked and nibbled over her chest until she was getting breathy again. He touched her, gently using his fingers to make her open up so he could look her over. "You are so pretty."

"Thank you. I have nothing to do with that being pretty though." He stared at her. "I don't."

"Shh. I'm being romantic and sexy."

"You definitely have sexy down." She grinned and made grabby hands. "Come make me regret interrupting your seduction, Brock." He snorted but leaned down to lick her a few times. "Oh, hey! We don't usually do that!" She wiggled but wasn't trying to get away. He held her hips down and teased her until she was making begging noises. Then he climbed up her and lined up, gently sliding in. "Oh, more of that!"

"That's all I've got, babe. Going to have to enjoy every inch instead of ask for more." He kissed her as he gently rode her back into happiness. She finally came and he let himself relax enough to finish up, making her pant as she pulled him down to cuddle. He rolled them onto their sides, cuddling her while she calmed down. "I say some of the stupidest things during sex," he said in her ear, making her giggle but kiss his throat. "Are you happy?"

"I don't think I could be any happier." She looked up. "Though I could use some water."

"We only had a half-glass of wine and I left it outside." He got up to get her a bottle of cold water, bringing it back to her. "Here you go." He laid back down while she sat up to drink. He took the last few swallows for his own needs and she laid against his side and shoulder again, snuggling in. He smiled. "Should I get up to get things?"

"Are you disappointed?"

"Why would I be upset at something sentimental? Now that I know about obsidian I really identify with that too. Pressure makes other gems. Fire and stress and sudden release makes obsidian." She smiled up at him. "I'd never not appreciate a sentimental one instead of something fancy that I'd be afraid to wear all the time."

"If you can't wear it on missions I understand."

"Good! I figured you couldn't wear mine every day but part of it you can." She stared up at him. He shrugged.

"I thought we agreed on one thing given?"

"I was taught three was traditional and I don't expect more than one." She sighed, staring at him. "That's how guys are taught, Darcy. We give three, you give one, and then on the anniversaries we each give one."

"I... I thought it was supposed to be equal."

"No, I totally expect you to suddenly find something that reminds you of me and present it just at dinner one night sometime." He grinned. "Because I've seen you do that with Jane."

She smiled. "I've found a few of those."

"Uh-huh. So we can do that." He got up with a groan, getting into his pants. He brought the three small boxes over. "Close your eyes." She did and he put the necklace on her first, sliding it over her head and around her neck. The bracelets went on her wrists. She opened her eyes and looked then at him. "That opal had been the centerpiece of a ring that my grandmother bought herself when she was getting into her old and sassy years. Her husband didn't like jewelry so she always bought her own." He touched it. "Like Aria says, it contains rainbows, just like you." She smiled at him. He grinned back. "I know opals are a bit fragile but not totally so and the chain I picked to go with it when I had it mounted is a bit delicate but not too much."

She looked at the chain. "That's not a delicate chain, or a rope chain that'll peel up." He nodded. "That's sweet, Brock." She kissed him. "Would she approve?"

"She considered it just a kitschy piece of jewelry. Wore it around and to church but it wasn't something she considered 'good' jewelry because there wasn't a real stone. To her only diamonds, sapphires, and rubies were *real* stones but this was the one thing I asked to inherit from her."

"That's weird."

"She hated emeralds. She had the coloring to pull them off but she hated them." She smiled at him. She looked at her bracelets then at him. "I saw those when I was getting the other one. The rainbow one is different types of metals. I thought it'd go well with most of what you wear, and it's cute enough to wear whenever you want. The other's a pretty bracelet that you can wear when you want to feel more special."

She hugged him. "I love them. They're beautiful." He sat next to her while she got his necklace, closing his eyes. She got it from her bedside table and went to put it over his head. "Oh, it's stuck. I'm not mate marking instead of consortship." She pulled it off his ears to open and slide around his neck, fumbling with the clasp in the darker room. He helped. She smiled. "Sorry I'm not that smooth."

"It's dark in here. I'm surprised you can see it at all." He smiled, touching the piece of obsidian. It was soft, smoothed by touches, and felt cool against his skin. The chain wouldn't catch on anything. It fit him well. He smiled, kissing her. "That's a good fit. Thank you for sharing this with me."

"Thank you for sharing with me." She snuggled into his chest again, touching her necklace. His hand covered hers. "Do you really want kids?"

