Voracity's New Realms
New Realms of Imaginings

Site Info

We are the home of 1 author - Voracity.
There are 202 stories consisting of 485 chapters and 7299256 words.

RSS

Most Recent


Random Story

Same Old Dance, Different Venue. FRT
The battle finally happens and things aren't all rosy but things happen as they...

Other Sites


Skins



From Ancient Times Past Comes News.

[Reviews - 0]   Author Profile: Voracity2   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story notes:
The birthday story.
From Ancient Times Past Comes News.





It was the cusp of turning from 146 to 145 BC when the various priestesses gathered for their every century meeting. Their goddesses were absolute, every culture had some version of them. These were their handmaidens. The ones who served the Goddesses.

Life/family.

The Moon.

The Sun.

The Stars.

The Earth.

Death.

Magic.

They had traveled to Ventotene, Italy to go to the rock shaped like a mushroom, which was a particularly odd religious symbol to most of their Goddesses as they were immortal, always living even in the worst places and times. They survived droughts, they survived floods. They could be beautiful and yet poisonous. They were tasty and life giving. They were an absolute like the sea was to most of them.

The night of their meeting they traveled by boats to Fungo, going to meet at the base of the cliffs. None of them really cared to climb the mushroom shaped cliffs tonight. They were all dressed simply, as all handmaidens were. Simple chiton. Simple jewelry of armbands and something in their hair. Death's had something in her ear that was metallic but the others just admired it. She had learned that from Egyptian priestesses.

The Celestial handmaiden cleared her throat. "Sisters, we meet for our century meeting," she said, her words translated to them by their shared language their Goddesses had shared with them. They all nodded. "Things are moving quickly in the world. Including a new religion.

"Many of us have our goddesses worrying about it as they don't have any goddesses in it and do not respect any of our areas outside Death." That handmaiden nodded that was true. "How do we keep our mistresses safe and healthy among all this going on?"

"The new way is not any better to women than the old ways were," Life/Family's handmaiden said quietly, staring around then at her. "It's the same foibles that women are simply property to be used. That we're no better than farm implements. Which we know not to be true. This new one is spreading fast. They will fight to push out all of ours. They will fight to be the only one." She looked around again. "We must find a way to safeguard our Goddesses."

The others nodded. "There's a few options," the handmaiden of Death admitted. "We could make sure that there's ones to follow us. Smaller sects of priestesses hidden to move up to handmaiden status when we pass." That got a nod. "Or we must ask our goddesses forgiveness to join them permanently to take care of them. Already half of the orders I lean on are gone in this area of the world. Rome will fall to them as well eventually. They bring war to make sure they're the only ones."

The handmaiden for magic shook her head. "My Goddesses' people are all hiding already. They do not like or appreciate us. She has no idea what to do. Unless we out things that we know that they do not. It would make things twist at least. Give some of the Goddesses some safety."

Death stared at her. "Out them how?"

"The ones who can use it? The ones who can change? So many have been flattered by the Romans who want their gold and women that it's changing their whole culture for the worst. What was once matrilineal is now fading to men being in charge like the rest of the humans."

The Celestial handmaiden nodded at that. "It's an idea that could help. The normals knowing they're not all together powerful would ruin a great many of their wars though. Those who can use your Goddess' gifts could end up in danger."

She nodded. "I know but it's better than it coming out when that new way is stronger. Able to take them all out. Doing so now would mean that they had to integrate them as well."

"Point," she agreed with a nod. She considered it then looked at the Sun's handmaiden. "What of yours?"

"Those do not give my Goddess their thanks for making crops flourish and their lives. I personally wish them to begone. My Goddess just sighs and says that sometimes progress means that things change too far then have to change back."

"So she thinks they'll take up the old ways eventually?"

"Or integrate them and absorb them," she agreed with a slight nod and a slight smile. "She sees more than I ever could but she is sure that people will come back to our Goddesses. I asked her about that and she said she was sure they'd return someday. They might have to rest for years to prepare for that though."

"Mine's not certain," the Moon's handmaiden admitted quietly. "She thinks that the sleep will not get to end."

"Whatever we do, mine will get some more acolytes," Death's handmaiden admitted. "As it always happens. Even if we do nothing, Rome is a warrior culture, full of anger and hatred. They torture without regard for anything. The same as they take over for no reason."

The discussion about how to guard their Goddesses lasted until nearly morning. They had chosen this day to meet on purpose. It was the last dark of the moon and the date of a celestial convergence of planets. At dawn, the power would be the highest and they could do something to help. Even if their Goddesses got mad at them for it. They had to protect them even if they were grumpy about it. Or ended up hating what became of their ideas.

At dawn, they as one stepped out into a circle and cast out their decisions. The Magic would be known about. Those who used it. Those who changed. Those who followed the true original ways. The new way would try to dim it, of course, but they would hold on at least somewhat. Others would be called to aid their service to the Goddesses.

It would take years before women were appreciated that way by most but that was not their doing. That was the new way's doing. They fought back against the Goddesses by devaluing women and their contributions. Even if their first saint was one. When they left, the island sank down some as the ground got absorbed into the water so no one else could touch the spot of their Working.

It was done and they went back to the island of Ventotene, where women got banished.

Their goddesses would ask them about their decision but none could undo it. Even if they worked together, which they would not.

***

The Roman Gods, who were really the Greek gods cosplaying, felt the spell going off. They watched as the priestesses of those Seven Goddesses cast a powerful spell to save their higher beings. Most of them were amused but many saw the point of it.

They had seen the way the Roman empire had changed things. They had seen how humanity itself was changing. How some minor religions were gaining members and power, though it'd be generations before they got big enough to threaten the Roman way of life. While the two head gods decided to be just amused and let them do as they would, many of their family were pleased. It meant they'd be remembered.

***

Hecate appeared to her highest priestess, staring at her. She was passing through Greece, so at least she was near her home area. The priestess noticed her and went to her knees immediately even though they were in a marketplace. Hecate smirked at the nearby sellers, who knew to ignore any Gods coming near them.

She stared at her high priestess. "Many of us like that you did that prayer," she said. "And that spell." The young woman smiled but nodded and didn't look up. "However things will still change. As Rome took some of our jobs and gave them to men, they'll give more to men."

She looked up at her. "We know but we can't let our Goddesses fade," she said quietly.

"Which we all agreed with." She smiled. "Persephone nearly had an orgasm about your spell, dear." She moved closer, tipping her face up. "Go to our Celtic ones, priestess." She nodded quickly. "They need to guard their Fae," she said quietly. "Also their changers have some of the original lines. Even in the future. Many see the power of expanding the changer lines. Including Mars."

"They would not be warriors."

She smiled. "Many could be if pushed that way. Especially dragons." She nodded she understood that. "But we'll persevere. You did the right thing." She looked up then at her. "Times will become dark, daughter. Very dark. For many centuries. Do follow the dictates of how the Goddess of Family handles things. They'll need to protect the youngest ones in the temples or in sanctioned orphanages."

