Voracity's New Realms
New Realms of Imaginings

Site Info

We are the home of 1 author - Voracity.
There are 202 stories consisting of 485 chapters and 7299256 words.

RSS

Most Recent


Random Story

A New Coven Born. FRAO
A mystically possessed statue brings together 3 who are aching from loss. It...

Other Sites


Skins



To Replace The Lost Ones.

[Reviews - 0]   Author Profile: Voracity2   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:
Your 2023 Holiday story!
To Replace The Lost Ones.










Odin's advisors were worried. He was still grieving. Magic was getting weaker. The world was getting weaker as Odin got weaker. Someone had to take Frigga's place. And maybe they'd give the world an heir that would be worthy like Thor should be without some of his faults. They had no idea how to start that though.

Odin would smite them for even thinking about him remarrying. But someone had to keep the energies Frigga had watched over in check. So they went to look at those who prayed to Frigga on the other eight realms. On Midgard they found 'witches' who had done so. Many powerful. Some pretty and powerful. A few were Odin's type to conquer. Some more worthy of their king than others. A few were scary as well.

***

Thor got news from one of his friends in the palace's staff. He sighed, reading the note a second time. "This is not going to be good," he muttered. He went to talk to Jane. He had explained what she thought of as magic was really just higher level science and energy. So he hadn't been fully truthful. There were realms of energy out there that weren't really scientific. Life energies that weren't regulated by steady rules of science.

He had met a few of those sort who could do such things. A few scared him. A few were motherly. One reminded him of his mother but was feisty and would rip him a new one as his future stepmother. He did not want that. He'd almost rather his father married Loki than a few of the witches he had met, especially that one.

***

A few witches were in a chat room talking about how magic was going a bit weird. One of their not often seen members spoke up that Frigga had been killed on Asgard by the Dark Elves. She had seen it happen before the Convergence in London. They groaned at that knowledge. That explained much. So many had prayed to her, now she was absent so no one had gathered the energies to guide them. No one was there to be their guiding light of ethics with their powers and gifts.

***

Thankfully most witches weren't aware of any of this. They weren't just into Frigga or Freya. They worshiped in multiple pantheons, sometimes all at once. Or the Moon Goddess. Or the Earth Mother. Some even worshiped fairies and elves. They could feel differences but it didn't affect them as much. Just one blank spot among many holes. Many of them felt nothing of the absence. They could move around it or didn't depend on the guidance. Those were the sort that Odin would want to conquer as a new wife.

It would mean everyone lived longer. The seers on Asgard had seen the future being horrifying as Asgard was destroyed by Odin's departure and abandonment. His first daughter showing up to take over and the princes having to take it out mercifully to save the rest. They could not let that happen.

Surely one would want to honor Frigga and save the rest of Asgard by taking her place for Odin? They hoped.

***

A seer went to Heimdall to get his help. "We have Seen a problem." He looked down at her, she only came up to his armpit. "Without Frigga, Odin weakens. Hela comes if we do not replace Frigga to give him new life and energy, someone to hold Asgard together."

"The common people will hate her for that. She'll be taking the place of a beloved queen."

"If we don't, Hela comes."

Heimdall sighed. "I have seen that myself." She nodded. "I do not know but I know that having someone to channel for Frigga would help, even if Odin didn't want her."

"It would help Odin with his grief too."

He nodded once. "Perhaps. He may hate it as well."

"I go to speak of it with him. Let us know if you spot one who is worthy?"

"I've seen many who are worthy and able to channel that. None would want to do it except to save people. None would welcome Odin's touch. None would soothe him as Frigga had."

"We'll have to work on that." She walked off considering the options. She walked into the throne room and sighed, drawing attention. "Leave us," she ordered. "I am here as Head Seer of Frigga's temple!" The room emptied but two guards. She stared at them and pointed. They shook their heads.

"She's no threat to me," Odin said dryly. "Go." They stepped outside the doors. "Why come to me now?"

She walked up to face him from the top of the stairs. "Odin, your strength falters and most of us have seen portents of Hela appearing." He winced. "Also the energies she controlled and channeled are unfettered, causing havoc. Going rogue in many areas, even on other realms. We must fix that somehow. I come to you with a possible idea but it is not a solution anyone wants."

"Why?"

"Because we can create a new channel to hold it. One who would direct it, smooth it, keep you strong as well." She stared at him. "Which would mean you'd have to remarry."

"I will not."

"Then you doom us all, Odin. If she comes, the Seers have all seen the princes taking out Asgard to save the rest of us." He winced at that. "They did their duty to their people and not their realm. It was a mercy killing but it stopped her plans. Without Asgard she had no energy to draw from. Some of us survived."

He slumped but nodded. "We can order subtle evacuations now to solve some of that but we must have someone who can channel those energies, even if Asgard is no more. The Tree itself is fed by it. It's what gives it growth." He winced at that reminder. "We could have done this behind your back but knew that you would fight us on it."

"I will not remarry."

"Then you've got to find a way to bond to someone who can channel that energy to you or give it to a new holder, a stronger one, who would then bond with the channeling one." She stared at him, sitting in Thor's seat. "There's some who can fulfil the duties. They would not want to take her place most likely and we'd never choose one who did, but if it is the fate of Asgard and others, then we must do as we need to do. Our duty is our life."

"Is this just your temple's opinion?"

"No. The ones on Midgard who pray to your former wife have noticed her absence. The energies go out of control. They go rogue. The witches can still use some of it but more are drawn to the dark because they have no light to guide them."

"She really didn't."

"She had ethics and held the powers stable so that ones could use them as needed but if she felt a darkness she shut it off on them." She stared at him. "We can do a search. Heimdall has seen a few who would be worthy. Or you must give up the seat to a stronger heir who can hold Hela off by bonding to Asgard. Which means Thor would not be able to go back to Midgard again. He'd be bound here as you are since you took your vows to fix things your conquering caused. Then his wife would have to be the new channel."

"Thor dates a scientist."

"We know. She is worthy but knows not about the energies." She shrugged. "She's a good wife for him, reminds him he's not a boy any longer. As Frigga reminded you that you're more than a warrior."

Odin grimaced, he had hated that about his wife, all her nagging about his warrior things. Jane Foster did remind him a lot of Frigga in those moods. He looked around then at her. "I will think on it."

"We may not have much time. Heimdall has seen evidence of Hela moving in."

"Can we create the new channel and not bind her to me or anyone?"

"It would help but not be enough. Your grief weakens you to the point where you could die of it." Odin slumped. "We've seen you on Midgard, dying. If you go, then the bonds of yours break and Asgard is no longer safe from her or other threats that may come to avenge their conquering." She stood up.

"You can name a new heir, one who can take the same bonds and hold them strong. If it's Thor then that's fine. We're used to such from him. Loki could do it better and easier because he knows and understands the energies. Thor basically thinks them fairytales." She walked off. "Think fast, we may only have days to avert her showing up on Asgard, Odin."

He grunted, shifted position, and brooded while thinking. This is not news he wanted to hear. Though that potential was why he had taken Loki in as a son. Frigga needed an heir as well as he had his. Loki had done fine until he had found out things that he was not meant to know.

***

Thor looked at his father that night. "You had me summoned back, Father. What is going on? You look ill."

"I am." He sighed, staring at him. "There's seers, true seers, on Asgard, Thor. They came with your mother's people when we married. We inherited them with her temple."

Thor looked confused. "What? Father, I do not understand. I know of seers, Mother told me of thus."

"Did she also tell you that she alone channels some energies?" He stared at his son. "What those on Midgard call magic."

"She told me of how they're really science at some level."

Odin shook his head. "No. Not fully. She knew you could not really touch them, Thor." He sighed. "With her death, they're unguarded and unchanneled. The Seers have seen things that are not good coming. We can sidestep much of it in a few ways. Neither I like the idea of."

"How can I help?"

"Get that seer," he called. She came in a few minutes later and bowed. "His mother told him that the energies were really science at some level."

"At some level they do mold that way but they're a separate stream. As that entertainment showed, the Force is Strong in some and weak in others."

"Lady Darcy showed me that movie," Thor said happily, with a smile for her. "Is this something I can handle?"

"No," she said, shaking her head. He pouted. "You have no touch to feel the energies moving. You can be taught to channel them somewhat, to draw from them, as your father did. You are truly your father's son in this, Thor." She came closer to lay a hand on his arm. Then sighed. She smiled. "One of their sort put a protection on you. It lays next to your mother's. She protected you for someone else but she did like you at least a bit."

He frowned. "What?"

Odin cleared his throat. "So it was not Jane Foster?"

"No," she said, looking at Thor again. "Sit, Thor, I will explain it to you properly. I was your mother's High Priestess at the local temple and one of our main Seers."

"Like we had back when we were conquering?"

She smirked at him. "Yes but some of us were truly gifted. As your mother was. As some of us are. Jane, she could probably touch some of this. It was opened in her."

"The aether," he said, staring at her.

She nodded. "It opened it up to her. She's not strong and she would never study it. It would take her from her science. Sit." He sat and she sat across from him, telling him about the important things his mother had done that he had no idea about. Thor thought at the end then nodded once. "At this time, those energies are weakened. They're rogue. No one channels or guards them. Though, upon looking, Loki has channeled some to protect some of us." Odin sighed loudly. "As his mother would have wanted him to do."

"Yes, that's why he was adopted," he told her.

"We knew. As did Frigga, Odin." She looked at Thor again. "There's two options right now. Odin will heal if a channeling being is found and bound to him again so he can draw upon it to keep Asgard strong. Or you must take his seat before he died, which would break the bond and vow, and have someone to channel it into you."

"Could Jane do that?"

"Not efficiently. Not for long. Some, yes."

"She will be peeved," Thor admitted then sighed. "What if I do not vow to her as my mother did to my father? Accept her as part of my family instead?"