"Not this year. Whenever you're ready. I'm not pushy. I'd feel like I'm defiling your uterus anyway." She giggled at that, squeezing him. "I'm jealous. I'm hoarding you and Aria. You're my most precious thing in my hoard." She giggled, but shifted on top of him to kiss him. That made it better and he quit saying awkward, mushy things. He was much more comfortable with his hands on her butt, squeezing her cheeks, and working on getting her to pounce him.

***

Jane looked up as Darcy and Brock came out the next morning, nodding at them and looking at the pouty kid. "She forgot extra books."

"She could draw," Darcy said.

"I forgot my crayons too." She hopped up to come look at her mother's new jewelry. "You're wearing rainbows." She smiled at Brock. "That's pretty."

"It is. That's why I picked that out for her."

"The rainbows infected her bracelet?"

"It's different types of metals," he said, letting her see it.

"That's still pretty." She looked at his neck. "What's that?"

"Obsidian. It has a lot of meaning for your mom." He touched it and let her touch it.

"Why, Mom?"

"Obsidian's a special thing that comes from lava. I'll show you later." She smiled.

"It's still pretty." She kissed Brock on the cheek. "I'm glad you're my new daddy." She bounced back to hug Jane then hugged Loki, making him stare at her. "Do you get to do that to Auntie Jane?"

"We are not dragons, dear. Jane is as fierce as any dragon but she is not one. That's your cultural expression. Us, we just give rings."

"Oooh. Is she getting a ring?"

"She hasn't asked," he said with a smirk. "It's nice you ask for her though."

"Well, when you do, I want to see it to make sure you did good picking her something pretty. I know science may not like jewelry, I asked a bit ago when I noticed she didn't wear any." He nodded. "So it has to be pretty enough to compensate and so science wants her to be beautiful for it." She grinned. "Can I see it before she does to make sure?"

"Not a chance. I'll give it to her in private and she can show you, Aria."

"I guess that's okay." She stared at him. "We have to take Fennel to the special vets this week."

He looked up. "His shoulder?" Darcy nodded. "Do we know why?"

"The x-rays show that his shoulder's not sitting very well. They think they'll have to remove the ball part of the shoulder joint. They do it a lot to dogs and other canines with the same sort of shoulder problem and it seems to solve it without further complication."

"I'll ask one of the animal healers the next time I'm home." She nodded with a smile. He stared at Brock's chest. "Obsidian matches you both. You did good." She grinned at him. "Have fun with them, Aria." She hugged him then bounded over to hug Jane, then ran to get her backpack and go with her parents. He looked at Jane. "Did you want one of those some day?"

"A little girl? Not this year but maybe some year." He grinned, going back to his reading when she went back to her math work. They both heard Thor land. Fennel yelped and ran into the house to get away from him. Aria followed her furry friend with a 'hi, Uncle Thor'. Loki sighed, looking at her. She shrugged back. Thor knocked a minute later. "What?" she called. Thor walked in. "Didn't stop to hug the kid?"

"No, I did hug her and I promised to read to her in a moment." He stared at his ex and his brother. "May I ask when this happened?"

"About six, seven months ago," Jane said. "He showed up to handle something that my last attempt would cause. Heimdall sent him."

Thor nodded, sitting down in Darcy's desk chair. "Then you found yourself together?"

"No, first we found ourselves talking," Jane said. "He accidentally brought the book he was reading and I asked about it because Darcy read it a few years back. I don't remember it really well but she read it to Aria when she was still barely walking."

"So you talked and found yourself suitable." Loki nodded, staring at him. "I do not want her bothered by talking from waspish tongues, Loki. I would never want Jane harmed by any of that."

"They'd talk about me more anyway."

"True, and I hate that as well." He stared at him. "There is enough stress without the wagging of evil tongues." The couple nodded. "Then I'm pleased she's found love and you've found someone that made you remember peace, Loki. I wish you both happiness." He stood up. "Sif is most confused."

"She's really confused because she realized most changers weren't magically converted," Jane said. "She nearly flinched away from Aria after that got brought to her attention."

Thor stared at her. "I can smell the recentness of Darcy's lineage on her. It does not disturb me as she was not the one doing it, but I doubt that dragons would be good for the base of humanity to learn about."

"No, they're not," Jane agreed. "Which is why we hid all that. Sif learned about it and was so horrified she didn't let Aria hug her."

"I'll speak to Sif. She was probably just horrified."

"We thought you would have more problem with that with how you've talked of hunts," Loki said.

"I have more problems with those who desire to consort that way. That is rather..." He grimaced. "It makes my mind cramp painfully at that image."