She sighed. "The future is murky and dangerous for us all. And then we'll come back into prominence just as humanity is ready to die. Also, let them know that you're not alone. There's others of our people out in the stars of Asteria." She smiled at the shocked look. "Yes, we're not that unique. There's others out there. No one's going to really realize it until that same time when humanity nearly dies." She grimaced at the God appearing beside her. "Ares."

He smirked and nodded. "I've made sure some of my priests will always exist," he admitted, looking at the priestess. "Your people may lean on mine and Artemis' people. They'll have ones who silently pray to her, even if they don't realize it." He looked at Hecate again. Then glared at a staring seller. Who looked away again.

He looked at Hecate again. "The changer part was brilliant. They'll be a good signpost and a good anchoring point. But they're not going to be mine. Even the ones that say they are." He shrugged slightly but smirked at the priestess. "Also, serve your other Goddesses, priestess. You'll need a lineage of all of you."

She looked up at him. "I can't have children, Lord Ares."

He blinked. "She can't," Hecate said. "She can do what a priestess of the Family will do and adopt however." She looked at her. "Because we'll need more of us to survive and you can find many orphans up there that are being taken care of but not well enough."

"I'll travel once I get home to tell my own temple, Lady Hecate. If that pleases you?"

"It does," she agreed. "Go to my people in the Celts. Tell them of the spell, of the prophecies, of the needs." She stared at her. "Send your others to do the same announcing. We'll need to tell all the others of our peoples on this planet and plane. They and the Norse have many contacts that can pass that on." The priestess nodded at that. "Good girl."

"The changers up there have fewer dragons but more in the prey that Artemis hunts," Ares told her. "They need to also unite, not fully as I doubt the dragons' egos will allow that. But they need to be of one mind to get through the upcoming ...centuries," he finished with a sigh. "Once our Rome starts to fall, things will get dark for centuries as new religions raise." She looked up at him. "Seriously," he said dryly.

"Like the ones in the Crescent region, Lord Ares?"

"A few offshoots and they're going to war for centuries. Within and with each other really. None of them in my glorious name or for the betterment of people, but over ideology. It makes me sad," he said dryly, smirking at her.

She nodded, looking down again. "I can see that, Lord Ares. It's best to war for the right reasons, not just to spat and prove your balls."

"True." He nodded. "Though sometimes those are fun to handle. Gives me some stress relief." He smirked at Hecate, who raised an eyebrow. "Not always but sometimes they are fun."

She snorted. "Not for the women in the way," she said dryly.

"That's kept down inbreeding," he shot back.

She blinked. "I had not thought of that, though there has to be a better, safer, *nicer* way."

"Most men don't pay attention to that, Hecate. Which I have noted is a bad idea. I know how strong a Goddess can be."

She patted him on the cheek. "Good." She looked at her priestess. "Go home, spread the news, then go North." She nodded, looking up at her again. "Adopt, child. Start a strong lineage of those who'll *remember*. Somehow."

"Yes, Goddess Hecate."

"Good girl. Now, get lunch too. You're hungry." She smirked and faded out.

Ares looked at her. "If you find Thor, make sure he *remembers*. He's a part-time stupid boy. Or at least pretends to be. Loki would remember. Odin won't care. Thor..." He sighed. "Someday he'll grow up."

She smiled a bit. "I've heard of his rumors, Lord Ares. Should I search him out or perhaps Lord Loki instead? Or your counterpart Tyr?"

"Do all three. Tyr will want different things remembered. And if you can find Heimdall, tell him! Someday he'll have to prompt someone to take your spell and make sure humanity survives." He smirked as he disappeared.

"Yes, Lord Ares," she agreed, getting up and getting some fruit on her way to the shipping areas so she could get home quickest. Then she'd clean up, report, and go North. As she had been commanded.

***

The High Priestess bowed to the Fae Queen, then stared at her, hands going up her sleeves to stop them from shaking. The queen was powerful feeling. "I'm the High Priestess of Our Lady of Magic, Your Highness. I come to pass on messages from our version of the Goddess."

The Fae Queen, the daughter of Titania, stared at her for a moment. "We know of the spell your kind did."

"Yes, because we foresaw men killing our Goddesses. We were all in agreement. Including our Goddesses agreeing we were correct to do so. But I also bring up a message from My Lady Hecate." The queen smirked at that a bit. "There comes a great time of darkness. When Men try to take over it all. When religions that do not honor any woman, but especially not natural ones, rule the world and fight among themselves for power.

"Your people, and our people, are all in danger from it. That's why we did the spell. She noted that you needed to be informed and that the Changers should at least unify to stay strong. Even Lord Ares, who appeared during our talk, said that they had to unite in purpose even though they'd never agree to really and truly work together."

"We've seen such starting from the Romans."

"The religions from the Crescent region will someday overcome the more natural polytheistic religions. Our dragon changers are being prompted by Romans to expand their lines for power. It took their matriarchs and made them more subservient, as they wanted because the Romans couldn't get much past the matriarchs."

The queen nodded. "I've seen them flattering a few of ours."

"Yes, but if and when that other religion comes, they won't appreciate the changers at all. Many call them demonic because they can use Lady Magic's skills to change." She sighed. "My Lady Hecate wanted you all warned and it noted so you'd remember when it was needed."

"I can agree we need to remember that it won't be permanent. The Changers should be able to work together even if they're not going to be totally respectful. Dragons don't like those who're herbivores."

The priestess smiled. "There's grace in each type and species of creature on this planet, as the Lady of the Life and Family proves. Many of them still know of us. Some of them have come up with the Romans to hide among people more like them and less forced into the Roman's presses."

"We've noticed," she sighed. She accepted the scroll the priestess handed over. "We will guard this knowledge."

"Our Lady of Magic would appreciate that. Many of yours serve her, even if you do it in other names."

"We do," she agreed with a nod.

"My Goddess Hecate also suggested that we may have to start to take in orphans to protect them in the truth. Even in orphanages or in temples as acolytes."

"We do some of that with orphans but I can see how that could help," she agreed. She looked at her advisor, who was grimacing. "We've all seen those same signs."

"We have," he agreed. "My type of changer does not get along with the dragon changers but we can work toward the same purpose of keeping sane and alive during all this."

"Lady Hecate spoke of centuries, and then we'll come back out as Humanity is about to die of a horrible thing," the priestess told him. "Also to be aware of our brethren who aren't on this plane or planet." He blinked a few times then snickered, shaking his head. She nodded. "We have done a searching and felt them. They're not of us. They're not like we are fully. But they worship the same seven Goddesses."

He stared at her. "Will that come out?"

"Many think about it but none will be able to prove it until humanity nearly falls for good. By the visions some lower have had, it's in about two millennia."