"I'm not sure," she admitted. "It could be enough for now. You're stronger than your father is. The bond and vow would strengthen Asgard again and keep your older sister out for a bit longer. Will it always be enough? No. Probably not."

"Jane is mortal, has the lifespan of Midgardian," he said, slumping as he considered it.

"That can be fixed. If she channels it could lengthen it or shorten it. Both are options. Both have been seen. One even saw her being worthy of your hammer."

"Aye, she can lift her to move her for me from her desk. Sometimes."

The priestess looked at him. "You and your father have days to decide upon this, Thor. One way or another it needs to be solved or else your sister, Death, comes to Asgard and most of us die. We have started evacuations to the other eight realms but that doesn't guarantee our survival. Doing so now would cut out the other prophecy that spoke of her and ending us all, then of her lover trying to end Midgard and other planets."

Thor considered it. "It is the heroic thing to do," he sighed. "I must seek Jane's counseling though. It is a lot to thrust upon her suddenly."

"She could not hold it for long, Thor," she warned. "As a temporary one, yes. As a permanent one, no." She stood up. "You may have five years of her at your side if she channels. Or even less if her health is poor. She seems weak somehow but I'm not sure why. The aether changed her in odd ways." She left them to talk.

Thor looked at his father, who nodded once. "What do you want in this situation, Father?"

"I am old," he admitted. "You would have to win it or I'd have to die and that's not what we need now."

"I can beat you if you wish," Thor offered. "If we must then I must." Thor stood up. "Tomorrow at dawn, Father?"

"If you wish, Thor, but if you lose, then things will go back to that other prophecy."

"Or we'll marry you off." He left, going to talk to Heimdall about finding a way for him to talk to Jane. A hallway he had never noticed opened and he went to look in there as that was odd. It was Loki's hallway. He was aware of it but hadn't seen the inside of it. Or of Loki.

He should talk to him. The priestess said he could help channel that energy and had done so to keep things safe for now. He ran into something that he hadn't heard of outside of stories. He stared at it, touching the Elven artifact. "How did he find that? How do I use it?" he asked, frowning at it.

No words, no inscriptions. He sighed, going to get his brother. "Release him to my care," he ordered as he walked in. "We have need of his counsel about our Mother." The guards glared at him. He knocked one out then got Loki free. "Come talk to me, Loki. We have much to discuss before I go fight our Father in the morning." He hauled Loki up. "Show me how to use that artifact to talk to Jane first."

"Why would you, Thor?"

"We'll talk in your suite." He walked him off that way, taking the cuffs from one of the guards to put on him. He looked at Loki. "I trust you as this is about Mother's things," he said quietly. "I will explain." Loki snorted but let Thor do whatever he wanted for now. They went back to his room. Things lit up and Loki looked stronger. Thor nodded. "The priestess told me about the energies as they called it."

Loki banished the cuffs and flopped on his couch, staring at him. "So why the chat, Thor?"

"They said Father must either marry someone who channels it, immediately, or I must. Tomorrow we do battle so I can take that bond and vow from him."

Loki raised an eyebrow then waved a hand in the air. "All right. I know a few who could."

"She said Jane could slightly. Something in the aether woke it up in her."

Loki nodded. "Yes, it would have to since it didn't dissolve her."

"I can have her temporarily or they can find another." He shifted to sit down. "They said you took some of that over for Mother."

"I had to. It was going to destroy things," he said blandly. "I did not want to die of that."

"If we cannot, Hela comes soon. Quickly. We have days."

Loki grimaced. "I still do not see my point in this."

"I may need your aid in the battle. I need you to find me a way to talk to Jane." He pointed at the artifact mirror. "And perhaps help me find the one who channels."

"There's a test for the last."

"Who put the protection on me? The priestess identified it?"

"Not my skill," he said blandly.

Thor rolled his eyes. "I knew you did not, Loki. Make this work for me please?" He stood up.

Loki came over to activate it with a touch of his hand on the mirror's frame. "Go ahead. Call upon her."

"Jane Foster." The apartment faded into view with Darcy there. "Lady Darcy, I need Jane and privacy."

She blinked at him. "That's cute, Thor. Let me move that to a regular mirror instead of her monitor." She did that and then looked outside. "JANE!" She came down off the roof. Darcy left them alone, going to guard outside the door.

"She did the protection," Loki said. "It glows when she's near you."

"Oh. Really?" Loki nodded. "Huh." Jane was staring oddly at the mirror. "Jane, there are many problems going on right now. I must take over for my father tomorrow, upon our battle." She winced at that, sitting down. "I must find someone who can deal with the energies I told you about. Which you can, but it may make your life shorter. Perhaps a bit longer, no one's sure. And I have no idea what to do right now."

She swallowed. "That's a lot. Why?"

"My mother's death," he sighed, staring at her. "She channeled them apparently. It weakened upon her death and now it weakens Asgard."

She grimaced, considering that. "All right. Do you need me or just someone?"

"If you could hold it, I would not mind as I would be bound to them," he said, staring at her, then slumping some. "But it could make you ill or something. I'm not sure of that. It is not a skill I have."

Loki moved into view. "The aether opened you to such energies, Jane, but it also changed your body some. Using those energies could weaken things further or make them stronger in other ways. It could change you totally into something that you're presently not, including an ethereal being." She groaned, nodding once. "So he's trying to ask you if you wish to try the test for that or not and if not, he may be forced to marry someone who can do it."

"Aye, that's what I was trying to be delicate about," Thor admitted, staring at her image. "I know not what to do," he admitted. "I would wish you at my side, My Jane."

She sighed. "What if I can't do it?"

"I was told I can't just make them as if a sister," Thor admitted. "I have no idea otherwise. But we have days. The priestess said that Heimdall has identified some who could do the duty. I know not who they are."

Jane nodded. "So it's make or break and they're going to make you marry someone," she said.

"To save Asgard's full structure, yes," Loki said. "We're looking at what your mortals wrote as Ragnarok."

"Oh, shit," she muttered. "So we're looking at Asgard dying." Loki nodded. "Can we have privacy?"

"If you wish not to speak to him," Loki said dryly. "I power this artifact."

"Darcy, come power this while in your headphones," she called. Darcy leaned in to stare at her. "Please? Just don't pay attention to it."

"Hell no, I'm hiding like hell from that up there," she said bluntly. "Then again, I don't follow Frigga's path." She smirked at Loki, who stared back. "Go sit. I've got it." She put on her i-Pod and earphones then touched the portal on that side.

Thor blinked a few times as Loki went to the bathroom. "How long has she been able to do that?"

"Probably most of her life? She never told me but I caught her doing a protection in New Mexico against SHIELD agents." She sighed. "Okay, so lay it out for me so I can think, Thor. We can come up with ideas at least." He nodded, telling her the whole situation. She nudged Darcy, who removed an earbud. "The channeling?"

"Has to be a witch of a certain power level at least and of a certain type. I don't channel that type. I channel some other types of energy. Very few are pure channels these days. And most are lesbians." She put in an earbud again.

Jane looked at Thor, who was shaking his head with a sigh. "If I choose to do it for a bit until you can find a good fitting one, would that work?"

"Loki, could she do it temporarily?" Thor asked.

Loki came out of the bathroom damp from his shower and without a shirt on. "Yes. Though it'd be a divorce. Or it'd kill her and the other would take it from her."

"Or it'd move me to a handmaiden," Jane said. "Darcy's making notes for me." Darcy's head bobbed and she finished scribbling. "Oh, that's nice." She let Loki see it, getting a smirk for that. "Can we do that?"

"Yes. The other channel may be a problem."

"What if I hate them personally?" Thor asked.

"Then they're not a good fit and it won't save anyone," Loki said. "If they're all vapid, we'll figure something out. It would give us more time to figure things out."

"I'll have Heimdall get you both up here," he told Jane. Who nodded. Darcy let the portal go so she could pack a backpack for them and get both of them dressed better. Plus set Jane's machines for a rest. Thor tipped his head back. "I hate this," he told his brother. "This is not what I feel I should be doing."

"You can choose to give it up and then force your father into another marriage. Though he'd probably kill her," Loki admitted. "His death would kill her."

Thor stared at him. "He is old."

"He is." Loki pulled on a shirt, staring at him. "So?"

"We must. I battle father at daybreak." He sighed, looking at his hands. Then at him. "Is that workable?"

"Yes. It's strategically sound. It shouldn't damage Jane any as long as she doesn't keep it for long. It gives us months instead of days."

"That's what we need then. What of a second temporary one?"

"Probably not."

"Damn." Thor stood up, looking at him. "Help me with the battle?"

"Does Odin want to win?"

"Of course. It's against his nature to lose a battle."

Loki nodded. "He knows of thus."

"And he's been the anchor of Asgard for so long, it would make him feel weak. It will be a true battle." He looked at the mirror then at him. "What energies does Darcy call upon?"

Loki grinned. "Many. She's not a pure channel. Let us talk to Heimdall then you can rest for a few minutes. Or stretch and call your friends." They went to talk to Heimdall, who agreed to all of that. He had heard them, been paying attention to Jane. Loki stared at him. "Is Darcy a channel that's suitable?"

Heimdall shrugged. "She can channel it but it's not her natural manner. It would widen the channels certainly. Then again she's not a wife. Never been a wife. A lover, but not a true wife."

Loki nodded. "I'm worried it'll look weird if she has to take over for Jane Foster," he said quietly.

"She's not the top one I'd suggest. She would not put up with the court. She would travel muchly to make peace treaties. We'd never war again." Loki snorted, but looked amused. "She could channel it as you do but it is not the best fit."

"If there's a male, Thor may have to put up with buggering and being buggered," he quipped, walking off.

Thor stared at him. "This is not a training hall," he complained. He looked at Heimdall. "Gather them?"

"I have been. I'll gather your two soon. After you battle to make sure you survive."

"If I lose, will Darcy do well with Odin?"