Loki nodded. "Who one loves is up to them."

"It is," Thor agreed. "And I would not harm them. I know Darcy guards that secret. The problem the other day?"

"Her father," Jane said. "He tried to get to Aria because he heard she was favored."

"Hmm. Pity he tried that. Is he still around?"

"Nope." Jane grinned. "He tried Brock."

"I like how protective he is of them." He nodded. "I'll speak to Sif later." He hugged Jane. "I wish you much happiness, Jane. I know I was not what you needed to date as I don't deal with science or those sort of problems. I hope he is good for your life." He nodded at Loki. "Shall I tell others?"

"And have her attacked by them?"

"I will make it known that I approve, brother." He shook his hand. Then he left to go read to the daughter of the house. Aria was a bit pouty but she was still young and girls did that as far as he knew.

Loki looked at Jane. "That went more peacefully than I thought it would."

"Sometimes he does surprise you." She smiled at him. "I'm going to try to redo the bridge tonight."

"I look forward to it, dear." She got up to calibrate her newest machines. She had to rebuild a few of them.

***

Brock walked Darcy into his mother's that afternoon. His mother squealed, coming to hug them all. "Ma, quit fussing," he said with a grin. "We had to bring Fennel. Jane's doing stuff with a machine."

"I don't mind your puppy and the idiot is at home," she told Aria, taking her to cuddle. She walked off talking to her.

Brock sat down with Darcy next to him, Fennel following his little girl. His mother would come back soon. When she did, she stared at his chest. He grinned. "Ma?"

"She has good taste. That color of obsidian is pretty on you. I looked it up after you mentioned it and it does fit you very well." She kissed him on the forehead then hugged Darcy. "You did good, sweetheart." She smiled. "That opal looks adorable too." She tweaked Darcy's ear, handing back the kid. "You two sit. A few of the aunts are coming over soon for a card game." She went back to fussing at things. Then came out with stuff to eat and drink for them. The aunts got there and stared at Brock and Darcy. "They bonded this weekend." She beamed. "Darcy had a totally sentimental moment and gifted my son with her favorite stone, one that means a lot to her and does speak to what Brock's done." They came to congratulate them, smiling at Darcy's opal.

"No gold?" one aunt asked.

Darcy shook her head. "I'd never wear it anywhere. I don't do fancy things and I'm not really into really fancy stuff."

"Awww. He did excellent matching his gifts to your lifestyle, dear." She smiled at Aria. "And I've seen you, little one." Aria grinned and waved, leaning against Fennel to eat the sausage bites her grandmother had given her. "That's very big dog."

"This is Fennel," she said with a grin. "He came from Asgard from Lady Sif."

"Awww, that's sweet." She looked at Darcy, who nodded. "She did?"

"Yeah. I know Thor and Lady Sif both. I tazed Thor once actually but he was acting like a total d-bag and drunk after Jane hit him with a car." She grinned. "She's known Thor since he showed up to too."

"Oh, my." She smiled. "How are they doing?"

"Thor's still at the tower. His ex, who I work for, has moved on and he wished them well. He's asked a healer to look at Fennel's sore shoulder. He loves to read to Aria." She grinned. "Thor's a pretty chill guy most of the time."

"That's good. I never considered him being that normal."

"That can depend on the day," she admitted. "Some days...." Brock snickered but nodded. The aunt smiled and went in to gossip with the others and play cards. She looked up at Brock. "Think they've managed it or should we call to make sure the house is still standing?"

He looked at the surveillance camera he had logged into. "There's a glow but the house is fine. So is the special tree." He let her see. The glow got brighter. And then snapped. They had to wait while the camera unwhited then saw the house was mostly still there but everything on it was bleached.
"She had better not have destroyed the attic work areas. I was going to auction some of those off since no one wanted it." She called. Jane went up to look and took pictures for her. A few things had bleached but not a lot. She sighed. One of her own pieces had bleached. Jane went to see if she could fix that.

Aria looked over. "Did Auntie Jane goof?"

"Tiny bit," Darcy admitted. "Everything's a bit more pale than it should be."

"We can check everything else later," Brock promised. "Maybe it looks worse than it is."

"It'd better since that's right over my closet," Darcy said dryly. "I don't look good in white and I doubt you want to wear white to work."

"No, not really. It's hard to sneak up on someone evil in white clothes."