He winced. "That's a long dark period."

"We have time before it starts," the queen said with a hand wave. "We have felt the same things but had no idea who they were. It's interesting that they're in the stars."

"According to the Lady of the Stars and the Lady of the Sun, stars are just suns in other places," the priestess said with a smile for her. "Their light comes to us from farther away so takes longer to reach us."

"A goddess of stars would know of what they were made of," the queen admitted. "It's interesting." She looked over the scroll and let it be passed around. "I will tell the other Fae queens so they may also remember and brace for a long dark time."

"One of the visions had some of you going to hide off-plane or at least out of touch," the priestess said, staring at her. "Though some will remain behind."

She nodded. "That's been discussed as the Romans do annoy us greatly." She grimaced and shifted. "Your Goddess trained you well."

The priestess smiled and bowed. "Thank you, Your Majesty. I hope your people survive easily and happily as can be during that trying time. I must warn our Celtic versions and then the ones to the North."

"They should be warned of many things," she said dryly. "Including to leave our things alone. Before we smite Odin and his Wild Hunt."

The priestess smiled. "I was not asked to warn him but his sons and Heimdall, and Tyr if I could find him."

"Good luck with that, Priestess. Though I agree, our Celtic trading partners need to be warned." She nodded and bowed, backing out to go do that. The queen looked at her advisor. "We knew something was coming. The portents were certain."

He nodded. "They were," he agreed. "It make sense with the changing nature of Rome that it'll fall to Men's ideology that ignores the fruitfulness of women's gifts." She grimaced but nodded. "We can work with our nearby groups to stay safer and saner during it. We'll have to hide information. We'll probably need to take good care of orphans ourselves. Such things will leave many."

"True, it will. If only because of the diseases they have that we don't. Call the others in so we may speak and make plans. Two millennia is a long dark time," she finished with a sigh. He nodded, bowing as he went to gather them. It was going to be a long meeting.

***

A decade later, the daughter of that same priestess, who had seen her parents killed in front of her but was rescued by the priestess' own weapons, bowed to the man in the town square. "Lord Loki, I bring my mother's news," she said quietly, staring at him. "As many of you have tried to avoid."

The musician stared at her. "I'm not Loki, child."

She smiled. "I'm a future priestess of Our Lady of Magic, Lord Loki. I can tell who has it and who doesn't." He glared. She smiled. "My mother is the High Priestess of Our Lady of Magic. Hecate sent her wandering to spread news of not only the spell they did to keep us all stronger, but also of the Dark Times that are coming."

He looked at her. "Why would it concern us?"

"Because our religions will be partially forgotten and the rest pushed under the covers of night. The ones of Men are coming instead."

He grimaced. "I've seen a few of those. Are they coming soon?"

She handed over the scroll she carried. "She was told to tell you and your brother, plus Lords Tyr and Heimdall. Lord Ares asked her to specifically warn those two as well as you. And hoped that your brother would remember."

He took it to read over, grimacing at what it contained. "That's...sad."

She nodded. "My mother agreed it would be a sad, dark time. For two millennia. Then Lord Heimdall would have to make sure that the ones who could save humanity from a final death would remember."

He nodded. "We may be the only ones left at that time." He looked at her. "Odin will sneer."

"She was not asked to tell Odin or your mother. She was asked to tell you and your brother, plus Lords Tyr and Heimdall."

He considered that. "It could mean they fall before then," he said.

She shrugged. "I was not made aware of that and Mother has a fever right now so sent me. It can't really wait as Rome comes this way to go against your Norse people to conquer them."

He read it over again. "I can foresee that happening. Heimdall and Tyr both have temples in the area."

"I ran into you first," she said happily. "Lord Ares knew you'd remember."

"I will remember this. I may need to help whoever saves humanity at that time."

She winced and rubbed her head. "Nay, Lord Loki, one who sent and tortured you is behind it. With the glove." She stared at him, eyes bloodshot. "The vision speaks of purple men and golden gloves with stones. Of a Changer who isn't a priestess yet will act as one. When One must become all of the Seven to protect them all." She rubbed her forehead again, passing out.

"I hate those things. She had a vision," he announced. "Get a healer!" One came running over. "Her mother, the Priestess of Lady Magic, sent her and she had a vision," he said more quietly.

"She's in bad shape," the healer said, getting her taken back to her house to work on her. They had to know what she had seen.

Loki gathered his lute and went to Heimdall's temple. No Heimdall so he summoned him. "Get Tyr and my brother," he ordered calmly. "A priestess sent her daughter to warn us." He handed over the scroll. "Someday you'll be the one making sure that humanity survives by prompting that one who'll save us all from the purple one with the golden glove with stones on it."

Heimdall frowned but read it over, grimacing. "I have seen such myself. The spell was necessary to safeguard them from being removed from history completely. The Dark Times are coming." He looked up. "Why is it my duty?"

He shrugged. "Ares said so apparently. He wanted you and Tyr warned. Lady Hecate said to warn myself and my brother, who they hoped would remember."

Heimdall sighed. "He may not until something jogs his mind," he agreed. "His head is full of other things." He got them summoned. Thor walked in looking smug. "A priestess showed up with information from Her Lady Magic."

Thor winced. "The Seven Goddesses sort?"

Loki nodded. "The priestess herself is apparently ill. Her daughter had a vision in front of me of One who will Act as if all Seven to save them all. Hecate and Ares sent them up to warn more of us."

Thor grimaced but took the scroll to read over, then huffed. "Such darkness would not come!"

"It comes already," Heimdall said. "Rome comes for our Norsemen to conquer and they have skills we do not. It will take time but they will win, partially. We'll survive and some of our ways will survive but be more subdued and hidden."

Thor grimaced at that. "That is foulness."

"Yes, well, it's *Rome*," Loki said dryly. Tyr came in with his current deer over his shoulders, taking the scroll that Thor held out. "Ares wanted you and Heimdall warned specially about that. Lady Hecate sent her High Priestess up to warn Thor and Myself."

Tyr read it, grimacing. "That is not good," he agreed. "How long can such darkness last? A few generations?"

"Two millennia," Loki said. "By her vision."

Tyr blinked a few times, staring at him. "Millennia!" he demanded, dropping his deer.

Loki nodded. "That same damnable city that come against our peoples."

"Who will eventually win. They have technologies we don't," Heimdall agreed.

Tyr grimaced. "Then we must make sure we have peoples who can withstand that. Peoples we protect, who know and understand."

Thor nodded. "Aye, we need to up the people on Asgard so they can survive as well. What of that spell?"

"To make sure the Seven Goddesses can't be killed off," Loki said simply. "And so the changers are known about so they can't be killed off."

Heimdall considered it. "The changers do need to unite, if not work together, to make sure they can survive to that point and thrive afterward. Too many bloodlines were diluted by the Romans offering them power to change their ways so they could have money."