"She'll stab him and take over," Heimdall said dryly, making Thor shake his head with a sigh. "She would not put up with that. At all, Thor. A few are more suitable to channeling to Odin than you as he would put up with them where you won't." Thor nodded. "Go prepare. Odin has. Also he's been drinking."

Thor nodded, going to rest for a few minutes. Loki was in the throne room channeling from his mother's markings on the floors to make sure the palace was safe. Thor had to pull some guards off him. "He is making us all safe. Stop it! He does my Mother's will!" They backed down with a huff but let Loki finish. Then he went to rest.

***

Jane appeared, looking at the people staring at her. "Thor alive?" she asked Heimdall.

"Barely. He did win but he is injured, as we all expected when he challenged his father. Odin made him win it honestly." He nodded at Darcy.

"Not into that," she said. Then she grinned. "I'm Jane's handmaiden, not one for the Mother Goddess."

"True. You have not the wife's skills."

"Oh, I have," she said dryly. "But I'm not that sort." She walked Jane off. "C'mon. Let's go find your dude." Jane nodded, going with her. Darcy ran into someone they knew. "Hogun, Jane's here. Thor called for her."

He flinched, staring at her. "Why now?"

Jane stared at him. "Thor and I talked last night, Hogun. I know about all of it. Including the challenge." He grimaced. "Where is he?" He led them to the hospital wing. "Thank you." She walked in first with Darcy behind her. "Thor." He looked over, smiling slightly. She stood in front of him. Then she sighed. "Are you going to live?"

"For many years, My Jane." He pulled her closer to kiss her. "We must do a few things now."

"I heard last night. Let's get this started so we can figure it out."

He nodded, getting up with a wince and leading her to where the others were.

Darcy stared at a few then at the waiting priestesses. "Wow, you wanted dark chaos people? Interesting." The women stared at her. She stared back. "Hi, Darcy Lewis. Jane's assistant." She shook one hand and the other just stared weakly, mouth open. "Don't even. I don't fit the criteria. At all." They sighed at that. "But is chaos necessary?"

"They can handle it and change over."

"If they want to." She went to get Jane and led her in. "Jane, these are Frigga's former priestesses."

"Dr. Jane Foster," she said, holding out a hand. They shook it and walked her over to look at things. She stared at one of the tiaras on display. They all were simpler tiaras with crystals in them. She was drawn to one, touching it gently. "That's glowing."

Darcy looked then nodded. "That figures," she muttered then nudged a priestess and pointed at one. "It's being sucked on," she said quietly. They looked at that one and banished that magic user. The others were tested against the tiaras. Only those who liked a few certain ones were chosen. The rest were sent home and not able to remember being there. Darcy stayed behind Jane to help her.

The priestess stared at Darcy. "We know you can sense them."

"Yes, I can sense them all. I'm an elemental." They groaned. "With some earth gifts," she admitted. "But also water gifts." She smiled. "They all speak, loudly. And shut up!" The tiaras shut up. "Thank you! You're confusing people. Behave and pick a good one!" They all settled down to go with the choosing. She looked at the priestesses, smiling at them. "I'm not suitable," she pointed out.

"True, but you could do it. It would mean enhancing that part of your gifts."

"I don't have that part of the gifts. I can only do elemental work." She let them test her magic and they moaned at that. "I could destroy Asgard if Thor wants me to, but I can't guard it."

"No, you can't," they agreed. "You can guard Jane Foster, his fiancee."

"Which I do a lot of," Darcy agreed, smiling at them. "And nag her to eat and not science."

They groaned but nodded. Jane was suitable as a short term choice. There was one who was good enough and one who may be a better choice but Thor hated her upon seeing her sneer at him.

Loki leaned in then came over to pat one tiara on the crystal. "Shut up!" It quit. "Thank you! I needed those brains." He looked at Darcy. "What are you?"

"An elemental." She smiled. "I can do some earth, some water, but not this sort."

"You could at one time," he said smoothly. "We looked."

"It was worth losing it to save us at the college," she shot back, staring him down. "So oh well, I wasn't using it anyway."

"Banner?" Jane asked.

"No. After him, Jane." Jane nodded. "The Business building." Jane winced at that. "I gave up that gift that would've made me eligible here to save us all." She looked at Loki, who looked smug. "And with that, I'm now just a simple elemental with water and earth gifts." She splashed Loki with some water she pulled out of thin air. He snorted. "I'm Jane's assistant."

"You are," Loki agreed smoothly.

"Of course, if you did it, you could channel it better than I could. Though it'd mean you'd have to marry Thor." She smirked. The priestesses stared and a few nodded that was true. "And you probably fit better than I do."

"While we're not related," Loki said sarcastically. "It is not what I want of life, Lewis."

She smirked. "Then quit trying to nag me into taking Jane's place. Because if something happens to Thor, you're next in line." Loki went pale. "And would need someone like Sif to even you out."

"Oh, fuck, that's true. That would be a balance. Or someone like some of the senior guards," he said, considering it. Thor sighed loudly at that. "She's right."

"She is," Darcy agreed with a grin. "She can see when things are out of balance. It's why I like to bake." Thor gave her a hug. "Thanks, big guy, but I'm still going to kill you if you harm Jane." She smiled her most sweet smile.

"Yes, you would," he agreed with a nod. "Before I knew how." He walked Jane and the other possible channel out to talk to them. Darcy and Loki didn't follow. He wasn't sure he wanted them to stay together or not. Loki might give Darcy ideas. Or she might warp him. He wasn't sure which. Or if it would be a bad thing.

Jane patted him on the arm. "She'd warp him by making him muffins and stuff, Thor," she told him. She looked at the other one. "Hi, I'm Jane." She held out a hand. "His present girlfriend."

"Tara," she said quietly, shaking her hand. "The Goddess wills but it is not what I want of life. I wouldn't mind being a channel or a priestess, Lord Thor."

He stared at her. "We'll figure that out tonight, Lady Tara."

"Just Tara."

He stared at her. "You have honor up here." She nodded at that, tipping her head up. "So calm down. I would not force things on anyone unless it would save everyone."

"In that case, I would force myself," she admitted.

Thor nodded. "I can see thus. For now, we will discuss this duty." They nodded.

Darcy looked at Loki, who shrugged. Then he sighed. "Well, two decent choices," Darcy decided. "Both have issues. Isn't there an heir to Frigga among her order?" she asked the priestesses.

"That's why we got Tara from her realm," one said. She sighed. "She is a lesbian though."

"Frigga had a few issues of her own that made her more suitable than many but not overly open to it," the high one said, looking at Darcy. "You could undo that."

"I paid the price to save a bunch of us from an idiot who set a building on fire. It was worth it."

She nodded. "I can see that point, Lady Darcy. Are you the Lightening Sister?"

She smiled and nodded. "I am." She waved her taser from her hip. Then put it back. "I totes am."

Loki nodded. "And Jane's nursemaid at times. As her science is more important than many things."

"Well, you guys have observatories too," Darcy said dryly. "She can still work in a corner."

They stared at each other then at Darcy. "What does Jane study?"

"She's the one rebuilding the bridge. Heimdall's bridge." The women looked horrified. Darcy nodded. "Yeah, she's got it rebuilt and all that. It's not fully up yet but it's getting there. She's working on a few other projects in London right now. We were there against the Dark Elves too."

Loki blinked. "Yes, you were."

Darcy looked at him. "I'm Jane's assistant. Where Jane goes, I usually tend to follow unless it's a bathroom."

"Point. She does need it. And guarded. She doesn't pay attention to things outside her science."

Darcy nodded. "Often. She'll forget to eat for days on end if I let her."

"We can help with that," they decided.

"Why not get a child to raise up as a channel?" she said.

"Frigga would not allow it."

"Well, pick now," Darcy quipped. "One who can be raised by Tara maybe?"

They shared another look then nodded, going to find a few. Tara would make an excellent mother to guide a future priestess or three, or six maybe. Darcy sighed, looking at Loki. "Am I crashing in Thor's suite this time?"

"I'd hope not. He snores loudly enough that he'll wake up the whole palace if he has a cold." He led her to a room to rest in for now. The priestesses were on the same hall so she was safer. If not, Darcy had her tazer. And tricks. And probably Loki. Loki went to look at Thor's friends, who all glared.

"There's much you have not heard. Including that it was necessary for him to battle Odin and take over before we all die. Hela comes." Sif laughed. "Not kidding. Go ask Heimdall." She stomped off and came back horrified. She nodded once. Loki nodded. "Odin's weakened with his grief and age. With losing Frigga. What Frigga channeled into Odin to keep him and Asgard safe and strong, it's now gone rogue."

"That's why they were testing those strange tiaras," Sif said.

Loki nodded, looking smug. "I can do some of what Frigga could. I've been doing some of what Frigga had to protect things like the palace from falling on our heads. We have an engineering issue on the dome." He looked at the others. "Thor must be bound somehow with someone who can channel those same energies. It must be a balanced pairing."

"Jane can?" Fandral asked.

"Yes, slightly. The other can as well, and may do it better, but she doesn't like the touch of men." They all slumped. "Jane could probably do it for a few years at the most. So we must find someone who can do that and who would fit with Thor. Within a few years?" They all sighed but nodded.

"Lady Darcy?" Hogun asked. "She talked to them."

"She has different skills, not the ones that are needed. She *could* but she gave up the ability to save others." They sighed at that. "Back in her college days. So as ever, she'll guard Jane Foster."

"So we'll have a wedding," Sif decided.

"Probably somehow. Or at least a vow," Loki agreed. "If Thor falls, there's no one strong enough to hold the throne who could be an anchor to leach the energies back into the plane of Asgard. Which is what Odin did. He anchored the energies that Frigga channeled."

"You're..." Sif started.

"I can channel but I can't anchor it." He gave her a pointed look, making her shudder. "So I'd have to have someone who could be the warlord anchor part, Warlord Sif." She winced at that but nodded once. "If you find one, have the priestesses test them by all means. We may only have a few years of Queen Jane Foster."