"This is some PBS plot of a kid's show," Darcy sighed. "She stole all the colors and we have to get them back. I almost feel like Dora is going to show up with her backpack and encourage us to go on the quest with her."

"I remember Carmen Sandiago." She laughed but nodded. "Hopefully Jane will put back the colors before I have to fill out a report about why I need to completely rekit my tactical gear. I can see that brain seizure from SHIELD." He looked at her, then sniffed. He looked at the patch on her arm then at her in a pointed way.

"Needing a new one but next week is another treatment week." She shrugged. "So I'll have a lower dose for a few days then off it for a week."

"I remember the last time. You cried at the carrots." She sighed but nodded. "But we'll handle it." His mother stared at him. "She has some arthritis in her knees, Ma. She's got a bone density treatment this week."

"The day after we get back from the specialty vet," Darcy said.

"That blows," Aria said. "Two days out of school?"

Darcy looked at her. "Nope and nope. You're not going to the vet's if I can help it. You'll cry all over him." She sighed but nodded. "And you can go to school while I'm on the IV all day, Aria."

"Yes, Mom." She sighed, looking at Brock, who nodded he agreed. "Darn it."

"Yup. Yay." She grinned. "You need school time."

"I know. It's nice to play during recess too." She snuggled into her poor friend's good shoulder, getting cuddly so she could nap on him. "It's been a long day."

"It was a long drive. You can nap," Brock said quietly. Aria nodded and napped. He looked at Darcy. "You made the neatest kid ever." She grinned at him. "We'll have to let Jane warp the later ones too." She poked him on the arm but snuggled into his side again. The aunts had told the others in the family so they'd all show up eventually by dinner to formally adopt Darcy into the family.

***

Brock walked into work on Monday, wearing all white. He saw the looks. "Foster's newest machine bleached the entire closet." They all groaned. "We felt like we should go on a kid's show quest for the colors." He went to the people they got gear from. They stared at him and he held up his vest. "Foster's newest machine leached all the color out of everything in the closet."

They groaned but took his vest to check over then get him a new one. Tactical uniforms were black or dark gray for a reason.

Jack strolled past him. "Going angelic?"

"Of course I am," he said dryly. "Darcy says I am because I bring her coffee." Jack stared at his throat. "Obsidian." He touched it. "It's sentimental to her."

"Suits you," he said with a nod. "Suits you very well." He walked off grinning. "Foster said she's undoing it later."

"I'd hope so. Does Darcy know?"

"She called. She had to move a lot of stuff out of the house for a few hours so it was away from the color eating light."

"I hope she manages it. I don't look as good in white. I feel like I'm in a disco movie." Jack snickered as he left him alone. The requisitions staff stared at him. "I do. All I need are some gold chains."

They just nodded. They'd hear the gossip about him suddenly wearing jewelry later.

Hill met him near his desk, staring at him. "Why?"

"Foster."

"That figures."

"The whole closet, Hill." She just shook her head. He grinned. "Quit staring at it."

"It's pretty."

"Obsidian. It has great meaning to her."

She looked that up and nodded. "I can see why." She stared at him. "How did your ceremony go?"

"We went with the wine version of the tea one. Went pretty good."

"She cook?" she taunted.

"You bet." He grinned. "Including these little almond bites with berries."

She sighed. "I had a cousin who said one of her mates wanted those and she had no idea how to make them." She walked off. "Congratulations. You're missing paperwork."

"She's already on my HR forms."

"Not that sort, Rumlow. The sort that comes with a report."

"Oh, that sort. Check your email." He went in there, finding Natasha waiting. He stared at her. "Foster bleached the whole closet."

She grinned. "I've heard from her." She stared at the necklace, nodding. "Obsidian is a good stone for you both and comes in many colors." She stared up at him. "What did she make? She was stressing over something last week but I do not cook so couldn't help."

"Probably over the venison tartare." Natasha nearly drooled at that. He grinned. "I'm pretty sure we don't have leftovers. We grilled the rest of the beef the next day for an asian salad with the last of the pork belly bites roasted in plum sauce."

"Asian or southern?" she asked.

"Asian." He grinned. "So damn good. Slow braised in it then roasted afterward to make it crispy." She sighed but nodded. "And little almond bites with berries. They're traditional in some areas."

She sighed but nodded. "I need to talk Darcy into making me cookies again." She walked off happier with that. Darcy was an excellent baker so it had been good she had showed off.

Brock sat at his desk with a grin. Yeah, this was a good thing. Especially since Darcy texted to say Jane had fixed the coloring problem she had. So his clothes were black again. "Yeah, that'll be good for us."