Loki rolled his eyes. "Many men do things for gold that they wouldn't do for any other reason. Them giving the dragon changers slaves to widen the bloodlines is just a simpler one." He looked at Thor. "Ares himself wanted Tyr and Heimdall told so they'd remember and take action. You were told to remember but Hecate thought you might not fully remember for some reason. Which means you may be involved in the side effects or something."

Thor grimaced. "That's odd."

"Yes, but there's been a few visions," Heimdall admitted. "Which can fit into that. Including you and Odin having a fight at some point in time and you losing your hammer." Thor looked horrified, hugging her to his chest. "In the middle of it you wouldn't necessarily remember but something will probably jog the memory, Thor. Which means you're involved."

"If they're right and humanity will almost die out, I hope more of us are involved in fighting that," Tyr complained. "I would not let that go on without stepping in!"

Heimdall nodded. "The visions have all ended on one word we know not the meaning of. Ragnarok." They all looked confused. "We have no idea what moment that speaks of yet. No visions have also mentioned that word, no events, no histories. Which could be explained by that intervening Dark Times. Two millennia is a long time for new visions to occur."

He considered it. "We have our own Seven Goddesses and their temples. I will pass that scroll on so they can record it and know so they remember. We must all pick those who must carry on. Healers, talented peoples, ones who will thrive on Asgard and keep us strong through everything."

Tyr nodded. "A few of my warriors would do good with such, Heimdall. I will introduce you to them so you can vet them?"

"Father will be peeved," Thor warned.

Heimdall looked at him. "I'll tell him myself, Thor. If Ares, who is excellent at strategy, wanted us specifically told, there's a reason why us. Why not your father or mother."

He nodded. "Good point." He looked at their war god, who shrugged but nodded he agreed. "Let me know what part I must play."

"Of course," Heimdall agreed. Thor left them to their plans. He looked at Loki. "Speak of her vision to me. That way I can record it." Loki put up a scrying so he could see it for himself. Heimdall made notes. Tyr was grimacing but did pick up his deer so he could bring it home to cook then look over his warriors to pick the best who'd survive and bring honor to Asgard.

Heimdall went up to gather the priestesses to talk to them with Odin. "We have had emissaries from the Seven Goddesses," he announced. Frigga sat up straighter, staring at him. Odin looked confused. "The Seven Absolute Goddesses," he told him. Then he presented the scroll to the priestesses. "The High Priestess of Lady Hecate sent her daughter, as she's ill, to follow Lady Hecate's orders on spreading that news."

They read it and passed it on. The head of the temple to Frigga and magic nodded. "We felt that spell," she agreed. "Knew and understood why as we do serve the Lady of Magic ourselves. How long can that dark time be though?"

"Two millennia," he said dryly. Odin sat up straighter so Heimdall told him what had been told and found out. Including about that vision. Frigga was very upset with that idea. "So we must make some plans to stay strong. When Hecate sent her priestess up to warn others, apparently Ares joined in to add those to warn. Specifically myself and Tyr."

"You would remember," Frigga agreed. "Tyr would need to protect us. But two millennia?"

"Rome is the one that is going against our Norsemen and will conquer them some year soon, My Queen. With them come other religions that are not as natural, not as centered, and not as friendly to women."

She sighed but nodded. "As we all saw when the spell went off." She took the scroll to look at from her priestess, frowning at it. "Oh, dear." She let Odin have it and he groaned. "Who was specifically to be warned, Heimdall?"

"Myself, Tyr, Loki, and Thor. Though it was noted that Thor may not fully remember until it was time to remember. Which showed he may be part of it."

"With the visions of him having an argument that made him lose his hammer and end up on Midgard, that may be that time," the Priestess of Death's goddess said quietly. The others nodded at that. "The people in the vision were different. It was noted they didn't think he was truly Thor, that he was just a myth."

Odin groaned. "We are not mythical."

"Yet," Frigga said, looking at him. "If other religions force ours out of the way then we'll only be remembered as stories told by our peoples."

"Tyr will be adding some warriors up here to protect us," Heimdall said. "He'll let me vet them."

The priestess of Life and Family nodded, crossing her arms on her stomach. "Yes, we should also go make sure we have children," she said quietly. "Just in case so the truth survives. Our orders survive." Frigga stared at her. She stared back at her goddess. "If there's none there to worship or tell the tales, then those ones will not survive well, Lady Frigga. That's why they did the spells."

"The changers must be made aware that they have to find a way to work together," the priestess of death noted. "Right now they don't and are barely not at war. The dragons in Rome were flattered and changed because of it. They didn't want to listen to the wise council of their matriarchs. Totally discounted their wisdom and took control from them for the gains they were given."

Frigga grimaced but nodded. "I've seen such happen in a few places." She looked at Odin, who looked like he was angry, again. Then at the others. "What can we do?"

"Make plans to survive and remember," Heimdall said simply. "Encourage Asgard itself to flourish as the last bastion of our people. Bring the most important up to make sure we have a thriving people. We would need more spouses. Asgard only has a thousand scholars. Even fewer warriors. We must make sure our people survive this dark time."

"What if it does not happen?" Odin demanded.

"Then that will not harm us any," Heimdall said. "Expanding Asgard itself will make us more steady and more stable plus probably more wanted as allies by others." He stared at his king. "It will not harm us any and we would look better if we did strengthen our people so they did not die off of having no spouses they weren't related to."

"We need to do so anyway," the Priestess of Life and Family agreed with a nod. "It's best done when we're at our highest strength so our people are diverse of parentage."

"We can defeat them," Odin ordered.

"No, we on Asgard could," Heimdall said. "The ones on Midgard who are our claimed people cannot," he corrected. "We did not share that knowledge with them, Odin. Rome's skills are already overwhelming them too often."

Odin considered that. "Fine. Build Asgard to be stronger to stand this 'dark times'," he sneered. "Though we will not need it. We can go from simple villages to a city."

Heimdall nodded at that permission. "I'll talk with Tyr about who he wants to protect the city for us." He looked at the priestesses. "Your orders will have needs?"

"We will make lists of those with skills that will settle well up here," the head of the order of Family and Life agreed with a slight nod. "Plus set up an orphanage in case it is needed." Frigga smiled and nodded at that idea. "I will also make sure our skalds have ideas. That way the stories are known for longer. We will need to become the myths for that dark time to survive."
The other priestesses nodded at that idea. It would help. They bowed and left to start their plans. Heimdall went to start his own. Asgard would turn into a grand city. One to be spoken of for the ages. One of legends.

***

Tyr looked at Ares at their neutral meeting spot. "Why have you not built up your people?" he asked his counterpart.