"What of the others?"

"They washed out," Loki admitted. "Some for not being the right sort, some for being greedy, some for not being strong enough. The energies are powerful. It's why they were looking elderly since they were thirty." She nodded and so did the guys. "So if we find someone, tell them. I have to go shore up the dome again tonight." He walked off. "Have them not attack me this time or I'll let it out on them."

"Fine," Sif ordered, looking at the staring guards, who sighed but went to guard the prince. She looked at the guys. "Do we know anyone?" she asked. "Jane's good but she'd never put up with being a queen."

They shook their heads. "I would've nominated Darcy," Fandral admitted. "She would do better as a queen. She has tact and diplomacy. Could bear heirs probably. Were any of them even princesses?"

Sif shook her head. "Not that I recognized."

They went to look up the women they knew who could do the duty that was really needed. Some would suit being queen but being the energy channel, perhaps not. One had magic at least. She was summoned and looked over. She had the wrong sort but could talk to them. She was introduced to Thor, and disliked Jane for being his present girlfriend. Disliked Tara for liking girls. Thor glared at her so she piped down. She was a poor choice but at least raised to be a princess.

***

Darcy walked over the guy she had zapped and knocked out, walking into the suite with stuff for Jane, handing her an outfit. "Here, go shower. They're coming to do formal things, ladies." They went to shower. She looked at Thor. "The guard outside with the poisoned knife, he's sweet." She walked off happier.

"Thank thee, Lady Darcy," he quipped with a smirk for her back.

"Someone's gotta protect the Jane." She closed the suite's door. "Make her eat too," she called back through the door.

"Yes, Lady Darcy. Jane, Darcy said to eat something as well."

"I nibbled on some berries but I'll do it once I've washed my hair," she called from the bathroom.

"Thank thee. She's already nagging."

"Of course." Tara giggled at that.

The other one sighed, but prayed to Frigga that all this mess be straightened out. Thor needed a true queen, not a scientist or one who would not bear heirs.

The next test was in the courtyard in the sun. The newest one was shielding her eyes from the glow. Tara and Jane were both fine with it. Then the sound of sword fighting started. Thor huffed, going to see what was going on.

Heimdall walked out shaking his head. "People who think Thor taking over wasn't warranted yet. They're very sorry, ladies." The priestesses were staring at them and sighing. "Are there others you wish me to find?"

"If you could find one that had the gifts of all three," one quipped quietly.

"I tried. I could not find one."

"Pity." They shared a look. They each had issues. Tara was healing a sick tree that Frigga had poisoned by accident with a Thor cooking present. She had buried it to not insult her son's attempt to make her a treat. Jane came to help her with that.

The other one sighed but went to show them how to heal them. Tara had already gotten the tree healthy and growing again. The third one stared at her. Tara shrugged but grinned. "You each have your strengths and issues with what's needed," the priestess told them, coming closer. "As Frigga herself did."

Tara looked at them. "I wouldn't make a good queen," she admitted.

"Yes, we've seen, dear, but you can raise the next one if you wish." She smiled. "Loki and Lady Darcy both suggested that you raise the next channeling priestess?"

"A baby?" she said, looking happy. "Babies are beautiful little chaos sources that mellow into the Goddess' works."

"Yes they are. We're looking at our replacements and we all agreed you should be like a fond mother to them, dear." She smiled and nodded, letting them talk to her about that.

Jane shrugged. "I don't mind kids," she told the other one. "I know Thor needs a few and I can work in a pregnancy or two between conferences and studies to make sure it's healthy and I don't throw up on a measuring device. Or Darcy."

The other one stared at her oddly. "Measuring device? You'll be queen."

"I'll still be doing science. I'm rebuilding the Rainbow Bridge." The woman slumped, staring at her. Jane smiled and nodded. "I actually met Thor when he was banished in front of us and hit him with the car." She sat down with her to tell her how she had met Thor and what had happened back then. They both looked over at the sound of a fireball. "Don't destroy the palace, damn it!" Jane yelled.

"Yes, Queen Jane," Hogun said from the doorway. "We do not plan thus. The others trying things...they may."

"I have something for that in Darcy's bag."

"She just unleashed it."

"No, I have a laser weapon in Darcy's bag, Hogun. Go make her use it." She stood up. "Or let me use it." She went to do that. Darcy had her backpack with her so she got what she wanted and used it on the idiots fighting Thor. Thor flipped back his sweaty hair, staring at her oddly. She grinned and waved. "If you destroy the palace, your mother will come back to nag you." She put them back into Darcy's bag. "Not the egg?"

"No, that's in your bag, Jane. I didn't have room with your clothes."

"Oh. Okay." She went to get her bag and that egg, handing it to Darcy. Darcy tucked it in there and let Jane go back to the garden area to sit and chat some more.

Darcy grinned and wiggled her fingers. "Howdy, people! How're you doing now?" A few fell down. "That's good to know. Next time, try diplomacy and being decent beings who just show up to chat or talk or something. It's much less rude." She walked out there, then stared at something on the roof. "Is that what's bringing down the dome Loki spoke of?" she asked the priestess. "Tara, is that the thingy on the dome that's going to crush it?"

She looked up, shading her eyes, then sighed and nodded. "Yes and I think it came from my reality. It's a dragon thingy. They're dangerous."

Darcy looked at her then shook her head. "Someone get Loki," she called loudly. He was walked out so she pointed up. "That the dome you complained about?"

He looked then huffed. "How did that get here?" he demanded. "Though, yes, it's what's probably trying to take down the dome." He glared at it, hands on his hips. "You're not even from this reality!"

"Oops, probably my bad?" Tara asked quietly.

He looked at her then at it then back at her. "No, I think it was sent to protect you."

"Oh, my ex," she sighed, looking sad. "Oh, no."

"No, that's male energy," one of the priestesses noted.

Darcy gave her a hug then looked at Loki. "Can someone adopt it to give it a good home?"

"I'd hope so," he said, sounding sarcastic but looked a bit freaked out.

Darcy looked at the priestesses. Who agreed it could come rest at the same temple Tara would be serving. Tara called it down and it came to get petted by the one it was meant to protect. It was sweet of it.

Loki went to shore up the dome again and sighed when it stuck. "Well, that fixed that!" He walked off rubbing his forehead. Thor ran into him. "Someone sent a protector to Tara so it was causing the dome to cave in." He walked around him. "I need a shower."

"Have fun," Thor said, looking confused. He went back to the garden and found what he had been talking about. He started to pull up his hammer but Jane's glare made him stop when Darcy added hers. He put the hammer down completely and came to meet the beast. It was nice of someone to protect her that way. Though an odd feeling to that energy. Not a young one by any means.

***

Tara watched the other two get dressed up for dinner, smiling at Jane fussing at the bodice. She came over to help her fix it. "It's particular."

"It's fussy," Jane corrected, smiling at her. "Thanks, Tara."

"Welcome, Jane." The other one was perfectly pressed and had her own formal gown to wear. Jane didn't. At all, even at home. So she was making due with something the maids had found her in Frigga's closet. Jane was comfortable at least. Darcy breezed in, wearing a pretty outfit from her own closet, and sat Jane down to fuss with her hair and help Tara fuss at the dress. Jane swatted at Darcy but she lost. Quickly. Darcy got her hair brushed and put up so it looked nicer.

Jane sighed. "I'd look better if I was busty," she decided, staring at herself.

"Then gain some weight, Jane," Darcy quipped. She looked at the other one. "Your tag's hanging out, sweetie." She tucked it in and adjusted the back of it for her. "There, that's good."

She looked then at her. "You're helping me like you would Jane?"

"Yeah. I'm not petty. If Thor ends up with you, great for Thor! I love the guy like a big brother, most of the time. If you make him happier than Jane, then I'm all for it." She smiled. "It's not a contest that'll change my life. Though I may end up going back to school instead of being up here to help Jane most of the time."

She sat down, staring at her. "Thor said he'd be back soon and then didn't show up for two years." The princess winced. "He showed up for a battle, which agents hustled us out of the way for and kept us from contacting him, and he didn't call Jane even before the battle. Knowing she was there and that if we had heard the news reports, we'd know he was back."

"I didn't hear about that earlier."

Jane shrugged. "There's a lot of weird things between us. Thor doesn't understand a lot of Midgardian things and he's very interested in being a warrior. The two aren't mutually exclusive but he's learned here and there. Some of this and little of that. He's by no means ready to be diplomatic."

The princess sighed but nodded. "I was trained that wives were diplomats, husbands were warriors."

"In ours, both people can be warriors or diplomats or both," Darcy told her. "Jane can slap the living hell out of someone if she wants to or she can nag them for getting in the way of science. She can sometimes be diplomatic if she has to. The same as Sif is a great warrior and has some tact."

The princess nodded. "I can see thus. I've seen him posing after battles before."

"Yeah, that's his 'I have glorious hair," she said, mimicking him tossing it over his shoulder. "And I have been a mighty warrior. That's his public relation persona so no one tried to ask him stuff. They think his hair's the only thing keeping his skull from collapsing so they don't ask him about Asgard or Odin or anything up here."

"He plays Himbo very well," Jane agreed. "Sometimes to your face when you're mad at him too."

The princess giggled. "I've seen that, yes." She looked at Darcy. "Thank you for the kindness."

"I'm not the mean one unless you're attacking us. I'm a people knowing person. I studied political science before I met Jane and I studied people things. I wanted to work with people who needed me." She shrugged but grinned. "Then I met Jane and her science."

The princess nodded. "I can see thus."

"Even if Thor picks me, I know it won't be forever," Jane said quietly. "And if he picks you, that'll mean he has someone there longer. Which is fine with me. I'd even come up to help him when he needed me to. We'll figure it out like the women we are and then Thor will probably pout for some reason." Darcy giggled but nodded at that, pointing at the door. Jane rolled her eyes. "You can come in, Thor. We're all dressed."