***

Brock made it home two days later, shaking his head because traffic had been a nasty bitch tonight. He saw the unknown car and considered it. Rental car, local airport bumper sticker to identify it. He hoped it wasn't one of her worthless in-laws trying something but maybe it was Elaine since she was at college. He grabbed his work bag and headed inside, hugging the little girl that ran into him. "Watch where you're going," he reminded her. She grinned at him and ran into the kitchen. He looked at Fennel, who seemed to shrug. "Okay. Good boy, Fennel." He petted him, going in there. "Any good news?"

"Fennel's shoulder surgery can be done easily and quickly. He can recover at home once he's better. The animal healer tried to say that they could *replace* him and I told her off for breaking Aria's heart if they tried. She didn't understand that kids get attached, even if they're injured. She showed up when we were at the vet's so they talked and he agreed with me, there's no reason to make him be *replaced*."

She stared at him. "The healer thought it was kinder so I kindly reminded her that she was there to help protect a little girl who adored his very shedding self enough to not like people he didn't like the scent of. She huffed but agreed fixing it wouldn't be a problem and that sort of fix was unheard of to them but she decided it wouldn't lead to later problems and Fennel's already fixed so he can't pass that on."

Brock sighed, staring at her. "We all good? Is there going to be a diplomatic bite back for that?"

"Sif tried that." She smirked a tiny bit. "And Thor yelled at her. So she's stopped." She lifted her chin, taking a kiss then grinned at him. "I know you've seen my mother before."

"I have," he agreed, nodding at her. He kissed Darcy again. "So Fennel goes in when?"

"Two weeks. They gave him a steroid shot to help ease it." She smiled. "So he's mostly back to happy puppy mode. Though the vet said he was probably a bit chunky. Even if it is mostly muscle." She grinned. "He said he couldn't see him having to lose any weight since it's mostly muscle but he gets *way* too many treats. Fennel pouted at him for that so we had to admit he was an Asgardian wolf. That got him scanned better and they were interested in where he came from. I had to admit I didn't know, Sif had gotten him for her. He wrote to Thor to ask particulars."

"That's good." He nodded. "But he'll be okay?"

"He'll be just fine. They'll take off the ball of the shoulder joint and it'll be solved with some minor PT afterward. But he'll be just fine." She leaned into him to kiss him better. "Did you get the new tactical vest today?"

"I did. It's lighter weight but I miss my old one. I knew that one would protect me, I'm having doubts about this one." He got poked on the side so he looked at Aria. "What's up, shorty?"

She giggled. "You don't look like the guys on the videos, Brock." She held up her picture. "The teacher made us draw silly, stupid stuff today. I didn't want to draw flowers, they're icky. I told her they're icky and I didn't really like flowers. She said to do it anyway and so I drew a horse eating flowers. Do I have to go on the field trip to look at flowers?"

"It's important to go on field trips," Darcy reminded her. "That means you get out of classes for a few hours with everyone else to go do stuff outside the school."

"That might be nice but we'll miss recess."

"You get to walk around the park or something this time." Darcy shrugged. "Yup, you gotta go. Sorry. Flowers being icky and all." She grinned.

"I guess I'd miss my friends that day."

Brock looked at the kid picture. "The horse has a really long neck, but it's a good green horse." He handed it back with a grin. "We need to find you some art stuff on PBS so you don't have to cross out stuff like you did on his tail."

She beamed and nodded. "Art's kinda nice."

"We'll look tonight, sweetie."

"Thanks, Mom. Oooh, it's Auntie Jane and Uncle Loki." She opened the back door to stare at them. "Are you going to do more machine stuff that eats colors? I'm doing some art stuff tonight."

Jane hugged her. "Not tonight. We came to ask about Fennel's appointment." She came in and nodded at Darcy's mom. "This is Loki." She looked at the puppy coming in to get petted. "You're walking better."

"Steroid shot," Darcy said. She looked at Loki. "The animal healer wanted to *replace* him."

"The crying fit would not end," he said dryly. "But some people do not differentiate between your animal and an animal I suppose. Weird for a healer."

"Sif?" Jane asked quietly.

Darcy shrugged. "Maybe. She and Thor had a talk because there was a diplomat. They quit after a few minutes." She shrugged. "It happens I guess. Anyone can be a bigot and you just never know."

"I guess," Jane agreed. She looked at the picture Brock was helping Aria fuss at. "Is that a camel?"