"I realized I started too late. The ones I should have brought to safety were in Greece. Rome's are too problematic. I've restarted the cult to me to create ones in the future who'll be able to handle wars for me." He tipped his head to the side. "Use yours to up your city as well. The city itself will need to become a legend so it's remembered by mortals." He grimaced. "And sorry about some of yours in the next two years." He grinned and winked.

"Fuck. That moved up my timetable."

Ares nodded. "It does."

"Have you talked to the changers?"

"Many times," he said dryly, nodding a bit. "They don't want to listen. Yours?"

"Pouting. As usual. We have many more herbivores than other types."

Ares nodded. "We tend toward the more strong creatures," Ares realized. "Hmm. That could be a huge problem if they try to take control instead of making an agreement. I'll talk to them later. Or send Artemis. They like her."

Tyr nodded. "Many do like her," he agreed. "She's a great huntress." Ares smirked at that. "I can't outdo her."

"Point. The other pantheons?"

"We don't have that much contact but we have told our mortal representatives to spread that news to their trading partners."

"That could help as well," Ares agreed. "I need to do that. Nice idea, Tyr."

"Thanks." He smirked at the goddess showing up, nodding politely at Frigga. "My queen."

Frigga looked at Ares. "What if we go around that prophecy?"

"That religion's already started," he said dryly. "It's already trying to warp other areas. It's spread into Rome but they're hating it at this point. Foreseeing, it'll be worse. They'll take over because people want something to believe in and something new.

"They're taking our holidays to assimilate others by telling them they're the same but only have one God so you don't have to remember as many holidays. Hestia agreed that we've seen some future emperor buying into it. Probably within a century." She grimaced at that problem.

"Once they get in control, our whole way of life is screwed to be blunt. The ones with Sight saw us fading almost completely into myths and then being rediscovered. Some of that will be helped by the changers remembering for us. Hera is livid that this is coming out now, too late for us to avoid things."

"The seven priestesses acted when they could," Frigga admitted. "It was a special event." She sighed, looking at Tyr. "The city's plans?"

"Heimdall has those, My Queen. I'm having him vet all the people I import to protect. Thor wanted more inns and halls to come up as well so people weren't as bored. Which is a point, bored warriors cause problems."

Ares laughed but nodded. "Yes they do. And you can probably have Hercules too. He's pouty and sulking." Frigga stared at him. Ares smirked a bit, crossing his arms over his chest. "He wanted a changer maiden to be his next wife. She refused, her family refused and had to move her to get her away from his suit. Hera told him to stop it before she sent him to do diplomatic events on Atlantis."

"The city one or the fabled one that's really not all that special?" Frigga asked.

"The Fabled one. Hera hates them like Tartarus," he said with a smug look. "It's still *there* so he'd have to travel for a few centuries."

She nodded. "I can see that being a punishment for him. Though I heard most have done something called Ascending?"

"Basically doing what the Hindu pantheon did," Ares told her with a slight nod. "Becoming a spirit that's still able to affect things."

"Ah." She nodded, grimacing at that. "That's ...disturbing really but so were those people that tried to claim they were us to fight those snaked ones."

Tyr grinned at her. "I had a lot of fun going against those sort, My Queen. They were *fun*. Thor and Loki had good fun as well!"

"Good for them. Saved me some work as a warrior queen," she said dryly. She looked at Ares. "Tell your mother I said hello." He nodded so she disappeared, leaving them to their talk or bragging and comparing like usual. She didn't want to see the ale drinking and then wrestling for status afterwards it usually devolved to.

Tyr shook his head, looking at his counterpart. "Have we told the other pantheons?"

"They haven't listened," he admitted. "We've been spreading it to the mortals though. The changers really will become a fulcrum of force at times when they want to use it. They just need to unite in purpose."

"Prompting that would make them stubborn not to, at least in ours," Tyr said with a slight, slow nod. "But we can perhaps find a way to suggest that they at least work together on things. They do have great craftspeople like the dwarves. And that may be the best solution. I should go visiting." Ares smirked and nodded, leaving to let him do that. Tyr went to visit some dwarven friends he had. "We must talk of visions that have started," he told that one.

Who wasn't the king but was a trainer of warriors. He could spread it among his own people and have them talk to the changers. A few of the students were actually changers themselves so that would help. He settled at the table to speak of the things going on and that spell the priestesses had done. They'd need their help to upgrade the city of Asgard itself as well.

***

Loki looked at the other chaos gods who had come at his invitation. Which was most of them. A few of them hated him and a few were wary of him but had sent someone from their own pantheons at least. "How many of you felt or saw that spell the Seven Goddess' priestesses sent out?" he asked. He was kicked back, one leg over the arm of the chair, glass of wine in one hand. A few scowled at that. "They were correct. Visions have come." He handed them over.

Discord looked, grimacing. "Ares said we were too late to handle that ourselves. The ones we'd save now aren't going to stay worthy of it." She handed them on. "Are yours?"

"Heimdall's handling it. If you only have a few, you could ask him to include them."

"I may. I know a few poets and the like who could use saved as historians." She looked at her direct counterpart from Egypt, who was grimacing. "You have avatars in yours."

"We do," she agreed. "That may keep us steady through these times coming up." She passed them on with a sigh. "How long could it last?"

"Two millennia by some visions," Loki said, staring at her. She slumped, heaving a sigh. "Then we'll be remembered from the myths told of us and people will start to believe again when pagans come back into fashion." He sipped his wine then grimaced, chilling it again. "Then we'd have something fairly bad that'll try to take out most of humanity." He handed over that scroll to her. "The adopted daughter of one of the high priestesses had that one in front of me."

The Egyptian goddess read it over, then grimaced. "Why is he purple? Hindu ones are blue, not purple."

"He's not from them," Discord said. "One of mine saw the purple man with the stones in a fancy glove snapping." She looked at Loki. "Is he space born?"

He nodded. "From what we can tell, yes. Which will bring more knowledge about space to the forefront. Which will cause problems but solve others. We've even seen a new age of heroes."

Discord snorted at that, shaking her head. "More trouble than they're worth," she quipped.

Loki shrugged. "Thor was warned so he'd remember sometime," he told her. She straightened up. "We believe he's going to be part of that mess somehow, yes. Mother is most delighted," he finished sarcastically. "But the rest of you must know and at least get the myths set up for yourselves if you can't up your protected peoples.

"That new religion is not against burning books and banning knowledge as they assimilate by taking over our ways and then going 'look, we have the same things only fewer'," he finished dryly. Then he took another sip of his wine to keep calm. "We cannot be forgotten enough to truly fade, even if some pantheons will go to sleep until they're remembered."

"We thought the Twilight was going to be easier to bear," Discord complained.

"I'm not sure if this has taken out that prophecy or not," Loki admitted. "It's not the One Way that one spoke of, Discord." She stared at him then moaned and hit the table. "Someone needs to ask a true visionary about that. Not one of the Pythia people but a true seer."