He opened the door. "They do not think me simple, Darcy."

"Yes they do, Thor. They think you're just pretty muscles, hair, and the hammer, and nothing else. Because you let them do that." She smirked a bit. "It's like Tony being the playboy to the press but not at home. It's the essence of PR work to fashion a persona that people think they know when they don't."

She got up to stare at him. "What the hell bit you on the shoulder?" She pushed him down to look at it better. "It's infected." He groaned, looking at it. She got Jane's first aid and makeup kit to clean it on him. "Don't move or I'll swat you again." He sat there obediently. "Didn't you do that on purpose with the press?"

"I was mostly just avoiding them and their rudeness," he admitted, staring at her. "I've been in public for years."

She stared at him. "You guys don't have the press problems we do on earth, Thor. Let's be honest here. If you guys had TMZ up here, things would be different."

"Oh, that sort. Yes. We don't want them either." He smirked at her.

"So you played dumb blond warrior so they think you're not the sort who can answer real questions," she said with an evil smirk. "So they ask you things like the underwear question instead of real things like they ask Steve."

"Yes, true. I hadn't thought of that. I still have no idea what they were asking."

"Boxers are what Erik wears when he's running around without pants and not in briefs. The blue things."

"Oh. Well, they look comfortable I suppose but I would not wear either kind. It is not something we do."

She shrugged. "I've seen, Thor. Way too much." He ducked his head but was grinning. "And used tongs to pluck them off Jane's desk once or twice too. I'd probably not do that up here or Jane would stab you next time." She gave him a pointed look then at pat on the good shoulder. "There, all cleaned up."

She put on a bandage then put up the makeup and first aid kit. She looked at Jane's face, doing her makeup for her. Then Tara's. The princess did her own but Darcy corrected something so it looked nicer. That made her gasp at her reflection. "Yeah, the wings highlight your eyes. You can go without wings if you want though. Some people consider them too much."

"My eyes really do stick out well like this." She took the lipstick to apply then looked at herself, nodding. "Well! I need to go to Midgard to learn of this art." She smiled at Thor.

"If you wish," he offered. "Even if we do end up together, I'll be down there now and then to help with bigger battles." He stood up, coming over to kiss them all on the cheek. "You all look very pretty, even in my mother's dress, Jane."

"Not like I have a formal gown at home, Thor. I don't use one."

"True. We can figure it out." He took them with him. "Darcy," he called back.

"Let me finish locking up stuff," she called, doing that then heading out, locking the suite's door on the way. The guard in the hallway gave her an odd look. She grinned. "Never can be too cautious with Jane's stuff." She jogged to catch up. "Here I am. All locked." She handed Tara the key, she was the most likely to leave first when things got too noisy and overwhelming. "Is this like post-battle feast or like formal diplomatic dinner, Thor?"

"Most feast than not, Darcy." He looked at Jane.

"I won't drink that much," she promised. "I know I can outdo many people when science breaks down. That and your ale is stronger."

"You drink ale?" the princess asked, looking confused.

"No, we drink tequila when the science quits working the way it should," Darcy told her. "Jane can outdrink Thor with Midgardian liquor." Thor nodded with a big sigh. "Twice in a week." Thor sighed again but held open the door. Darcy took that over, letting them all go in first. Someone came running over so she stared at them, moving Tara out of the way. "Hi!"

"Miss, the staff is over here." She pointed.

"She's my assistant, not my staff," Jane said. "We're all friends." She smiled and patted her on the hand. "The staff shouldn't have to separate themselves that way either. You're an integral part of this castle's people." The woman blinked at her.

"If you're not serving and don't feel uncomfortable, there's no reason to hide in a corner," the princess agreed. The server looked at her oddly as well. Tara was smiling and blushing some.

"Lady Darcy is the Lightening Sister I spoke of," Thor told her.

"Oh, we heard that story, Prince Thor." She bowed and left them to tell the others. Jane was rather odd to them.

Darcy looked at him. Then shook her head with a sigh but was smiling. "I should zap someone else so they can brag about me, Thor."

"Don't tempt them, Darcy. They could." He looked at her. "Do you have it on you?"

"Of course!" She smirked. "And it's fully charged with extra cartridges and batteries in case I need to switch out."

"Good thinking," Jane admitted. "Just in case there's a threat." She and the other two got led to seats. Darcy sat next to Jane but down by a seat so she didn't look like a member of those three. Jane looked at the food then at Tara, then at the server. "Tara doesn't eat meat," she said quietly. "She's a vegetarian with her vows to respect all life."

"I will get her vegetables and broth," the server said, letting Tara hand him the plate while he fixed that faux pas. He brought her raw foods and broth so she could enjoy things. Darcy looked at something then plucked it off the table to look at in the light. The server gasped, taking it to throw outside. "Sorry, m'ladies," he said, looking scared.

"Bugs crawl in when the doors are open. It happens and they're not that annoying," Jane said. The man relaxed at that.

The princess looked at her. "Is there a way to stop that from happening?"

"Screens would let in air but not allow entrance for most of them," Darcy said. "But it'd look a bit weird probably." She shrugged, sipping her water. Then looked at the glass. "That's not water." She took another sip and put it down.

Jane sniffed the water glass then sighed, nodding. "That's vodka." She put it aside after a sip too. Tara was giggling at that. "Not the first time."

The princess sipped. "That's very strong tasting."

"That's alcohol," Darcy told her. "A fairly strong alcohol. But it mixes well with things." She patted her on the hand. "It'll be okay. Just be careful with it." She nodded, taking another careful sip. She looked at Jane then at Thor. Who was chatting with someone beside the table. Thor finally got done and sat down, letting dinner start once he had eaten his first bite.

Darcy hummed at the taste of the pork then nodded, eating another bite of it but changing it so the seasonings were correct for what it was. They had oversalted and over peppered it greatly. Jane looked down so she did Jane's too, earning a smirk from her. Darcy sipped the wine that had been delivered with the plate. It went well. It almost covered up the pepper taste. Darcy did it for the other two as well. Tara giggled at that, adjusting her own. The princess nodded slightly to say thanks quietly.

Loki was let in and stared at Thor. "Everything is set for tomorrow's honors," he told Thor quietly standing next to him. "It's all safely started and won't hurt anyone. No one's boobytrapped it. We made sure. Sif put guards she trusted on it." Thor smiled and nodded. "I'm going to go rest now. I'm tired from the exertion." Darcy dug out something to hand to him. "What's this?"

"Vitamin drink to give you energy for a few minutes. It helps sometimes when you're that tired and can't sleep because you're too tired."

"Thank thee, Lady Darcy." He walked off but did drink it, making a face. It did ease his exhaustion. Once he laid down he was tired but not so tired that he was stuck thinking. He could actually sleep. It was greatly appreciated.

Darcy looked at Jane, who grinned at that. "Yeah, it's your overworked brain drink." She nodded at that, eating another bite.

Thor looked at her, then shook his head with a smile. "You do fuss greatly, Lady Darcy."

"As I'm supposed to."

"True. Thank thee." He dug in again and went back to chatting with a few diplomats he knew who were seated on his other side.

Jane looked at the ones nearest her, who were staring at her. "You can ask us about ourselves. I know people are curious." That started them talking to them to see about who they were and where they were from.

***

Thor passed the test that Odin had set for his seat, coming out of the combat with bloodlust in his eyes and nearly feral. He looked around. "I have conquered them all!" he shouted, raising his hammer. "It is mine now!" He stomped back to deal with one who was groaning in pain.

Jane shook her head. "Thor, give them mercy," she called, standing up. "They have not truly done you harm! They were sent to test your skills, not to kill you! They do not deserve it back!"

He spun, staring at her. "Jane." He stared at her coolly. "I will do as I must."

"Killing them for testing your skills shows a weakness, not a strength, Thor. Give them the mercy of living for being forced to test you. They did not ask to do that and I do not want to see their deaths."

"Jane," he warned. "You cannot set Lady Darcy on me."

"Why would I need Darcy to hit you for me?" He flinched, staring at her. "Back the hell down, Thor. They were doing their jobs and did it excellently as it took over an hour. If you kill them now, you prove the blood lust runs in you, not the honor that your mother taught you." He huffed and glared at her but raised his hammer. Tara summoned it with Jane and it came flying over to sit in front of their seats.

"Jane!"

"I said no," she ordered. She climbed over the short wall, standing in front of the hammer. "They have done nothing wrong."

"I can take them anyway."

"And I can find a sword to stab your ass." Thor stared at her, looking shocked. "They've done nothing wrong and I will not see them punished for doing the job your father demanded they do. Am I clear that you will not harm them in front of everyone, including *children* for petty entertainment? This is not who you said your people were!"

"I..."

"She is correct," Heimdall said quietly, coming over. "Jane, you risk yourself."

"If he thinks he can beat me to get his hammer, let him try."

The princess shook her head. "I agree, King Thor, it is not just to harm them further for doing their duty to test your skills as a warrior." She stood up. "Jane has much mercy for people. She counsels you wisely in this case. Lady Tara does not want to see it either but you've scared her greatly today."

Thor huffed. "I...." He looked at them then at the warriors still alive. Then at them. "Fine, they will live as they were only doing their jobs. May I have my hammer, Jane?"

"No." She shook her head. "Not until you're not battle high." She turned to move it and it resisted. "Oh, let's just do that. Do you want him to use you right now?" It let her shift it but it was heavier than usual to her. It was clear she struggled to lift it to put in front of Tara. Who petted it gently.

Darcy handed over a cloth so she could clean it. Jane looked at Thor. "You're in bloodlust, Thor. It's scaring the normals." She climbed back to her seat with some help from the princess and Heimdall giving a helping hand to help her brace on.

Thor huffed. "I cannot believe you did that."

"I can," Darcy quipped, staring at him. "They don't deserve your anger for doing their jobs. Is that what a *just* and *honorable* people do?" He glared at her, taking a step toward her. She lit up a hand, waving him on with it. "C'mon. If you're coming, come on, Thor."