"It's a horse," she sighed, staring at her aunt. "Eating the yucky flowers my teacher wanted us to draw because we're going to see some tomorrow."

"Field trips can be cool. It means not being in class for a few hours." Jane ruffled her hair. "Make the belly smaller. It's gently round, not hippo round." She pulled up a picture on the nearby tablet. "See?" She let the girl trace her finger over it then draw it.

"I used to do my first one by tracing over the book," Brock told her. "That's how you learn." He ruffled Aria's hair then looked at Loki. "Someone claiming to be your aunt showed up earlier to nag Thor loudly in the entry of the building. Thor just huffed and walked off shaking his head as she followed nagging him for another twenty minutes."

"Brunette?" Jane guessed. "Kinda mahogany colored hair?" He nodded. "Euna?" she guessed, looking at her boyfriend, who just nodded and rolled his eyes. "You didn't tell her I was out here, right?"

"She ignored me completely and it took Thor twenty minutes to finally look at her and tell her to quit before he put her on a dragon's back to go fight something. She huffed, fake cried, and then told him she was worried he'd die alone because he was too much a warrior to keep a woman. Called you Jarl."

"She is quite the king," Loki joked, getting smirked at by Jane. "Euna is a nagging punishment on the family lineage." He pulled Jane closer when Fennel came over to get to his bowl. She was in the way.

"Give me a minute, Fennel. I haven't put it down yet," Darcy said. She did that and the wolf nuzzled her leg before eating. She looked at her daughter. "Meatballs."

"Why?" she whined.

"Because I wanted meatballs." She smirked. "You're eating them too."

"But, Mom!"

"Nope! I make one dinner and you eat it or you starve until breakfast." She grinned. "And a lot of times you try to skip breakfast because you want to stay up late."

"Fine," she sighed, helping Brock set the table. She looked at him. "Did your Mommy do that to you?"

"You bet. No one but the cook gets to say what dinner is unless it's something special celebrating something you did." He smirked. "My mother, I couldn't even ask most days. She'd get mad and threaten me with being grounded from playing."

"That's mean of the new grandma."

"That's the way Italian moms are. You're lucky yours isn't old school like most of my aunts are."

She shook her head. "No thanks. They make nice sons but nope." She paused to stare at him. "Are you like that?"

"Not always." He grinned. She sighed but looked at her mother then at him. "We've gotten along this long."

"We have." She hugged him around the waist and finished putting out the silverware for him. She looked at the extra set, letting him put down the plate and move a chair over. She put them there and went to talk to her grandmother. She hadn't gotten to talk to her in months. "Are you still being a butthole about Mom?" she asked, staring at her.

Darcy cleared her throat. "Manners, child of mine."

"Sorry." She stared up at her grandmother, who sighed and shook her head. Aria grinned. "Good!" She pointed. "This is Fennel. He's my best friend." Fennel leaned over to lick her cheek then went back to his dinner.

"He looks like a very good friend, dear." She smiled at her, patting her cheek. "Your mother and I having a fight has nothing to do with you."

"If you're sure. I remember the scary things." She stared at her grandmother, then bounded off. "I'm going to put up my crayons before they break."

"Thank you for that," Brock called, smiling at Darcy. "You did make one hell of a good little girl." She grinned and nodded.

"I think I warped her teaching her manners," Jane said.

Loki looked at her. "All children need some manners but it made her look more adorable. Any in our future would get to learn how to play pranks instead."

"That might help." She snuggled his side. "I can feel Thor." He looked up and sighed but nodded. "I'm wondering if he's coming here or something's going on."

Brock looked at his phone, logging into something. "Battle near here, about two hours away. All Avengers members appearing. Some whacked out scientist who got high from his plant samples and created a three story tall hallucinogenic plant that's trying to eat women."

Loki sighed, shaking his head. "Thor will have fun fighting the massive plant. He can probably tell that story to others."

Darcy pulled up a story to show him, pointing at a section. "A fanfic I read the other day." She grinned at Brock, who smirked back.

Loki read it slowly, then a second time frowning. "Why?" He reread it again. "I...that would be interesting."

"I was thinking the dining hall could use the tension break," Darcy quipped.

Loki handed back the phone, kissing her on the forehead. "Don't tempt me. We have a charming fountain outside the formal dining hall and throne room."

"My first thought when she showed me was the garden pond." He smirked a tiny bit. "Your mom's fish might not like it but..." She grinned at him. "And it's deeper. Or the big, pretty pond outside the other side of the throne room from the garden."