"Agreed," the chaos god from a lesser African tribe agreed. "We must all have our peoples remembered somehow."

"We have heard that the changers will remember and be known," Loki offered. "But they need to work in the same direction. Even if the dragon ones want to eat the others at times."

"They can start to work as a council," Discord said. "I will prompt that tonight. Though they're not really appreciating women because of the Romans."

"The matriarchs will end up ruling things, even if those others push them away. As the priestesses prompted with the wish," Loki said with a grin for her. "They'll all remember someday but we have to leave things to be remembered by."

The Egyptian one nodded. "We have many myths."

"Like the Romans, they won't because they don't know the language," Discord told her. "They've discounted many peoples being just as good as they are because they speak a different language. Can you leave a translation guide too?"

She considered it. "I can leave something carved so it'll last. Scrolls may not last long enough. Two millennia is a long time for things to last," she said, rubbing her forehead. "Will our temples even last?"

The others shared a look then got to work figuring out how to make sure things lasted so people would be able to remember someday. Some preservation spellwork would have to happen on certain items to make sure they could last.

***

At the end of the first millennium, Ares and Tyr met in Rome. It was the site of a former temple that no one remembered who it was to anymore. Ares was dressed as a priest, for some reason. Tyr was dressed in nice enough breeches and a shirt, looking like a hunter that he was most of the time. Tyr looked at him oddly, getting a smirk back. "Are you having fun?" he asked dryly.

"Not really," Ares admitted. "It's a pain in my ass." He sat down and made sure no one else was going to come in. "How's it going?"

"Odin is frustrated. Their last Wild Hunt went over a Fae community house. So we're almost at war but your people are making them hide too much."

Ares nodded. "I heard and suggested they go into hiding from the church as that brought attention from those who believed like Saint Patrick did. So they're hiding better but if they catch one of his they're going to get hurt."

"He tried to send Loki, who promised he'd marry their princess." He sat down with a sigh. "How many more years?"

"There was a vision by another priestess last decade." He made it appear to hand it over. Tyr read it and moaned, shaking his head. "So at least another millennia. We were right about the two millennia thing. Plus a half a decade it seems." He shifted, looking at the doorway then at him. "That's ...a higher up."

"I'll blow their minds," Tyr said dryly, staring at him. "Anything else we must hear? Frigga's being angry this week that Odin cheated. Again."

"Not really. Hera's still asleep and so is Zeus. Most of the siblings are too. Though Hercules is still around being an annoying ass."

"Saw him," Tyr quipped with a smirk. "He was in an ale hall. Singing. Drunk and singing. Missing Iolus."

"Oh, those poor skalds," he muttered, shaking his head. The higher priest was trying to get in and not managing it. Ares sighed and looked at Tyr, who grinned and brought down the shield for him to not bust him with the normals. Ares nodded. "He wanted to know of some of his people," he noted dryly. He looked at Tyr again. "Was Hannibal yous?"

"Since he was from Carthage, I'm guessing he was from somewhere down there," he said with a grin. "Perhaps an ex-girlfriend of the one you were named after." He winked and stood up with a nod for the priest.

"Who be you, demon!" he shouted.

"I'm Tyr. Norse God of Valiant Heros." The priest gave him the most horrified look. "I came to see what one of our offspring has done without us watching over them." He shrugged. "We did not choose our heirs and he did not choose us but he seems worthy of my aegis." He looked at Ares. "Thank you for helping me find our offspring. Frigga will be pleased as his grandmother was one of her handmaidens."

Ares nodded. "He's more hidden than not but he seems to be a good enough man. Follows most rules. Sticks up for those who need it, as our God demands." He looked at the higher priest then looked at Tyr again. "If you need to check on him again, let me know."

"I shall. Thank you, Father." He disappeared, making the other priest gasp in horror.

"The man lived where I had served in the past. Tyr's checked on him more than once to make sure he grew up worthy."

"He's not real!"

"I'm not hallucinating but I don't tell others about such things. If you do, that's your decision." He stood up. "I'm off to do my nightly prayers, as I'm called to do. Did you need me to hear your confession tonight, Father?"

"I..." He huffed. "You consorted with an immoral being!"

"He's nearly a virgin god," he said dryly. "He's barely been married and is away often enough by the myths that his wife can't pick him out of a group of men. He's not immoral. He hunts for his people, he makes sure they're protected from those who'd attack them. So he's like the guard over our Pope is. Only he's from up north."

"He is immoral! He is not of our God!"

Ares shrugged. "Many people aren't of our God, Father. That one in particular is older than our faith is. By the myths he was born before Judea was named."

"How dare you defend him! I'll have you named a heretic." He tried to hit Ares, who blocked it and put out his radiance. "What are you! Demon!" he shouted.

"No, I'm not a demon." He smirked. "But using your faith to spread my greatness and warriors, it's very easy." He changed into his old uniform and look. The priest was whining and shaking his head. "By the way, I'm Ares, or Mars if you're a local." He winked and disappeared with all his stuff in the back.

The priest left to tell the higher ups about all that. They decided to burn the church just in case those powers left unholiness there. That priest got put into a 'hospital' so he couldn't tell anyone. They'd make sure no one had heard. Though the changers that they hated had known and recorded it. They kept better histories than the Church did. Truer histories too. Ares was just a minor blip in their histories.

***

It was the nineties. The nineteen nineties at least. Tyr came out of hiding to meet with Ares again. "Soon?" he asked, sounding pained. "My daughter whines with her stomach."

"It's called colic," Ares said dryly, sipping his cup of Starbucks on a park bench in Germany. "They do that. All mine did too. They grow out of it in a few months. Or they turn into my mother." He took another sip then put his cup on his thigh when Tyr sat down. "The one in that prophecy is born," he offered.

Tyr smiled at that news. "So nearly over? We can come into the open again?"

"Soon," he agreed with a nod. "Others are looking at our pasts. Our myths are studied in colleges. Though many have weird ideas," he said dryly. "Discord is really pissed that they often forget her."

"I would be scared of your sister as well."

"She's made life...interesting for a few scholars." He smirked at the man appearing. "Loki." He nodded slightly.

"It's soon," he said. "Within two decades." Tyr sighed in pleasure. "A new vision last month." He let them see it then sat down.

Ares read it and grimaced, handing it to Tyr. "What the hell is that?" Tyr muttered.

Loki looked over. "That is Odin's fault." He smirked a bit. "We haven't told him but Mother knows. She was annoyed for days." He looked at Ares then at their war god again. "The changers aren't ready yet. They forgot why they started to unite in purpose. The priestesses know but don't *know*."

"I'll talk to Hecate," Ares promised. "She's floating around somewhere giggling about the witch movies. She thought the Craft was *charming*."

"It was," Loki admitted then grinned at the one strolling towards them. "Lady Eris."