"Nay, I will not abuse you that way, Lady Darcy." He took a deep breath. "I am perhaps a bit battle mad still," he admitted. "I will calm myself before I talk to any of you again today." He walked off. He heard Tara sobbing quietly and winced. He had truly scared her. Darcy and Jane got her calmed down while the princess kept others from them. He collapsed on his couch, hand over his face.

His friends came in and Fandral looked at him. "Jane was correct," he said. Thor growled. "Yes, I've seen you in that state before." Thor glared at him. "I have, as have we all, Thor. Is that what you want of this today? To be thought of as this person?"

"No." He sat up. "I do not. I was battle lost."

"Hmm. Which Jane called you on, at great peril," Sif agreed, staring at him. The other two nodded. "Are you all right now?"

"Still upset. I made Tara cry."

"You made some children cry as well," she said. Thor slumped. "I would apologize to them before they all think you're like Odin." He stomped out there to do that and apologize for getting so battle lost, promising he would work on that issue. Sif looked at the others. "Jane is brave."

"Jane is," they agreed with nods.

Loki leaned in. "People are *livid* that Jane could lift the hammer," he said quietly. "They're going to try to take her out. I just stopped a guard talking about it with another one. I've moved the ladies already."

"Shit," Sif muttered, going to handle that. "Guard them. Tara is gentle. Darcy is...Darcy and Jane is brave but stupid to bait him. The other, she has sense. It's weird of a princess." They went to find that problem, which was tied up in a hallway for them.

Loki went back to their suite, letting himself in. Darcy spun to look at him but let him come in further. "Jane, there's some livid that you could lift her at all."

"Not the first time." She looked at him. "It'll be fine."

"I stopped someone who wanted to take you out."

She shrugged. "There's always people like that around any crown as far as I know. It's the threat of someone wanting the power you have."

"If they're that mad, let them go see if they can channel the same stuff," Darcy quipped. "Or explain why Thor has to choose between them. I know you guys like plays. Maybe a romantic play about why Odin chose Frigga?"

"We have one but it's not fully correct. It was said to be romantic and her being a war prize."

"Then have it fixed."

Loki sighed. "There's not enough time."

"There's a play scheduled tomorrow."

"Point." He went to talk to that playwright, and the skalds around him. They agreed they could substitute that play instead while pointing out that Frigga had gifts that made her ideal as the one Odin claimed as a war prize to stop conquering. They hadn't known but it was subtly shown. They could add a few lines here and there to show her gifts being used. A bit of stage effects to light her up. Loki went back to guarding the potential brides with Darcy.

***

Jane looked at the other princess. "If Thor chooses me, I know I won't be here for more than a few years," she said quietly. "I want you to stay here with me, as my lady in waiting or however it's put, so you figure out if Thor can be stood by you. That way if I fall of all this, someone's willing to step in and take his messy hair in hand."

"That would be rather oddly seen, Jane."

"If I fall ill from this, or an assassination attempt, then someone's going to have to take it over suddenly."

"My father would want me to make an advantageous marriage immediately if this falls through for me."

"That's fine but I'd rather have the safety belt."

"Surely you know what you're doing with it."

"I don't study this stuff. The energies I study build the bridge and things, Clarissa. Not change the world that way."

"You haven't studied for years?"

"No. I'm only able to feel it because a cosmic thing opened up that ability before the convergence."

"Oh."

"The priestesses warned me it could mean I only survive for a few years."

"Oh, I see." She blinked, considering that. "I... Well, that would be different. Then Thor should not pick you."

"But if he's not sure about someone else, I'm a good, acceptable stalling tactic."

"Point. I barely know of Thor. Much less about him."

"It's looking like if I fall he'll have to choose you. Or maybe Darcy. Which would mean she'd down him each time he got pissy about stuff."

She giggled. "She does seem very motherly at times."

She nodded. "Very at times. But I bring it on myself by not doing normal things while I'm doing science. I get that and I appreciate her doing that for me. But I doubt I can keep her up here for good with me. It'd mean she'd never get much of a life. Probably not married unless she found a warrior. Or someone with a plot married her to Loki."

"If he can channel then he'd need someone who could anchor it. Darcy's skills aren't the best for that but it would work," she admitted, considering that. "There's still a life imbalance there though." She sat down on the couch, frowning as she thought. "That is rather odd. They are a lot alike."

"Yeah, sometimes. Darcy's seen the dark places they've been. I don't know why. I don't know how. But she's very empathetic with people."

"That could be her gifts."

"Or it could be that she studies people things. Something I do not excel at. Overall you'd be the better choice with him. Especially after earlier. You should spend time with Thor tonight. Just talking to him, getting to know him as himself, not as a prince and warrior."

"True, I should." She nodded. "Thank thee, Jane." She got up to kiss her on the cheek then went to find Thor to talk to him. It was bold of her but it would help her see if she could even stand Thor up close and personal for their very long lives. She found him in the throne room being nagged by someone while Heimdall rolled his eyes. "King Thor, should I find Lady Darcy's device?"

He grinned at her. "Do not tempt me, Princess Clarissa." He looked at the courtier, who huffed off. "Heimdall, do we have news on her?"

"She comes. She felt the pain and the draining of you not fully taking the vows yet. It'll be a smaller one."

"Can Jane's bridge send her off again?" she asked him.

Heimdall looked at her. "I do not know but I will go ask that question. It does go to other realms but we would not want them harmed."

"Or we could do what Loki and I did and break it while she's on it," Thor said dryly.

"True." He went to talk to Jane about that.

Clarissa stepped closer to him. "Jane has suggested that we spend time talking soon so we may know each other as more than a poster on a wall or a portrait shown to us."

"I can agree it should be done. I have no idea what will happen, Clarissa." He came down to stand in front of her. "You do seem pleasant and well educated. Less so than Jane's strong mind but of a more normal level." He smiled. "It would be easier than fighting Jane's science."

"She wants me to stay around for a bit as her lady in waiting. In case she falls so I may step in."

"That is tactically sound and I'm shocked Jane learned tactics somewhere." He led her outside to sit and talk with her. She was a nice young woman. Very pleasant, had a good mind that worked well, was healthy and not simple but wiling to suffer through a royal marriage if she must. She had been taught her duty.

Jane was blowing her mind by being so forceful about things she had learned not to care about. Lady Darcy had others that she cared about that Clarissa herself had never learned to care about. Thor agreed and showed her why. It was strong of them and he agreed that it was something they needed to settle soon. He'd need their help soon after taking the vows the next morning. He had to make a choice soon.

***

Thor looked at the priestesses, who stared back. "Must I decide immediately?"

"No," they said. "You're strong enough to hold the anchor for a few more days or a week," the high priestess agreed. "It is a hard choice."

Thor nodded. "It is. They each have their good and bad points. Including the nagging that Jane can do. Clarissa and I could end up friendly but distant." He stared at them. "Is there a clear choice there?"

"No," they all agreed, sharing looks then at him. "You will pick the best one to fit your needs, Thor. You are not Odin and you don't need the same level of energy into you to calm you down and to stop the conquering urges. Taking the vows ended his spree of going about to conquer and take over."

"What if I'm needed for a battle?"

They shrugged. "It could help here on Asgard," Tara said, coming over with her protective dragon thing friend. "Off Asgard, I can't tell," she admitted. She stared at him. "Both can already channel them. Jane's doing it subconsciously. Clarissa does it by force but it's wearing her out. The only one who channels it without that much effort seems to be Loki."

"I can't marry him," Thor said dryly.

She smiled. "Then name him your heir until you have a child so he can take over if you have to go to a battle and find him an anchor to help him hold it steady. Sometimes the simple solutions are the best."

Thor considered that, looking at the older women, who all shrugged but looked pleased. "Could he handle that?"

"He has," one told him. "When Odin was ill, Loki did pretend to be him and handled things grandly until you showed back up."

"He would need someone to be the other half of that coin," Thor said.

Tara nodded. "There's ones he may be interested in. You should ask him."

"I should," he agreed, then sighed. "Thank thee, Tara."

"I'm willing to give Mom advice, Thor." She smiled at him. "You'll do fine. Probably. If you want to."

He nodded. "I have no true desire to take the throne. It just had to happen to stop the destruction."

She patted him on the bicep. "Then stop the destruction and fix things so it's good for people. That's kinda the jobby job here."

"True, it is." He bowed and went to talk to Loki about that. He had to know how to handle things like battles that he was needed in happening on Midgard. He didn't but he could think ahead.

***

Meanwhile, the ladies were with Heimdall to figure out how to stop Hela the easiest and safest way. They had to keep her on the bridge for a few minutes to let Jane break it again. It'd save countless people. Heimdall knew that she was on her way. They could distract her. They could stall her. Then Jane could break the bridge with her on it.

They didn't like this plan but it was the best one they had.

***

Darcy looked to the right during the play. She was there, she could feel the stalking menace. She nodded at the two princesses and Tara, getting up to go to talk to Hela.

"All that is weakness," Hela told her. "I can do the same thing."

"I doubt that. That's life energy, Hela."

"I can defeat you, you're not even one of us and I've defeated, rended, many worlds," she sneered.

Darcy snorted. "Yay," she said flatly, waving a hand in the air. "Oooh, I can kill people," she mimiced. "Can you bark? Roll over? Do any other tricks? Did you ever learn how to have a battle friend? Or any friend?"

"That's a weakness."

"Not really. Many people depend on them for help." She stared at her. "But you won't get to go near anyone else." Hela raised a hand and Darcy raised hers, burning Hela's hand, making her scream. "I said no. Not tonight you're not."

"I said you're not doing it at all," Tara said, coming over looking glowy.

Hela glared at her. "How dare you!"