He moaned. "Jane, that's fairly wicked."

She grinned. "That happens when science breaks on me." He kissed her. She grinned back.

Aria looked over. "Are you two going to make babies soon? I could use a baby sister."

"Not right now," Darcy quipped. "And they'd be like cousins to you, not a full sibling."

"Oh. Well, I could use a sibling. Another teacher was saying she could always tell single children. Then she told me I clearly wasn't one so did she hear a big secret you haven't told me yet?" She looked from Brock to her mother.

"Well, probably not," Darcy said. She looked at her consort.

"Your patch did wear out during the flight," he admitted, kissing her with a grin. "Maybe sometime soon." Darcy's mother gave him a horrified look. "Yes, we're both that traditional. She led me on a great chase, twice actually." Darcy looked smug. "After a really good dinner and some wine."

Her mother rubbed her forehead. "So am I going to become a grandmother?"

"According a seer yes," Darcy said. "No idea if that's already a thing or not. My suppressant patch ran out literally during the flight." She shrugged. Brock came over to side hug her, letting her lean into his side. "The seer said you'd have four other grandkids, Mom." She moaned, shaking her head. She looked up at Brock. "There will be space between them."

"Whenever you want, babe. I'll enjoy practicing anytime you let me and when you want to be super spoiled you'll let me know." He kissed her ear. She grinned at him.

"So you two had a flight, landed, and possibly made me a grandmother again?" she sighed.

"No, we did it the traditional way in flight too, Mom. He's just that good at it."

Jane nodded. "We saw you two flying and it was super sexy. I pounced Loki so hard he bounced." Loki smirked at her but almost rolled his eyes. She grinned back. "We have to replace the pillow you ripped while I was teasing you."

"You had sex with my granddaughter nearby?" she demanded.

"She was asleep in another room. Not like she was on the other half of the bed," Loki said.

"You know, there's a lot of cultures that have a whole family shared bed and they manage to have more kids," Darcy said. "But Aria does have her own room at each place so she can nap safely there. She had Fennel laying on top of her most likely. They sleep like that all the time."

"He'd crush her."

"No he doesn't," Aria complained. "Now and then I get a mouthful of fur, especially in the tree, but we cuddle every night, Grandma. Best friends always cuddle." She looked out front at a thump. "It's Lady Sif, Mom."

"Go ahead and tell her to come up."

Aria went to do that, staring at her 'auntie'. "Hi, Lady Sif." She grinned. "My grandma's here too. We can set another place at the table if you want."

"No, Aria. I came to get Fennel to bring him to the animal healer."

"Mom said no. They talked earlier."

Sif stared at her. "It will keep him hurt."

"They have a surgery to fix that. He gets it in two weeks."

Sif blinked at him. "We can probably do so faster."

"Nope. The animal healer lady wanted to take my Fennel and give me a fake Fennel to treat like him. You're not taking my best friend. You wouldn't want them to take Uncle Hogun and replace him with another one, right?"

"No I would not. Is your mother busy?"

"Nagging Grandma." She looked but Brock came out with Darcy to talk to her. She went to check Fennel to make sure he was still hers.

Loki looked at the wolf. "If you prove your lineage they'll try to remove you," he warned quietly. Fennel barked and trotted out there to stare at her. Loki sighed, looking at Jane. Who nodded him to go help. He walked out there. Sif gave him a horrified look and grabbed her sword.

Darcy stopped her from pulling it. "He and Jane are dating, Sif. Thor's very happy for them." She stared at her. "And we don't believe in switching pets until our favored friend is passed on from life." She stared at her. "Fennel's getting a good bit of healing in about two weeks. They gave his shoulder a shot today to ease it. And I'd hate to have the kid see you pull that sword and me have to defend my nest."

Sif backed away from her. "You threaten me?"

"Only if you pull a sword near my family. And that family does include Jane." She stared at her. "Loki has healed from all the shit he had to go through when he was tortured. He's not the guy who invaded New York. He makes Jane happy in a way Thor never did. So leave the sword alone." Sif relaxed her hand on it. "Thank you for not escalating this." She looked at Fennel then at her. "The vet was most pleased with him today. Said he was well mannered, could use fewer treats, and he was a good boy to love Aria that way. She'd never accept another friend while she was worried about him living."

"We can replace...."