"Loki. Tyr." She looked at Ares, who handed over the scroll. She read it and sighed. "I'll talk to a few of them tonight. They pray to me to keep me away." She handed it back. "Any other good news?"

"The one in the first is born," Loki offered. "Not old though."

She nodded. "Good!" She rubbed her forehead. "All right. We'll handle that. I'll talk to a few changers I know." She looked at Tyr, who grinned at her. "Your house?"

"My daughter whines about her stomach. My wife is pleased about that."

"Colic sucks. My son's colic sucked greatly. It nearly drove people to move for a few years to get away from him." Ares laughed at that, nodding a bit. He had went on a long vacation for it. "Tell her I said to use a warm sand bag for the baby to lay on her stomach on but to watch her to make sure she's breathing all right."

"I will. Thank you, Lady Eris."

"Welcome." She pinched him on the cheek then looked at Loki again. "What are you doing?"

He grinned. "Many wicked things, like usual. Just not down here really. I leave Midgard to its own peoples and watch the pleasing chaos they create."

Ares nodded. "It has been amusing a few times. Can we mitigate it somewhat?"

"Get the age of heroes started sooner," Loki quipped. "The world could use something to believe in again." He stood up, smiling at Eris. "Let me know if you need my help." He disappeared.

Ares finished his coffee and banished the cup. It startled a nearby woman, who stared at him oddly for that magical use. He grinned at her. "Peace be with you, Priestess."

She came over. "I'm not. My sister is one. I was trained but I never went past acolyte, sir. You are?"

"Ares." He smirked. "This is my sister Eris, my compatriot Tyr."

She gasped and looked at them. "Oh, dear. I'll tell the highers you were gathering. Is there an issue?"

"They forgot to remember," Eris told her. "There's prophecies coming. Within two decades. The young one is alive now. We've got to prompt others to remember."

"Which one?" she asked, wincing some. "Is it the one about the Babe, Lady Discord?"

"No. We're not sure when that babe comes. It's why your priestesses talked to others in other areas. They'll remember when prompted. If not, their Goddess will certainly remember."

"I'll let them know," she said, bowing to them. "Peace be on your houses, Lords and Lady." She left, calling her sibling as she walked off. "Put me on with the Priestess, Sis. No, it's hella bad! Like super hella bad! We forgot a prophecy bad!"

Her sister apparently huffed but did get one of the senior priestesses so she explained what she had seen and been told. She looked back but they were gone. The priestess promised she'd go figure out which prophecy. They were all looking out for that baby to be born as a child of two of the Goddesses.

***

Eris appeared in front of a Changer Council in Rome. She stared at the one who knew her. The others were staring at her oddly since she had just appeared.

"Are you a priestess?" one asked.

She smiled. "I've been asked that before but I'm Eris." She smirked at the one who prayed to her.

"Lady Discord," that one said with a swallow. "Did I transgress?"

"No. You forgot. The prophecy that came when the changers were spared from the Church. It'll be within twenty years."

He looked up, alarmed. "Get the book! The history! The old one!" he called. A guard went running to get that Council's historian and his book. "The other one." He ran off to get it and brought it back so they could go over it. He read it and stared at her, getting a nod back for it being that one. "Soon?" he asked.

"Within twenty years. She's born. I'm not sure how old though. Ares has been keeping track of her lineage." She shrugged. "Which means worse comes and she's one of yours."

The historian looked at her. "You are in a painting we have in the Council in London," he realized.

She pinched him on the cheek. "I sure am, baby." She looked at her acolyte, who nodded. "This is why we made you start to work together."

"We can do that," he promised, swallowing again. "That purple one?"

"Space motherfucker? Genocidal fuckhead worse than my brother? Yeah, that's Thanos. We learned of his name a few generations back." That one nodded, and the historian made notes about all this. "Make sure they know how to do what they have to do. She'll learn from the others in the Orders but she's a changer of some kind. We know that. It's what let her touch a Stone for longer than a minute and survive it."

"I will let the local Temple of Death's handmaidens know," the historian told her with a hopeful smile.

"One of theirs was warned they also forgot." She shrugged. "At least we didn't fade out completely thanks to their wish and spell. Many of the pantheons survived thanks to their wish and us hearing so we could make plans." She strolled over, looking at the historian. "As far as we know there is no way around the prophecy.

"But many will have a part to play before the purple fucker gets here. Many will have a part to play afterward. Especially if we lose. Make sure your peoples work toward making sure we don't lose." She patted him on the cheek. "Tyr has kept in touch with Ares to make sure that that all is going to exist for more years. The same as Loki has."

The historian smiled. "It's good most of you didn't abandon humanity for forgetting, Lady Discord. We need the guidance more than ever with all this knowledge coming out."

"Not all of it will. No one knows about the spell that's not in a temple. Or about how the councils formed. Do something on tv like a movie of the week? It may make people be less of an asshole to changers."

The head of the council smiled and nodded. "We would appreciate that. Many hate us right now. Especially some of our women."

"That's because they didn't forget that you guys went from a matriarchy to letting Romans charm you with slaves and gold to get your wealth and privilege. They hate the shit you've started to push on them again." She smirked a bit. "Women's lib made them stand up and remember."

Her acolyte winced but nodded. "They should remember. It was stupid and vain of us. Especially those who demanded deer changers breed so they had an icon of Diana."

She smiled and nodded. "I remember and laughed my ass off that most of them got stabbed by horns for it." She smirked at him. "Let the matriarchs come back. Women run the house and the family. After all, they teach the children before they get to school." She disappeared.

Her acolyte blinked then nodded at the historian. "We must remember and share our stories."

"We should," he agreed. "Let me tell the other historians." He bowed and went to call them. He had been ordered. It had to be done and had to come forward to help humanity. It's why the Councils were created apparently.

They had to make sure it was something that young women would want to watch and emulate or learn from. Like the Star Wars movies were to many normals.

***

In LA, a twenty-something Tony Stark came home from the movie premiere looking less than amused. "It was a girly movie about changers," he complained to his new assistant, Pepper. He'd only had her for a few weeks.

She nodded. "They're telling their histories so the younger ones know why they formed." She grinned. "Was it well done?"

"It was a bit fantastic. There was something about an ancient spell that protected the changers during the early parts of the Church. They can't do that!"

"There's magic in this world, Tony. There's a whole group of temples to Goddesses of Magic. The Seven Goddesses people." She stared at him. "They took it from the histories. They invited you specifically, though they didn't say why."

"Do we think Dad did something to upset them?" he joked. She shrugged and walked off. "Huh. Very weird. I'll watch for one to come see me about whatever thing is going on or inviting me was about. Not like they probably need weapons." He went to get a drink, pushing that to the back of his mind. He'd remember but not worry. The information would show up sometime.

***

The Director of SHIELD, Peggy Carter in her last year of service, looked at her people, who had went to see the movie for the second time with her at her command. "It's from their histories and I was invited *specifically* to view it."