Tara sighed. "I've seen worse than you. I've seen ones who did it by accident and then liked it. At least yours was intentional. The Goddess would not appreciate her works being defeated this way, Hela. I say you will not and if I have to make it be so then so be it."

"I can kill you both," she snorted.

Tara shrugged. "Been there, done that. Wasn't so bad last time."

Darcy nodded. "Twice now. Wasn't so bad." Hela stared at them oddly. They smiled at her. "Yeah, sometimes things happen and you survive after they restart you." She shifted how she was standing. "Just go, Hela. Thor takes the vows to protect Asgard tomorrow."

"It's my throne. I'm first born."

"Yeah and the jackholes who created it said only dudes and their sweaty balls in the seat," Darcy shot back. "You don't have the necessary equipment to do that. You have balls but not that sort." Hela tried to attack them and Tara blocked it with a lot of light going on. Hela fought back.

Darcy took a deep breath and launched her own attack back while Tara defended and it was nice. It did drive Hela off for now. She'd be back with friends. Once she was on the bridge, Jane broke it. It shattered, creating a hell of a light storm and a lot of wind. Tara channeled it, going very glowy.

Darcy grabbed her arm to anchor her into the ground. Loki came over to help her. Tara sucked in a deep breath and burst out crying. Her dragon friend cuddled her while Darcy got her free side to hug, looking up at Loki. Some of the glow transferred.

"Go make sure she's really gone," she ordered.

Loki called out to Heimdall to make sure of it. He was already headed to check with Thor stomping beside him.

Jane and Clarissa came rushing over. "Let's get her to the suite," Clarissa said quietly. "A good soak will help her calm herself."

"She's got nature gifts, Clarissa," Loki said. "She's a Daughter of the Goddess."

"Oh!" She blinked a few times. "They're forbidden to fight."

"She didn't, she defended," Darcy said, standing up. "Let's get her to somewhere safer at least. A garden, wherever."

Jane looked at Loki. "That sitting garden Frigga talked to me in?"

"That'll work. It has much magic laying around." He helped Darcy lift Tara and they carried her together to that garden. Tara got calmed down and relaxed finally, falling into a fitful sleep. She called out for her ex-girlfriend but they soothed the nightmares. Jane knew how to do that.

Darcy stood up, looking at him. "You're really helpful."

He raised an eyebrow. "You wish I wasn't?" he asked sarcastically.

"No, but you work in your own best interests."

"Hela is in no one's interests."

"True, but still." She stared at him, almost seeing through him. "You think Thor's going to walk off," she said quietly, moving closer.

He considered lying but nodded finally. "He will. He'll want to go battle. Or he'll need to go help his battle friends on some plane or another." He stared at her. "What of you and Jane?"

"I vowed my protection on Jane way back when."

"Oh." He grimaced. "So you can't leave her."

"Oh, I can. If she's safely handling herself I can."

"Hey!" Jane complained.

"You didn't eat most of yesterday or today, Jane. You've had one meal," Clarissa told her. "I can see why Darcy nags you." Jane rolled her eyes but nodded. She looked at the prince then sighed. "It is in his best interest to see things settled, Darcy."

"Yes but there's an end plan."

"I have what I want."

Darcy smirked at him. "Do you?" She grinned. "Just your freedom from Odin? He's still alive."

"For a while. I can avoid that."

"True." She moved closer, kissing him on the cheek. "Thank thee for the help," she said quietly. He shivered but nodded, letting them recover by themselves. She sat down. "We need to figure out what to tell others."

"What note did you leave the guys?" Jane asked.

"Thor needs Jane for something important. We'll be back sometime soon, Darcy and Jane."

"Oh, that's fine. At least they're warned." She sighed, looking at Tara then at her. "She'll be fine?"

"Probably," Darcy agreed with a nod. A guard came to the doorway. "Tara's resting and healing."

The guard came out to stare at them. "What Frigga did, that energy binding."

"Yes, that's why Thor's gotta have a wife soon," Darcy said dryly, staring at him. "I know it didn't occur to many but it's what kept Odin strong for so long." He groaned. "And if I have to turn you into a crispy critter to protect Jane and the other two, I will."

"Nay," he said, staring at them then at her. "You could."

"I hit a different area. I can channel some of it but not the right way. I'm an elemental." He slumped but nodded. "It'll be fine. Thor will make a good choice. You'll learn to appreciate the new queen." He grimaced as he walked off. She looked at the ladies. "Rest for now. There's no telling if that play will backfire by letting people understand better." They settled in to rest near Tara so she was soothed and safer. Darcy sat up to guard them.

***

Thor walked in the next morning, shaking his head as he walked into the throne room. "Jane truly did destroy Hela and the bridge. It will take ages to heal it this time," he announced. A few moaned at that. He sat down, looking at the people waiting on him. "What?"

"Prince Thor, we must do the vows today," one said quietly.

"Aye, after I've had a shower and a meal please." He nodded, going to start that for him. "How is Tara?" he asked when Jane walked in.

"Safely asleep in the suite, Thor. Being guarded. She'll be fine."

"Good." He sighed, looking her over. "The bridge is truly broken. Worse than we did."

She nodded. "It was a self destruct in case another enemy came for Asgard that way. It can be rebuilt again."

"If you're sure."

"I am." She smiled at him. "It's not that hard. We did it once and it rebuilt within days." She fiddled with the thing in her pocket, letting that start. She nodded as Heimdall came in. "I've restarted the integration."

"Thank thee, Jane. She may still reappear."

"Then we'll be ready for her," she said, handing him the remote. "Just in case." He nodded once then they both looked at Thor. "Tara's resting comfortably. Clarissa's fussing with her hair. I need to go do mine. How long do we have?" she asked, looking around.

"Four hours," someone noted.

"That's enough time to do my hair." She walked off with a sigh.

Thor looked at her back then at Heimdall. "Did I ever understand women?"

"No," Heimdall assured him. "You didn't." Thor rolled his eyes. "We'll do what we must, Thor."

"I know. It's all we can do. Loki?"

"In his suite. He's a bit pouting. Lady Darcy asked him why he was so helpful."

"I am just joyed he has been. I know not to ask why."

"She may not realize what happened to him." He went to make sure Loki realized that. Thor went to bathe, eat something, rest a bit, and make a final choice between Jane and Clarissa. Or maybe he'd write an exemption to have a harem of wives. It'd be easier than choosing. Plus later marriages would be easier handled with the public. He'd make that suggestion then avoid Jane slapping the living hell out of him for it.

***

Darcy showed up on the roof of their apartment building in London, nodding at the staring two guys. Jane's machines must have alerted them that the bridge was coming. She looked a bit freaked out. Very tired. Still in the dress she had worn for the coronation. Erik Selvig looked around when the bridge retrated.

She waved a hand. "Let me go make a statement, guys. I'll tell you all at the same time." She went to the bathroom to make sure she looked less tired. Then she came out to turn on the computer to start the camera and recording feature. She had used it for Jane's experiments.

She got herself something to sip on, sitting down with a sigh, which was caught by the tape. "I am Darcy Lewis, assistant to Dr. Jane Foster. I am here to make a statement for Dr. Foster and King Thor of Asgard." She took a sip. Erik sucked in a gasp. She glanced back then at the camera again.

"Thor had to go overthrow his father to keep Asgard from dying this week. Apparently he had a big sister, who was Odin's former first warlord. Hela. Death. She came to get her rightful title and seat on the throne. Though their throne doesn't allow females so Odin blocked her up somewhere when she got too strong for him to control.

"As many men learned, controlling an angry woman is not possible." She shifted, looking more comfortable. "So Thor had to take the throne from Odin, to take the vows to keep Asgard safe from her. He had to not inherit it but to conquer and take it. Which he did manage to do.

"He won in combat against his father earlier this week. He won the contest of combat Odin demanded against some of their finer warriors." She took another sip of her ice water and put it aside. "He took the vows earlier today to become King Thor. Part of the vows was binding himself to Asgard to protect it and keep it strong.

"Part of it was how energy from Asgard is channeled into him to keep him strong enough to keep all of Asgard safe. Which is one thing Jane is doing. She can, due to the science she's worked with for years, channel that same level of energy. Thor had a few choices of women who could channel it for him.

"One a pure Wicca, one a princess from another place that could do the same duty. One Jane Foster. Of course, Hela tried to interrupt. We thought we had defeated her via the bridge dissolving under her but she managed to hang on and come back somehow during the coronation and vowing. She stomped in and we all stood up to her. Thor...a warrior does not defeat Death by almost dying.

"He had forgotten that death comes for all someday, and challenging it to do so is rather stupid. He's injured but alive. Very injured but alive. The ladies stood up to Hela, using the energies around there to put up a shield between them." She took another drink and put the empty glass down.

"During it, the pure Wicca follower, who believes in life, stood up to her. Pointed out that death is always followed by life. Tara wasn't quite felled, but she's injured. Gravely injured. The healers say she will heal. Jane just tried to hit Hela. She's really good at it too. Hela is a warrior but no one expects a tiny scientist to slap them stupid."

She grinned a bit. "It stopped Hela for a moment while Princess Clarissa protected and guarded Tara, who tried to create a life essence to take care of Hela's death powers. I got her a bit myself to divert her from going after any of the other three.

"I pointed out that death, absolute, final death, is a luxury not many receive. Their energies stay around or linger. Or they're reborn in some peoples. Or they're remembered strongly enough to create a connection. There's always a lingering feeling of them being there. Hela will not linger. She did go to a final, absolute rest.

"The Wicca's works made Hela's gifts change enough to rend her not able to cause death with them but only life. She self-whammied to be honest. Thor, laying injured on the floor, gasped for Jane so she came over to help him. It was very romantic. Princess Clarissa helped them both up so they could be healed with the others who needed it. I walked over a few of them to get the guarded thing and handed it to Thor, who put it on.

"He is now the King of Asgard, and may not be able to get down here very often for battles. Dr. Foster will be back someday, not sure when. Jane's not really diplomatic or interested in social sciences." She smirked a bit. "But she is presently the Queen of Asgard until they break up again or whatever happens.