"You don't replace a pet that has a medical problem. The same as you don't replace a child that has one." Sif slumped but nodded. "Fennel is a valued member of this nest pack. Even if he and Aria weren't the best of friends. I'd never let him be replaced by some other furry friend. And she'd cry forever and quit trusting people." She stared at her. "I know you don't like to see children cry."

"No, I don't," she admitted. "Are we sure they can heal him? The healer said they would have to mutilate him."

"They... you know how shoulder joints are balls and sockets, right?" she asked, making the fist and cupped hand picture to show her. "Shoulders look like this. Only his cup side isn't deep enough. What they do is take off the ball part," she said, letting go of her fist. "That means it won't dislocate and he won't have any more problems with it. They'll move the muscles to make sure it's still strong enough and all that." She put her hands down. "They do this to thousands of animals a year who have this sort of problem from a birth defect or an injury."

"How did he gain that?"

"Birth defect," Loki said casually. "It's been that way since he was a young puppy. It does actually run in his family." She stared at him. He stared back. "I know of his lineage, Sif."

Thor landed and stared at them. "Sif. Brother. Darcy." He hugged her then Aria, then Jane. He stared at Fennel, who blinked up at him. "You are quite the guardian, Fennel." He petted him with a grin. "The animal healer was most enthusiastic that you were so good to the baby. And she learned a lot about human medicine today." He petted him again. "Go guard the baby." Fennel ran to do that. He looked at Sif. "She has attached herself to the furry one completely as a sibling. You would not remove and replace a child born with a birth defect, would you?"

"No," she said, grimacing. "Though..."

He held up a hand. "It is not anyone's fault how they were born. They do not decide that. They do not pick their lineage. They do not pick their ancestors. Or else you would not have aunts who want you to be girlish and I wouldn't have had Odin." She slumped but nodded. "They are the same as they were, only you've changed. And if you harm that little girl you will regret it for years as that would cause war with my house." She nodded, taking a step back. "Good." He smiled at her. "We could use your help if you wanted to defeat the mind clouding plant. Some scientist had wrong minded ideas. Fire has not worked yet."

"I do manage to kill plants very easily," she said. She looked at Darcy, seeing the overprotective mother she was, and realized she had set it off herself. "Aria, come give me a hug?" She ran over to do that. "You will tell me how Fennel's surgery goes," she ordered, smiling at her. "You be well, Darcy?"

"Of course, Sif. Have you met my consort yet? This is Commander Rumlow, of SHIELD."

She stared at him then nodded. "A good warrior to help you when you must battle. It is all a woman could want to protect her nests." She smiled at her. "Thank you for the indulgence."

Darcy grinned. "You can come visit Fennel and Aria whenever you want. Though she's in school now so gone half the day during the week."

"I'll stop in soon." She left with Thor. Maybe she was wrong minded. She would have to think on that.

Darcy nearly fell down in relief. "Oh, thank all the Gods." Brock caught her and carried her back inside.

Jane looked at Loki. "Is he off the myth of Fenris?"

"Well, yes." He smirked at the wolf, who trotted inside after his little girl. "He is."

"Would that cause problems if they knew?"

"Sif hates Fenris."

"Ah."

"But I know he would not harm the little girl in there. We'll have to get any future children their own guardian." He walked her off, making plans to fix things. Jane's chaos was so sweet at times.

Darcy's mother stared at her. "I thought you were more diplomatic, dear."

"I am, Mom. I haven't yelled at you yet for going along with those assholes who tried to have me mated to a murderer against my will."

She cleared her throat. "I had no idea he was that way. It was thought it'd give you a way to have an easier time for a while and to calm down so you could lead our council some day."

Darcy stared at him. "Fuck no I don't want to do that. Do I look like Russie?" Her mother slumped. "I'll help them rebuild so they're better for all of us, including those who don't want to join. The reality between what they should have been and what they became is way too vast. And I don't want political power. I'd hate to be in the limelight that way."

"I suppose I can see that." She stared at her daughter. "I've thought for years that I'd hate being an empty nester."

"Then give me a sister," Darcy quipped with a smirk. "You were complaining about the birth rate the other day. Put your money where the mouth is, Mom."

She shuddered. "I'm too old for that."

"You're barely forty-eight and you can fly for another five years probably." Her mother walked off shaking her head to talk to her granddaughter. She looked at Brock, who was smirking at her. "I'd suggest noise later but I think we'll be up for other reasons."

"Probably." He cuddled her but helped her with dinner. They could stop her mother's plans later to get something that was hidden around the family heirlooms later. They were up late most nights anyway.

The End!