"The Seven Goddesses people and theirs work together," Nick Fury said, shifting in his seat. "Could this be their way of letting people know that there's a problem coming from them or their kind? Or something coming for their kind?"

"That's plausible," she admitted, considering it. "I'd like to know what though."

"We can ask," Agent Coulson said quietly. "They'd probably tell us why they invited you, Director Carter."

"I know nothing about them."

He nodded. "We have a few Changers within SHIELD. We can ask them," Fury said, looking around then calling one. "Come here now. We need intel." He hung up and they waited. The young agent, a young agent named Brock Rumlow, came in and nearly saluted. He was just out of the SEALs though so he was just like that for now. "Is there any information on why the changers wanted Director Carter to see that movie?"

"Scuttlebutt states there's a prophecy going on. Not now but soonish. It came out during that spell. Someone claiming to be the Goddess Discord told them to share information so people understood. The prophecy comes from the Seven Goddess people. No clue what's in it though. No one's noted it."

"Can we find out?" Peggy Carter asked patiently.

He shrugged. "I'm not sure if the local Council would know, Director. You could ask the one in London. It's fairly old. Ours is fractured and full of stupid here in DC and the one in New York isn't any better."

"I can travel there to see if they'll let me know," she decided. "Do we have anyone from the Seven Goddesses in the agency?"

He shook his head slowly. "They don't tend to come to government service. Maybe some of the Goddess of Death's people but I doubt it."

She tipped her head. "All right. I'll go ask them myself then. Nick, we're going this week." He nodded once at that. "Anything else that's been heard, Agent Rumlow?" she asked.

"There's a kid in the prophecy I think?" He shrugged. "I've heard a few that she's alive now so it'll be sometime in the next twenty years?" He smiled suddenly and snapped. "I've heard mentions of space too. Not sure why." He noticed Nick Fury and Coulson shared a look. "And something about a purple motherfucker was noted in the same talk I almost overheard."

"Purple?" Nick Fury muttered. "Who's purple? Is it like their skin or their clothes?" Rumlow shrugged at that. "We can ask," he decided. Carter nodded she agreed. "Anything from the changers about the movies?"

"We consider them sappy and interesting why we went from matrilineal to warrior centered," he said dryly then smirked a bit. "Some of us like it that way better."

"The movies showed it being Romans doing transactions to get gold," Carter said dryly. "It's a pity they didn't listen to their wives and mothers." Rumlow pouted a bit but didn't complain about that thought. "Nick and I are going to London this coming week."

"I'll make sure you have a guard unit, ma'am." He left to go do that.

She looked at Nick. "That's interesting and I wonder how bad it'll be."

"It can't be good if they went to Hollywood. I'm hoping it's not pre-apologizing for one of theirs doing it." She hummed but nodded at that idea.

***

Peggy Carter walked into the London Changer Council's meeting room, nodding at the ones staring at her. "I'm Director Peggy Carter. Your people invited me to see your new historical drama recently and I'm wondering if there was a reason." She looked interested.

The head of the council nodded. "Yes, there was, but it's not soon. The one we think it's about is a child. Maybe tenish."

"What is about?" Nick asked from behind her.

"There's a prophecy. We know it'll be within twenty years.." They got the historian in to show them. "We knew some of yours would handle this, Director Carter. It was noted in a later version of the vision with the purple one."

"Why is he purple? Is he wearing a lot of purple?" Nick asked.

"No, he's physically purple." He smiled. "He's from space apparently."

Director Carter took the scroll and book to go over, handing them to Nick once she was done. She licked her red lips then nodded once. "Are we sure it's that little one?"

"No. There's many who're fit for that description of a changer who's an acolyte. One who may fit in more than one temple. About forty percent of new acolytes are split somehow."

She blinked then nodded once at that. "All right. So within twenty years?" They nodded. "This is future Director Nick Fury." He smirked at that. "So it's good to let us know. Was anyone else seen?"

"They were invited but have not asked. They may not realize."

"Or they're expecting someone to come to them," she offered.

"We figured that may be in one choice," the head of the council agreed. "But they will know and remember what they've seen when it comes into play."

She nodded. "I can see that. I certainly won't forget." She looked at Nick, who was grimacing.

"No, I'm not forgetting and I'll start planning on how to make a response team to handle big threats to the world." He looked up. "Are the changers in SHIELD having problems with the duties?"

"Not that we've heard. If we do we'd have them be adults and talk about it," another council member said. "That's really individual unless you try to attack the community. As you yourself are one of us... I doubt you'd do that."

"No, I wouldn't. I know better." He handed the historian back the book and scroll. "Twenty years?"

"Within twenty years," the historian said, hugging them to his chest. "The other prophecies noted to us may not involve this one." They were handed over as well. Peggy went through them with a grimace, handing them to Nick. "We're not sure if they're related or not. That's been lost to history."

"Would another group know more?" Peggy asked.

"There's talk of the old Gods," the historian said. "If so, they'd probably realize but I have no idea how we'd talk to them."

Ares appeared, smirking at him. "Some of us do answer prayers to this day. We're bored though." He looked at Peggy, who was staring at him. "I'm Ares, Director Carter." He smirked at her. "Yeah, we all knew. It was why we protected areas, built up mythical cities, we called up warriors to protect ourselves and later on, your people."

He stared at her. "But it won't be mine. We didn't hear until Rome was a big thing," he said dryly. "Too late for us to handle that. Asgard however...." He smirked at Fury. "You're going to overreact. He won't remember, he's just blond that way." He disappeared again.

Peggy blinked a few times then nodded once. "That makes a bit of sense. All right, we'll handle that. If something needs to be looked at by SHIELD, let us know. We will gladly protect humanity from Purple people. I'm a bit worried about anyone who doesn't come in a standard human shade of skin."

The changer smiled at that. "The purple one isn't one of us. There was no note of him changing. Just the tacky glove."

She nodded. "Then we'll remember and mitigate what we can as we go on. Hopefully the movies make people be easier about yours again. The world could use less problems and hate." They smiled at her. "Thank you for letting us know." She bowed slightly and they left, going to the hotel room to make plans and plots. Nick always had a plot or six in his mind. He liked to jump off the chess board to get ahead and sometimes it backfired on him, which just pissed him off.

***

The one who choose which temple the new and future acolytes were trained in looked at his next one to check. She was probably about his seventieth one in the last year that was split between temples. She had some of a few of them. So he started with the standard questions. He was used to bouncy, chattering young women, but this one was super excited.

Her mother was a lower priestess and had trained in a temple. She was a changer too. So she'd need special lessons. Those sort he usually put somewhere less stringent. They probably wouldn't become a full on priestess. This one may never be able to sit still of her own free will. He chose the Goddess of Family and Life for her. She'd get to fuss at people that way and probably find a way to wear out the energy.

TBC....