"As Hela activated a gene in her, it started off a tiny ball of cancer. She's getting treatment up there for it." Erik slumped. She looked back then at the camera again. "She is getting treatment. She should be fine. They assured me of it before I got sent home to protect myself and tell others that she may try to come here. Or others like her."

She pushed her hair back behind her left ear. "For the Avengers team, I have a taped message from Thor and his brother Loki about Hela and her people. That way they're aware. For the scientists, Jane said she'll be back someday soon. Mostly to yell at others who think women shouldn't be in science. Though, her bridge is steady. It got rebuilt overnight this time. Much faster."

She blinked a long blink then sighed. "As for right now, Prince Loki is temping for his brother, who is injured. And grumpy. And a surly ass that nearly got him paddled by Princess Clarissa." She grinned a bit. "I offered to find her a paddle." She shifted in the chair.

"For now, I know those who wanted or needed to know can talk to others about that. I'll hand over information Jane gave me to the proper people. Dr. Measows, that means I have Jane's current paper in my bag. She dictated the rest while making Thor stay in a hospital bed. She told me which notes to hand over with it so it could be peer reviewed.

"Dr. Chalesnar, Dr. Foster will show up to debate you soon enough, and probably yell at you again. Don't worry, she'll be back. She insisted she'll be back. They don't bake chicken the same way and they don't make pasta, she said she'll be back." She smiled a bit.

"King Thor wished all to be safe and healthy and he would come if he could. If he knew he was needed. He may not be able to stay for long with his new vows but he will come if necessary. Jane's newest bridge did have some wifi like capabilities so she can get a phone call sometimes. If Heimdall is really nice to her that day.

"But Heimdall's a great guy and pretty nice most of the time. Jane cracked him up by cracking a dirty joke to ease the tension after the battle." She waved. "If asked I can get something up to Jane if necessary. She may not be able to share it with Thor but she can get messages herself." She yawned.

"Sorry, bridge lag. For now, I'll leave you with the happy tidings of King Thor's new position and aggravation at the throne and Council around him. I wish you all the best and let me know if you need Jane." She ended the recording to look at the other two people. They were both grimacing badly.

She turned back around to make sure it had recorded, tagging in those mentioned in case they needed to hear from more than gossip. Then she sent it to social media sites. She shut down the recording set and turned to look at them again. "There's no science up there for her to fiddle with."

"So Jane's now Queen Jane?" Ian asked.

Darcy nodded. "Yeah, I had to walk over a few bodies that tried to stop it beyond Hela to get the crown to hand to Jane to hand to Thor. Clarissa sniffled and agreed Jane should take it and she'd help her and back her up. If she and Thor made it after that, it was romantic of her." She pushed her hair back again. "It was not a fun trip, guys."

Erik Selvig nodded. "But Jane's okay?"

"Mostly. Bit pissed off. Some people have been trying to overthrow Thor by taking her out. Princess Clarissa made sure that they heard she'd destroy them if they did because she was not sure Thor was a good mate for her or not yet. She'd wait to see how Jane's life with him played out as she'd live longer than Jane would. And yeah, there's an issue there, Erik. Hela did activate something wrong in Jane health wise but the healers are already getting onto it."

"That's good." He blinked at her. "How bad, Darcy?"

She sighed. "Two rushes of people trying to get Thor out of his seat for how Odin had conquered them. One before Hela showed up, and it amused her greatly that they blamed Odin for her doings as she put it, and then one after that. While Thor was injured, Jane was injured and tired, everyone was injured and tired.

"Which was when I walked over a few bodies to get the crown, handed it to Jane, who handed it to Thor, who put it on and took the vows. That gave him the energy to get up and limp over to beat someone to death with the hammer again so it was solved." She grimaced.

"Then he limped off with both princesses guarding him on the way to the healers. The Warriors Three and Sif met them outside, they had been handling the others out there. Jane ordered them all to get med checks. When one more showed up to complain, Jane grabbed the hammer and went after them so they decided they never want to make Jane go there again."

"I've seen her move it," Ian said.

"Yeah, and she did when she had to berate Thor for being battle lost. The hammer didn't let her move it easily that time but she did and it made people furious she could lift Mew-Mew. Then she did it to defend Thor and the others. Clarissa ordered her to calm down, they had more important things to deal with than her being angry at stupid people. Jane got one, huffed back at that reminder, and made Thor keep marching to the healers."

"Fuck," Erik muttered. "So Jane lost her temper?"

"Oh, yeah." She grinned and nodded. "So totally lost her temper. Clarissa was really amused she managed to use the hammer like Thor did. Flying idiot and all."

"Oh, great. So she'll calm down?"

"She will. Heimdall sent me back to make the statement that Thor had bade me make for him to his battle friends and Jane's science friends." She waved a hand at the computer. "So we'll see what happens but it may be six months before Jane gets back, or it could be two years but the priestesses said that Jane's ability to channel would give her about two years before she got sick. So that's a late timeline and if she's too stubborn."

"She would be if Thor needed her," Erik said, considering it. "Well, we can keep getting her readings for her."

Darcy nodded. "I said I'd email them monthly." Erik stared at her. She grinned. "Yeah, the rent's in my name."

"Point." He sighed. "I had forgotten about that." He looked at Ian then at her. "What about her other experiments?"

"Not sure," she admitted. "I know that Jane being exposed to the aether is why she could channel that energy." Erik whined but nodded. "And I know that Loki's sane again. He guarded Jane the whole time for Thor."

"Can't rule a dead world," Ian said quietly.

"Yeah, somewhat. He had actually taken over on Odin once and did it good enough that no one minded." Erik shook his head with a sigh, rubbing his forehead. "But yeah, he's up there. I told Jane I'd warn you."

"Thank you, Darcy. I don't want to face him."

"I know. All that sucks, Erik." He nodded, staring at her. "But Clarissa's a great woman. Amused that I nagged Jane to eat. She's doing some of that too now. Because Jane forgot to eat even without science." Erik laughed, shaking his head. "Yeah. So it'll happen. Jane will be back sometime. Thor could come back sometime and bring her home then leave her here. Not sure."

"Did they see you moving the hammer?" Ian asked.

Darcy smirked at him. "Nope. Didn't try it. They had it and she wasn't in my way this time."

"Wow." Erik stared at her. She shrugged. Then he sighed again. "Okay, so all this with Jane's stuff?"

"Jane's stuff will stay with me. I've got that side job that pays for the rent."

"Point. All right, so she's fine?"

"Probably complaining at Thor about drooling on her hair again."

"Oh, that move. I remember those mornings." He stood up. "Tell me if someone important shows up."

"I can do that." She looked at Ian, who was pouty. "No idea, Ian. Work with Erik for a bit?"

"I can do that I guess," Erik agreed, taking him back to his stuff to work with Ian on it.

Darcy turned at the beep, turning on the video conferencing app. "Yes, Mr. Stark?"

"Foster's on Asgard?"

"Queen Jane is nagging her King Thor plentifully I'm sure. She had been for days this time."

He blinked. "Do we have pictures and things of Hela and others?" She put in the data device to send it over. He scanned it, grimacing. "That's bad. All right, so...."

"Jane's phone number is on the end. It should reach Jane up there. Heimdall wouldn't mind as Thor is already pouting about sitting on the throne and not doing fun things. Clarissa is sighing a lot about him."

"Wow. Okay. Loki's part?"

"Guarded Jane? Actually took over for Odin when he was ill after Frigga died and did a good job for everyone?"

"Really?"

"Yeah." She nodded. "There's an energy that has to be channeled into the throne holder so they can anchor it into Asgard's realm itself. Which is why there's two princesses nagging Thor. Princess Clarissa may become Queen Clarissa someday. The healers and the priestesses said that Jane's going to weaken from that channeling pretty fast. It let Thor have a gap to get to know Clarissa and see if they're compatible. Though she's taken over nagging Jane for me."

"Great." He looked to the side then at her. "Chances of Hela showing up down here?"

"None. She's dead. Dead dead. Finally, irrevocably dead. Will not come back in any manner, including a later rebirth dead."

"That's one less problem."

She sent over another file. "On the visions that made them sidestep to protect Asgard and Midgard."

He read them and went pale, staring at the picture again. "Oh, hell."

She nodded. "So he bit the bullet, did the hard thing to take over, so that Hela couldn't bring herself there to destroy Asgard and we have no idea about her boyfriend coming. Separate entities and he knows we're here. Prep. Now," she warned. "If he can snap, he'll end half of everything and everyone." She stared at him. "Literally."

"Yeah, we can go over that." He cleared his throat. "If he does show up?"

"Do what you can I guess. I'm not a hero, Stark. I can only pass on info. I'm a diplomatic sort."

"Good point. I can work on that."

"Get some help with it?" she offered. "The hammer thinks that you're not getting advisors. She complained to Jane that you're not letting people help you because you know they're not working on your level. She and Jane had a talk about it last night with Priestess Tara."

"The hammer?" he asked.

She grinned and nodded. "She's been around and seen some shit, Mr. Stark. Including Thor using her to woo girls into bed. Mew-Mew teased Princess Clarissa about that and she blushed and refused, stating she liked bigger and stronger that would cuddle properly. Plus princesses didn't just hit it and forget it. The hammer understood and let Tara pet her handle for a bit to clean her up."

Stark cleared his throat. "I'll take that under advisement," he decided. "Including other things that may matter. Thanks, Lewis. Are you free to nag other scientists?"

"Probably for a bit. I've got all of Jane's stuff to pull readings off for her."

He nodded. "I get that. She'd want it. I'll see if I know a scientist who could use a lab mother." He hung up, going to tell the others.

Darcy went to lay on the couch, finally resting. Resting on Asgard was always difficult. When she had to go back up, she needed to remember to bring ear plugs and an eye shield. And something to read.

The End.